Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2012, 11:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Come And See - 1985 USSR d: Elem Klimov

Considering that I generally "don't like war films" it's curious that at least three of the films I consider amongst the few very best ever made are indeed war films.

This is one of those films. A stark and distressing magnum opus so powerful that its director never made another film as he didn't think he could do anything else.

It is expertly made - a symphony of Steadicam - and looks quite spectacular if not always pleasant. The lead performance from Aleksei Kravchenko as Flyora is amongst the best ever to feature in cinema. So riveting is it that you do not feel its length, it takes you to another emotional plane, one where running time means nothing. It is a truly transcendent piece.

Desperately needs a Blu-ray release.
I've had this on DVD twice and sold both without watching them. :/

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 5th August 2012, 06:26 AM
Cult Addict

flowersofwar.jpg

From the director of HERO, this ones about an american mortician on his way to a church in nanking when the japanese invade. Taking shelter in the church with the young female students and a group of prostitutes attempting to flee the rampaging japanese, the american (played by christian bale) must take on the role of the priest and keep the women safe from the horrors of japanese occupation.

This is worth checking out, it spares none of the horrors of what happened in nanking and is deeply tragic and at times very shocking, its also beautifully shot with some amazing cinematography and use of color (as one would expect from the director of hero) the acting is great and its ultimately a very moving film indeed. Its out monday, unfortunately work only got the dvd version in, but if possible I would seek out the blu-ray as it should look phenomenal.
Old 5th August 2012, 09:32 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Buddha's Palm (1982)

Another very entertaining Shaw wuxia fantasy.
Lo Lieh is really funny in this one btw as "Bi Gu of East Island".

Attached Images
File Type: jpg buddhaspalm19823b.jpg (71.4 KB, 4 views)
sawyer6 likes this.

Last edited by bdc; 5th August 2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 5th August 2012, 01:49 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Taken- Why would you kidnap Liam Neeson's daughter?
He's trained Obi-Wan Kanobi, Darth Vader, and Batman.
He is Kwi-Gon Jin, Rhas Al Ghul, Aslan, and Zeus at the same time.
He punched a freaking bear! You do not piss this man off!
TAKEN - one of the best action films around
Old 5th August 2012, 02:18 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Attachment 75285

From the director of HERO, this ones about an american mortician on his way to a church in nanking when the japanese invade. Taking shelter in the church with the young female students and a group of prostitutes attempting to flee the rampaging japanese, the american (played by christian bale) must take on the role of the priest and keep the women safe from the horrors of japanese occupation.

This is worth checking out, it spares none of the horrors of what happened in nanking and is deeply tragic and at times very shocking, its also beautifully shot with some amazing cinematography and use of color (as one would expect from the director of hero) the acting is great and its ultimately a very moving film indeed. Its out monday, unfortunately work only got the dvd version in, but if possible I would seek out the blu-ray as it should look phenomenal.
Two other excellent films based on the same events.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51WhMJr+XZL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (23.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 5189MC48baL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (23.1 KB, 2 views)
keirarts likes this.
Old 5th August 2012, 03:41 PM
Ex-member

ROBIN WILLIAMS - WEAPONS OF SELF DESTRUCTION and BILL MAHER - BUT I'M NOT WRONG
both hilarious stand up dvds from 2 of the funniest comics out there
Baseball Fury likes this.
Old 5th August 2012, 04:59 PM
Cult Addict

Bleach Movie the 4th: Hell Verse/ Hell Chapter: In my opinion the best of the Bleach movies to date. I hear KAZE are already working on a BD release for some time next year, but I'll just go off the good (Fan?) sub that is online.
Like all Bleach movies this is non-canon to the series (in the same fassion as some of the filler season's) but unlike the other's this one is directly influenced by event's seen in the season that premiered before hand despite occuring in contrivance to what had been established at the end of said season.

This is a little destracting but as the plot is well developed and self contained I don't mind so much. The entire main cast (and there voice actors) return.
Ichigo, Rucki, Renji, Inoue, Chad, and Uryu are the main focus of the movie again, though Chad is booted off in the first fight and Inoue stay's while Ichigo and the other's enter hell to rescue his kidnaped sister, working with sinner Kokuto to take down the cult lead by Shuren, attempting to use Ichigo to break the gate's of hell so they can escape.

The plot is solid, with some new characters introduced (Who naturaly don't make it out of the theater alive.......dead........there in hell OK?!) and the old favourate's play center stage. This is very mutch Ichigo's movie.
The First one (Memory's of Nobody) was more a plot driven feature, tacking into account that you will already know the characters. The second one (Diamond Dust Rebelion) was focused on the secondary cast members (Toshiro Hitsugia, Rangiko Matsamoto etc) while the third one was Ruckia's feature.
This one is more on Ichigo's struggle to rescue his sister from the deepest pit's of hell and his character study as a result of his journey.

The animation is superb as has come to be expected from the progression of series design and there's some great beasty's who guard hell from intruders and attempted escapee's.
All round a very good film that I can highly recomend. ****
keirarts likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 5th August 2012, 06:21 PM
Cultist in Training

Send a message via AIM to andgomorra Send a message via Yahoo to andgomorra Send a message via Skype™ to andgomorra

Gf rented the sitter the other night. Pretty decent comedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5th August 2012, 06:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Justice....enjoyable revengey type film with good old Nicolas Cage
Old 5th August 2012, 10:16 PM
Cult Addict

Started watching arrested development. Now I can't stop. Carl Weathers just turned up and now I really want to watch action jackson, or maybe just predator.

Like this? Share it using the links below!