Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

PaulD 6th August 2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 263904)
Started watching arrested development. Now I can't stop. Carl Weathers just turned up and now I really want to watch action jackson, or maybe just predator.

Yes! I've been going through them again for the Nth time (genuinely lost count how many times I've seen it) and just finished the second season. It's such an incredible show and really deserves repeat viewing; no matter how closely you pay attention there'll be little background jokes and foreshadowing you won't pick up on the first time (eg watching the Afternoon Delight episode the other day there's a bit where they're at the banana stand where there's a ship in the background called 'Hornblower', in the same episode Tobias loses his sense of sound due to being blown in the ear with Lucille's rape horn. Never spotted that before!)

Hawkmonger 6th August 2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 263952)
That it wasn't anime is what made it so successful, for me. I am biased, as I pretty much hate almost all anime, but had it been a cartoon it would have just been yet another lost in the plethora. I think this (and others of the ilk) are so interesting because they aren't anime.

So, are you saying anima can't tell competant story's? Hang your head in shame sir!

fuzzymctiger 6th August 2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 263959)
So, are you saying anima can't tell competant story's? Hang your head in shame sir!

You don't even need to be story based to be a masterpiece.
See Cowboy Bebop

keirarts 6th August 2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 263964)
You don't even need to be story based to be a masterpiece.
See Cowboy Bebop

Or Samurai Champloo!

Rik 6th August 2012 10:07 AM

Completely contradicting what I posted in the relevant thread for it, I watched The Bunny Game last night. I must say its a fantastically shot and acted film but it's certainly not one I'm in any great rush to view again, it really is a harrowing experience. Now I'm off to wash my eyes in bleach!

Hawkmonger 6th August 2012 10:08 AM

Cowboy Bebop is truely amazing. A master work of story telling and imagery.
Samurai Champloo was good but saldy I remember little of it.Might be worth a re-watch.
My favourate anime is probably Rebuild of Evangelion. I adored the TV series but upon re-watching I find it a tad chaving.
The OVA's are masterful though.
Regardless all three title's put (ugh!) Tenjho Tengai to shame.:mmph:

Demoncrat 6th August 2012 10:23 AM

Paranoia Agent...anime at it's finest.

Ahem. A few quick reviews, as I watched a few this weekend.

Splice Hahahahahahaha. Pro life drivel disguised as scifi. P A S S.:mmph:

The Bunny Game. About as transgressive as listening to Depeche Mode in the dark. Horrible, yes, but in that boring Hostel kind of way. Would make a great double bill with The Artist imo.;)

Moontrap. A rollicking low budget hoot, that had more soul and fun in it than the awful Splice could ever have...Chekov & Ash take on alien robot scum, recommended!!:nod:

Ms 45. First time for me with this.....won't be that last....great performance from the late Ms Lund imo....a sleazy "high end" film (some great editing in this). Recommended!

Watched half of The Last Horror Film as well, but will rewatch as was knackered by this point!!;)

Demoncrat 6th August 2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 263973)
Paranoia Agent...anime at it's finest.

Ahem. A few quick reviews, as I watched a few this weekend.

Splice Hahahahahahaha. Pro life drivel disguised as scifi. P A S S.:mmph:

The Bunny Game. About as transgressive as listening to Depeche Mode in the dark. Horrible, yes, but in that boring Hostel kind of way. Would make a great double bill with The Artist imo.;)

Moontrap. A rollicking low budget hoot, that had more soul and fun in it than the awful Splice could ever have...Chekov & Ash take on alien robot scum, recommended!!:nod:

Ms 45. First time for me with this.....won't be that last....great performance from the late Ms Lund imo....a sleazy "high end" film (some great editing in this). Recommended!

Watched half of The Last Horror Film as well, but will rewatch as was knackered by this point!!;)

forgot about The Cabin In The Woods. Sue me, I liked it. Felt it should have been MORE convoluted really :lol:

fuzzymctiger 6th August 2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 263970)
Cowboy Bebop is truely amazing. A master work of story telling and imagery.
Samurai Champloo was good but saldy I remember little of it.Might be worth a re-watch.
My favourate anime is probably Rebuild of Evangelion. I adored the TV series but upon re-watching I find it a tad chaving.
The OVA's are masterful though.
Regardless all three title's put (ugh!) Tenjho Tengai to shame.:mmph:

I hated Evangelion (Original series).
Mind you i was young when i watched, but i remember Shinji being a whiny bitch and the last 2 episodes were really experimental and wierd.
Oh and the end of End of Evangelion sucked nuts

Hawkmonger 6th August 2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 263979)
I hated Evangelion (Original series).
Mind you i was young when i watched, but i remember Shinji being a whiny bitch and the last 2 episodes were really experimental and wierd.
Oh and the end of End of Evangelion sucked nuts

Check out the Rebuild movie series. Shinji's whining is toned down to the point where's he's just a social awkward teenager.
The animation is clean and the action scene's aren't dull.
If I was to choose a series I adored for it's longivity and constant charm it would be Bleach. It's not the smartest. It's not the most original. But the joureny is one helluva lot of fun and the conclusion to each arc is extremely rewarding.:popcorn: