Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179617Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th July 2012, 11:54 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

220px-Friday7.jpg

This one is both good and bad. Im not overly keen on Tina having telekinesis i know they were trying to bring something new to the series but it just didnt sit well with me. I know i should not be looking too much into it when its a series about a guy that no matter what happens he wont die but i just dont like that in the film. Everything else is great its got Jason the woods lots of kills and naked women so cant complain too much .
Old 15th July 2012, 12:03 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
I haven't seen it in a while but if I remember, it changes to English when they are in South Africa, first with the Butcher when they're buying meat then later on with the S.A. Cops etc...
It is a bit strange why these few lines aren't dubbed over and not sure why they're not but never the less, still one of the most crazy, sickening, and yet highly entertaining films ever.
I didnt think it was as sick as impression i got and heard but yes highly entertaining to be honest i didnt know much about Anthony wong apart from this and untold story so i googled him didnt realise he such a huge actor with the amount of films he"s been in. I might hunt a few more of his film since im not aware to much of him is there any other films along the lines as these 2 mentioned because i enjoyed both of them,
Old 15th July 2012, 12:47 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Sotto il vestito niente/Nothing Underneath - 1985 Italy d: Carlo Vanzina

Really enjoyable late era giallo which despite being preposterously in hock to the style and structure of Argento's gialli survives being just a rip-off. The cast are chosen more for looks than talent, but as it's about the 80s cocaine'n'cash fashion world, this works just fine. Donald Pleasence gives a nice energetic turn as local Police Commissioner complete with absurd attempt at an Italian accent.

The cinematography and camera work is the real star. The film looks amazing and some of the choreography of the camera really does evoke Argento's finest moments (DP: Giuseppe Maccari). There's a decent lush score from Pino Dinaggio that is a throwback to thrillers of the 70s too.

The AWE DVD is a wonderful transfer, with the caveat that it does not look correctly framed at 1.78:1. I suspect that 1.66:1 or, more likely, 1.33:1 was intended. I reckon that home for this film was envisioned as VHS not the cinema. Lots of cramped shots with information missing top and bottom. Anamorphic widescreen is not always the correct way to go.

But still a decent release of a fine film that I really liked. Luckily it turned out I remembered hardly anything of this film, so it was like seeing a new film, aside from a few of the more striking set pieces which I did recall.
Old 15th July 2012, 01:08 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I didnt think it was as sick as impression i got and heard but yes highly entertaining to be honest i didnt know much about Anthony wong apart from this and untold story so i googled him didnt realise he such a huge actor with the amount of films he"s been in. I might hunt a few more of his film since im not aware to much of him is there any other films along the lines as these 2 mentioned because i enjoyed both of them,
I only own and have ever seen, just two films starring Anthony Wong, those being Ebola Syndrome and Untold Story, but do know he's quite famous in Hong Kong and has been in many films there although I don't know much about any of his other output to be honest.
As for similar films, you could try Untold Story 2 or the other notorious cat. III film that springs to mind - Dr. Lamb. Haven't seen either of these but been meaning to track down a cheap enough copy of Dr. Lamb for years and never gotten around to it.
Old 15th July 2012, 06:33 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
I only own and have ever seen, just two films starring Anthony Wong, those being Ebola Syndrome and Untold Story, but do know he's quite famous in Hong Kong and has been in many films there although I don't know much about any of his other output to be honest.
As for similar films, you could try Untold Story 2 or the other notorious cat. III film that springs to mind - Dr. Lamb. Haven't seen either of these but been meaning to track down a cheap enough copy of Dr. Lamb for years and never gotten around to it.
Seek out DEADLY CAMP, a HK horror about a group of people (including the legendary mr Wong) being killed off by a nutter on an island. The killers motivation is he thinks people are going to be mean to his mentally handicapped son! The most out-there scene with Wong in it has him 'beating off' the son to prove to his insane daddy he only wants to be nice!
Nagaman likes this.
Old 15th July 2012, 08:31 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thanks im sure ive got dr lamb somewhere i bought of someone from here quite a while back. I have to try seek out Deadly camp i like to find obscure and extreme films now and again by extreme i mean more titles like these cat III or hong kong japanese films and not msp or Grotesque not my secene they have no redeeming value apart from the shock value and nothing else and yes they do as well but if thats all a film got to offer then doesnt interest me films like these can do without.
Old 15th July 2012, 09:15 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Here's some selected Anthony Wong recommendations...
Btw some titles might prove hard to find but some are very easy to find.

Erotic Ghost Story II (1991)
Hard Boiled (1992)
Full Contact (1992)
The Heroic Trio (1993)
Daughter of Darkness (1993)
Love to Kill (1993)
3 Days of a Blind Girl (1993)
Taxi Hunter (1993)
The Untold Story (1993)
The Underground Banker (1994)
Brother of Darkness (1994)
Black Mask (1996)
Ebola Syndrome (1996)
The Untold Story 2 (1998)
Erotic Nightmare (1999)
A Lamb in Despair (1999)
Story of Prostitutes (2000)
Infernal Affairs (2002)
Infernal Affairs II (2003)
Infernal Affairs III (2003)
sawyer6 and Nagaman like this.
Old 15th July 2012, 11:06 AM
Ex-member

ALL THE BOYS LOVE MANDY LANE - I got bored with this one, no way a good horror thriller or a supposedly slasher
Old 15th July 2012, 11:32 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
ALL THE BOYS LOVE MANDY LANE - I got bored with this one, no way a good horror thriller or a supposedly slasher
I actually rated this very highly. Best attempt at a slasher type affair for years and years I thought. And some excellent acting from Amber Heard (a very talented actress who this film introduced to me). I really wasn't expecting anything at all either: thought it would be some mindless gore-a-thon, but got a well written and acted film, which struck me as unusually mature for something of this ilk.

I got the DVD from Poundland and was extremely impressed. So much so I think I may upgrade to the Blu! In fact, I think I will do that now!
Old 15th July 2012, 01:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

Ice Age.
Dodo: This is our private stockpile for the Ice Age. Sub arctic temperatures will force us underground for a billion, billion years.
Manfred: So you got three melons?

Like this? Share it using the links below!