Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Rik 18th July 2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 258365)
In preparation for The Dark Knight Rises' release on Friday, Cineworld had a double bill of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight last night. It was due to be in one of the small screens but as soon as they realised the demand (I bought my ticket on Monday and when I got there last night there was massive queue at the door) they switched it for one of the biggest screens and there were probably less than 20 empty seats.

As they are both great visual spectacles with brilliant soundtracks, sound design and sound effects, it was great to see them at the cinema again, so roll on Friday morning when I get to see how the trilogy concludes.

Interestingly, there is 5 am showing on Friday so The Dark Night Rises is screened at the same time here as in New York and Tokyo. I'm not going to get up that early, but will see it fairly early that morning before braving a multiplex cinema during the school holidays and watching it again next week.

I'll probably end up going twice, I need to make sure it'll be ok for my 8 year old son to watch first before I take him, he's super excited already but if it's too scary then he'll have to wait until it is released on home video

James Morton 18th July 2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 258374)
I'll probably end up going twice, I need to make sure it'll be ok for my 8 year old son to watch first before I take him, he's super excited already but if it's too scary then he'll have to wait until it is released on home video

will he be scared if he sees it on dvd?

Rik 18th July 2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Morton (Post 258376)
will he be scared if he sees it on dvd?

Maybe a little, but I think it would be scarier seeing it on the big screen, at least with DVD I can turn it off. I wouldn't want to ruin fellow cinema goers' experience if he caused a scene during the film because it annoys me when parents can't control their children at the cinema, especially when my boys behave themselves when we go

James Morton 18th July 2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 258379)
Maybe a little, but I think it would be scarier seeing it on the big screen, at least with DVD I can turn it off. I wouldn't want to ruin fellow cinema goers' experience if he caused a scene during the film because it annoys me when parents can't control their children at the cinema, especially when my boys behave themselves when we go

yeah well said.
a caring parent!
oh by the way, i'm not being sarcastic. honest

Hawkmonger 18th July 2012 03:00 PM

I WANTED to go and see the Batman Begins and The Dark Knight double bill last night, but considering it would end at roughly midnight and I needed to be up early this morning for work I decided against it.
Saw 'The Amazing Spider Man' instead and wow, was it GOOD! I never really took to the original Raimi trilogy, Toby Maguire was NEVER Peter Parker for me. He was goofy, but not clever and hardly used any whitty one liners. He also came of as being the brother of Twatinson in term's of acting ability.
Andrew Garfiled ****ing NAILED Pater Parker and Spider Man alike. As Parker he was ruffled and put down, but as Spider Man he was snarcky and cynicle about everything. He was AWSOME! Emma Stone also nailed Gwen Stacy (besides being unnaturaly cutesy (she has freaking anime girl eyes!) she also kicked arse! BURNING AIROSAL SO THE FACE!) as was the rest on the cast.
Rhys Ifans is great as Curt Conners and voices the Lizard excelently, the design for The Lizard I wasn't so sure about. Hog Nosed? Where's ma' snout?!
But it grew on me and he was probably the most kick arse villain of the movie franchise thus far.
Very good and vastly recomended over the original series.

James Morton 18th July 2012 03:09 PM

there have been very good reviews about TDKR but i read somewhere that the Daily Mail criticised it
not them again.....:crazy:

Splat 18th July 2012 03:49 PM

'The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh'

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 18th July 2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 258379)

Very well said. If only more parents were like you, the cinema would be a much better place. I was surprised by how many children under the age of 12 were at the cinema last night – there was one lad who couldn't have been older than seven or eight and this was to watch two 12A films which finished at about 11:40pm.

As you said, there is a massive difference between watching something like The Dark Knight in a dark auditorium with a huge screen and an extremely loud sound system and watching it on a TV set at home in familiar surroundings where you can have the lights on and not disturb people by asking questions or explaining things.

Slippery Jack 18th July 2012 04:59 PM

Twisted Nerve

A little too long maybe, but a decent and subtly creepy thriller. They were on very shaky ground with the science, seeming to suggest the psycho killer got that way because his brother had Down's Syndrome! I'm guessing the producers figured that explaination wouldn't fly with audiences, hence the 'ignore the science in this film!' voiceover message at the start :doh:

Great theme tune, sure I've heard it somewhere before :loco: . . .

gag 18th July 2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 258445)
Twisted Nerve

A little too long maybe, but a decent and subtly creepy thriller. They were on very shaky ground with the science, seeming to suggest the psycho killer got that way because his brother had Down's Syndrome! I'm guessing the producers figured that explaination wouldn't fly with audiences, hence the 'ignore the science in this film!' voiceover message at the start :doh:

Great theme tune, sure I've heard it somewhere before :loco: . . .

I enjoyed twisted nerve bit of a gem and considering how old the film was i was a slight bit let down by the ending didnt think it was that great and sort of fizzled out instead of going with a bang ..