All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th August 2012, 05:29 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Growth (2010)

A very good creepy flesh crawly creature flick which should appeal to fans of Squirm and other creatures under the skin horrors. Despite its obvious flaw of using cgi for the creatures rather than prosthetics, the film is still a very enjoyable watch.

The writers have to be commended in allowing the characters to grow rather than having the usual stereotypes and having the nerve to employ more than one plot strand to the film and finally bringing it all together nicely.

On of the finest direct to disc horrors i have seen in a while.

Creatures from the Abyss aka Plankton (1994)

This stunningly bad monster film from 1994 feels more like something from 1982 and employs terrible creature effects. However it is remarkably good fun.

Director Massimiliano Cerchi's set design is excellent and the fact he utilises fully lit rooms for his set pieces is almost a revelation when you compare it to most horrors where you are desperately peering into the darkness trying to catch a glimpse of proceedings.

The characters although a little stereotypical were all well written and didn't particularly do anything stupid. Added to this you have a couple of nude scenes and a bit of fun gore and it all adds up to an entertaining ninety minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41-nt6imPxL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (13.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 511QWH91TEL__SL500_AA300_.jpg (19.7 KB, 1 views)
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 19th August 2012, 07:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Bourne legacy.

Spends ages plot hammering to the point of tedium, suddenly theres some action and it looks like it might start being interesting then it just f*****g ends. Poor Renner is a decent actor, I had hoped this might have given him a franchise but after this I wish marvel would man up and make a hawkeye movie instead.
I completely agree about the amount of unnecessary and tedious dialogue in Legacy – that's when you know something has been made by someone who loves writing and barely directs. (William Peter Blatty is a notable exception to the rule, as anyone who's seen The Exorcist III and The Ninth Configuration will know.)
keirarts likes this.
Old 19th August 2012, 07:37 PM
Active Cultist

The Evil, 1978
Malpertuis, 1971
I'll Never Die Alone, 2008
Gut, 2012
Old 19th August 2012, 10:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Scotland Yard Inspector (1953)

Creaky film noir from Hammer that plods along at first but becomes more interesting as the story develops. Tv Joker, Cesar Romero plays an American journalist attempting to solve a murder in the fog of London whilst being hampered by his friends from Scotland Yard.

The film had some amusing verbal sparring between Romero and the other cast members and it was nice to see Lois Maxwell and Geoffrey Keen on screen together pre Bond.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kxsl8u8nuvcyunc8.jpg (37.4 KB, 4 views)
Gojirosan and sawyer6 like this.
Old 19th August 2012, 10:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE NEST - Undemanding cockroach based horror from the eighties. It's formula but quite enjoyable, with gloopy effects where they're needed and some unsurprising but effective nods to more realised bio-horror of the time ('The Thing', 'The Fly'). All the cliches are up and running as a small town sheriff comes up against corrupt mayor and ruthless scientist in the fight against insect dominian. He gets the girl in the end, too. There's something quite horrifying about swarms, but films like this can't really express what that is. Fun all the same.
RAMPAGE - W Friedkin. Couldn't make my mind up about this, but found it quite captivating in places, if only in a sort of reactive, emotive sense. Based on the case of 'The Vampire of Sacramento', Richard Chase. Seemed pitched somewhere between a TV movie and an art film, with a flatness working against occasional striking visuals. At its heart is a courtroom drama more than a piece of grotesque, and a big theme (volition, in a legal and in a broader sense) predominates. Don't think it's all that available, saw it on the net.
Old 19th August 2012, 11:29 PM
Cult Addict

"L'Anticristo". A rather pleasant riff on "The Exorcist" with a bonus reincarnation of a witch story chucked in for good measure. This looks lovely, with great cinematography and sets giving the whole film a real sheen of luxury. For me though, the stand out moment was during the flashback to the Witches Sabbath as our unlucky heroine gets a close up, eye full, up a goat's Khyber which she then leans in to kiss! We are then treated to a scene of her in the present, waggling her tongue around in wild abandon, presumably reliving goaty analingus.
Not since I saw a pirate video of Marcel Marceau and Alejandro Jodorowsky on the piss have I seen such mugged up mime.
Pete and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 19th August 2012, 11:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
"L'Anticristo". A rather pleasant riff on "The Exorcist" with a bonus reincarnation of a witch story chucked in for good measure. This looks lovely, with great cinematography and sets giving the whole film a real sheen of luxury. For me though, the stand out moment was during the flashback to the Witches Sabbath as our unlucky heroine gets a close up, eye full, up a goat's Khyber which she then leans in to kiss! We are then treated to a scene of her in the present, waggling her tongue around in wild abandon, presumably reliving goaty analingus.
Not since I saw a pirate video of Marcel Marceau and Alejandro Jodorowsky on the piss have I seen such mugged up mime.
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by the goat-rim factor - few more of those and it may have been a classic!
Old 19th August 2012, 11:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I love this film. Yeah, it's a sleazy Exorcist rip off but pair it up with Naschy's Exorcismo and you have a hell of a double feature.
Old 20th August 2012, 09:13 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Killer Elite
Shrek 1,2,3,4
Old 20th August 2012, 09:15 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Shrek 1,2,3,4
Oh you poor sod!
fuzzymctiger likes this.

DVD and BD collection

Like this? Share it using the links below!