Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179476Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th August 2012, 02:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Paranoiac last night. A highly entertaining early Hammer flick starring Oliver Reed.

An extremely nice looking BD as well.
it'smebilly and bdc like this.
Old 11th August 2012, 02:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

That's good to hear. Have in still wrapped,might give it a spin one of the nights.
Old 11th August 2012, 04:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Despite a backlog of (hopefully) good stuff to get through, ended up watching BLOODY MOON again. It's a movie of many delights, and, although I think it tends not to be regarded as top rankin' Franco due to its slasher cash-in status, the eerie spell this director casts is very much in evidence. As time goes by, I find myself watching movies like this less for the knives through tits and sawn off heads, and more for odd snippets like the bit where a looming murderer shadow is revealed to be cast by a kid bearing a chocolate elephant on someone's doorstep at midnight, something which kind of slips by unnoticed, but which on reflection even David Lynch wouldn't hazard. There are many, many such odd moments in 'Bloody Moon' which come together with Franco's strange visual style (ranging as it does from luminescent to haphazard) to pitch this well beyond standard slasher territory.
Old 11th August 2012, 04:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Blade View Post
Watched Paranoiac last night. A highly entertaining early Hammer flick starring Oliver Reed.
Love the creepy mask in that film! On the whole I was a little underwhelmed though . . .
Old 11th August 2012, 05:55 PM
Cult Addict

Bad ass, Danny trejo plays a grizzled vietnam vet in LA beating crime to a bloody pulp.

Not as good as it sounds, very inconsistant and fails to live up to its promise. Literally the film takes the bus chase from Red heat and digitally alters it to give the film an expensive looking chase scene. Not the worst film out there but don't pay too much if your going to buy it.
Old 11th August 2012, 06:56 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I watched another newer film...what's happening?

World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles (2011)

Let's put War of the Worlds,Mars Attacks (forget the Burton film,I'm talking about the original cards),Starship Troopers and a US marine corps promo in a blender,then add lots of CGI...ok-ish at best.

Last edited by bdc; 11th August 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11th August 2012, 08:01 PM
Cult Addict

thismustbetheplace..jpg

Sean Penn plays 50 year old goth and ex-rockstar Cheyenne. He's living the quiet life as a tax exile in dublin living off his royalties when he recieves a message that his estranged father has died. He heads to america for the funeral (and to meet up with his pal David byrne from the talking heads who also provides tracks for the soundtrack) and discovers his father was hunting for an ex-nazi who had tormented him. Cheyenne begins a road trip across america to finish his fathers quest.

This is a brilliant road-trip movie with an excellent central performance from Sean penn and great direction from Paolo sorrentino.

Well worth seeking out.
Old 12th August 2012, 03:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just came from The Bourne Legacy good lead actor, really bad and unfocused film. Such a sad waste of talent displayed in this one.

3/10
Old 12th August 2012, 04:14 AM
Active Cultist

Sombre, 1998
Lizzie, 2012
Die, 2010
Bad Ronald, 1974
Old 12th August 2012, 06:26 AM
Cult Addict

gone.jpg

enterthevoid.jpg

GONE.

Generic by-the-numbers potboiler seemingly contrived simply as a star vehicle for Amanda Seyfried. Not that I mind, as she certainly livens up an otherwise mediocre movie. She plays a woman who was abducted and escaped from a serial killer, then the killer returns and takes her sister. The police don't believe her (she has a history of mental problems) so she must work alone to save her sister. Seen it all before but its not the worst example of the genre either.

ENTER THE VOID.

What a choice for last thing at night! an epic, graphic odyssy show through the eyes of the main character who has died, shot almost entirely at night in tokyo. As one would expect from gasper noe its got some fairly extreme imagery and as he's clearly influenced by 2001 its also incredibly trippy. I might have to watch this one when not so tired, it felt like a bad mushroom trip near the end!
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!