Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

fuzzymctiger 6th August 2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 263981)
Check out the Rebuild movie series. Shinji's whining is toned down to the point where's he's just a social awkward teenager.
The animation is clean and the action scene's aren't dull.
If I was to choose a series I adored for it's longivity and constant charm it would be Bleach. It's not the smartest. It's not the most original. But the joureny is one helluva lot of fun and the conclusion to each arc is extremely rewarding.:popcorn:

Been meaning to pick those up.
I tend to avoid long series, but 2 recent shows I've really enjoyed are Darker Then Black and The Melancholy Of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Also Black Lagoons a guilty pleasure.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th August 2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 263964)
You don't even need to be story based to be a masterpiece.
See Cowboy Bebop

It's not an anime, but Un chien Andalou fits the criteria.

Gojirosan 6th August 2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 263959)
So, are you saying anima can't tell competant story's? Hang your head in shame sir!

Where on earth did you get that from?

I didn't say anything of the kind.

I don't like (most, not all) anime because I think it looks ugly, I dislike the animation/artwork style. Once in blue moon there is an anime film that has so much to offer in other areas that I can overlook the appearance. But for the most part, the horrible visuals put me off watching.

Gojirosan 6th August 2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 264013)
It's not an anime, but Un chien Andalou fits the criteria.

AND it looks spectacular.

Demoncrat 6th August 2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andgomorra (Post 263932)
The iron lady turned out to be a fantastic historical drama. Highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are joking right?:rolleyes:

keirarts 6th August 2012 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 263970)
Cowboy Bebop is truely amazing. A master work of story telling and imagery.
Samurai Champloo was good but saldy I remember little of it.Might be worth a re-watch.
My favourate anime is probably Rebuild of Evangelion. I adored the TV series but upon re-watching I find it a tad chaving.
The OVA's are masterful though.
Regardless all three title's put (ugh!) Tenjho Tengai to shame.:mmph:

Samurai champloo gets even better with repeat viewings. For me I immediately liked the show the minute it went for a flashback, accidentaly went into fast forward and ended up in modern day japan. Its worth remembering its from the same team behind Cowboy beebop and some fans have even speculated that mugen is an ancestor of Spike spiegel, due to the similarities in appearance. Also look out for the character who is a homage to Hanzo the razor!

I love the evangalion rebuild as well, i'm a big fan of bleach, naruto, Paranoia agent, serial experiments lain, legend of galactic heroes, Ranma, Urusei Yatsura, Shiki, Heaven's lost property (Sora no otoshimono) Fist of the north star, Excel saga, Ghost in the shell (series and movies) Rune soldier louie, Patlabor (series and movies) Full metal alchemist Brotherhood (not the origional) Soul eater.... Well lets just say its a BIG list.

Samurai Champloo [Episode 1] (Part 1) {English Dubbed} - YouTube

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 6th August 2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 264016)
Where on earth did you get that from?

I didn't say anything of the kind.

I don't like (most, not all) anime because I think it looks ugly, I dislike the animation/artwork style. Once in blue moon there is an anime film that has so much to offer in other areas that I can overlook the appearance. But for the most part, the horrible visuals put me off watching.

Does that apply set the Studio Ghibli films? I see what you mean by the animation style and the way people are drawn (big eyes and slightly unrealistic other features), but it's a weird hurdle to cross as there are some great stories and series to be found.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 264017)
AND it looks spectacular.

The version on the BFI BD of L'Age d'Or does look outstanding.

Gojirosan 6th August 2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 264021)
Does that apply set the Studio Ghibli films? I see what you mean by the animation style and the way people are drawn (big eyes and slightly unrealistic other features), but it's a weird hurdle to cross as there are some great stories and series to be found.

The only Ghibli related film I have ever admired is Grave Of The Fireflies, which outstripped its artwork.

I have not liked any of the others I have watched or tried to watch. My ex loved them, so I've had a fair bit of exposure. I've walked out of a couple. I do not like them and think they are VASTLY over-rated.

Hawkmonger 6th August 2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 264022)
The only Ghibli related film I have ever admired is Grave Of The Fireflies, which outstripped its artwork.

I have not liked any of the others I have watched or tried to watch. My ex loved them, so I've had a fair bit of exposure. I've walked out of a couple. I do not like them and think they are VASTLY over-rated.

RIGHT!!! I've had enough of your crap! Roll them up, where taking this out side!
:boxing:

I joke of cause. I find it a tad nauseating however that you claim that ALL ANIME have terrible art style and un-appealing animation.
Tnjho Tengai, Guyver, Hellsing (The TV series, not the Movies), One Piece and multiple 90's product's are horrendisly animated and with truely abysmal character design.
But what about (And I say some of these again) Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Samurai Champloo (Which doess have lovely animation despite my gripe's), Black Lagoon, Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist (Brotherhood) are all amazing in term's of both intersting story telling, with a sizeable plathera of characters and great art (Trigun for the time atleast. It hasen't aged well in the art department).

Next you'll be telling me Strontium Dog is a crap comic book.......oh, wait, i'm the only person in the world's who like's Strontium Dog......my bad.

Invid Ninja 6th August 2012 02:19 PM

In situations like this, I love to say 'different strokes for different folks.' I personally have adored Japanese animation since childhood, however I tend nowadays to stick with the theatrical animation. Films like Nausicaa, Only Yesterday, Galaxy Express 999 and Angel's Egg to name a few I feel our vastly superior thematically compared to oft-praised traditional Disney animated films that crop op on critic's favourite lists time and time again. Now I adore some Western animation like much of Pixars work, The Iron Giant and sadly overlooked gems like Gandahar but the animated films by the Japanese have remained a cornerstone of my film appreciation since I was very young.

That's my two cents anyway.