Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179414Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2012, 04:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Got to your room, sir! I'll tell Sleazy Pete not to give you any supper!
SEE! You do it too!
Old 2nd August 2012, 04:05 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
SEE! You do it too!
That's not a suffix, Pete's really is THAT Sleazy!..........plus it's on his birth certificet.

In other new's I was planning to go and watch Ted last night but the cue was insane so I came home and watched Beaves and Butt Head do America. Comedy gold.
Daemonia and Nordicdusk like this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 2nd August 2012, 04:10 PM
Ex-member

[QUOTE=Gojirosan;262860]Oh yeah, some of the set pieces are well handled, true. But you could say that of the lift scene in the 2nd one.

I saw that scene last night on Film4
I forgot about that one and it was well filmed and the guy's body split in half was goof sfx
Old 2nd August 2012, 04:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
That's not a suffix, Pete's really is THAT Sleazy!..........plus it's on his birth certificet.
I don't know if I should be happy or offended by that!

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 2nd August 2012, 04:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

My main memory of the second one is the eye plucking, lorry smushing double whammy Final Destination be damned . . .
Old 2nd August 2012, 04:15 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I'D Take it as a compliment.
Pete likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 2nd August 2012, 04:45 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Ah!.........I see...........'Dial's mental help line'
Very much off-topic, and bad-taste alert:

"Hello, and welcome to the mental health helpline.

"If you are an obsessive-compulsive, press 1 repeatedly.

"If you are co-dependent, please ask someone to press 2 for you.

"If you have multiple personalities, press 3, 4, 5 and 6.

"If you are paranoid, we know who you are and what you want. Stay on the line so we can trace your call.

"If you are delusional, press 7 and your call will be transferred to the mother ship.

"If you are schizophrenic, listen carefully and a small voice will tell you which number to press.

"If you are a manic-depressive, it doesn't matter which number you press, no one will answer.

"If you are dyslexic, press 9696969696969.

"If you have a nervous disorder, please fidget with the hash key until a representative comes on the line.

"If you have amnesia press 8 and state your name, address, phone, date of birth, NI number, your mother's maiden name, where you were this time last week, and the week before, the last five US Presidents and the capital of every former British Colony.

"If you have post-traumatic stress disorder, slowly and carefully press 000.

"If you have bi-polar disorder, please leave a message after the beep or before the beep, or after the beep. Please wait for the beep.

"If you have short-term memory loss, press 9 If you have short-term memory loss, press 9 If you have short-term memory loss, press 9 If you have short-term memory loss, press 9

"If you have low self-esteem, please hang up. All our operators are too busy to talk to you."

-If you have seen this joke before, press the 'like' button.

-If you have never seen this joke before, press the 'like' button.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 2nd August 2012, 04:52 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I imagine everyone knows how I feel about The Exorcist, but did a chapter on The Omen for my MA dissertation and it was basically a cash in on the success of certain religiously themed horror films in which I noted screenwriter David Seltzer admitting "I did it strictly for the money" and how it hasn't been studied in any great length and depth by film scholars – Reynold Humphreys mentions it only once in The American Horror Film: An Introduction, where he says "I see nothing to redeem The Omen whose crassness and incompetence I can only take at face value: objectionable."

He criticised the gender politics but, as that was the point of my dissertation, I found his objection to the "powerful, all-knowing male" to be extremely illustrative in terms of how the film depicts the American family.

Putting all that to one side, I think the term 'trash' can apply to The Omen as it isn't high art and made with the same intelligence, theological insight and realism as The Exorcist. However, I really like Jerry Goldsmith's score and some of the set pieces – especially those in which David Warbeck, Patrick Trout and Lee Remick are dispatched and consider it good fun.

The remake was good fun as well, but completely pointless and clearly made for the money rather than artistic merit or because it had anything to say.
Old 2nd August 2012, 04:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Return to Zero started it.
Old 2nd August 2012, 04:57 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I imagine everyone knows how I feel about The Exorcist, but did a chapter on The Omen for my MA dissertation and it was basically a cash in on the success of certain religiously themed horror films in which I noted screenwriter David Seltzer admitting "I did it strictly for the money" and how it hasn't been studied in any great length and depth by film scholars – Reynold Humphreys mentions it only once in The American Horror Film: An Introduction, where he says "I see nothing to redeem The Omen whose crassness and incompetence I can only take at face value: objectionable."

He criticised the gender politics but, as that was the point of my dissertation, I found his objection to the "powerful, all-knowing male" to be extremely illustrative in terms of how the film depicts the American family.

Putting all that to one side, I think the term 'trash' can apply to The Omen as it isn't high art and made with the same intelligence, theological insight and realism as The Exorcist. However, I really like Jerry Goldsmith's score and some of the set pieces – especially those in which David Warbeck, Patrick Trout and Lee Remick are dispatched and consider it good fun.

The remake was good fun as well, but completely pointless and clearly made for the money rather than artistic merit or because it had anything to say.
I would like to note that The Omen was one of "The 50 Worst Movies Of All Time" in the book of that name.

However, that book was by The Medved Brothers, so pinch of salt...

Like this? Share it using the links below!