All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd August 2012, 05:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Cheerleader Massacre (2003)

Directed by Jim Wynorski. If those four words don't fill you with fear and make you turn off your dvd player then you might just enjoy Cheerleader Massacre.

A self financed effort, it has its problems mainly due to lack of budget, especially in the effect department. However Wynorski, the director of Chopping Mall, Deathstalker 2 and Tracy Lords vehicle Not of this Earth gives the film a little tension to make up for the lack of decent effects. So if Wynorski the horror director begins to feel the pinch then step forward Wynorski the titillator. As director of The Bare Wench Project, The House on Hooter Hill and The Witches of Breastwick, he knows if the action begins to flag than what better to perk up a movie than breasts and lots of them. All the actresses manage to get naked at some point, be it in a shower scene of which there are two, or a completely gratuitous bath scene in which three girls lick chocolate sauce of one another.

Scream queen Brinke Stevens has a small role as Linda. A character originally from The Slumber Party Massacre, a scene from it is inserted into this movie as a flashback for her character.

The film has some nice location photography in Anchorage, the Colorado mountains and Lone Pine in California.

Its a difficult movie to recommend, but fans of Wynorski's work will probably like it.

Midnight Movie (2008)

A very good modern slasher film. At a midnight showing of an infamous horror film once considered lost the killer from the film comes out of the movie to slaughter those in the theatre.

Although the premise sounds daft, its worked out quite well, when the film reel's cigarette burn appears the killer appears out of the movie, the kills then play out on screen like original footage. Its quite amusing as people notice victims look quite simillar to their friend who just nipped out for some popcorn.

Its quite refreshing to see a slasher film that doesn't try to add comedy and plays out like an early eighties film and captures the feel of that time pretty effortlessly. In fact the film playing in the theatre, "The Dark Beneath" looks very simillar to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which only adds to the old skool effect.

The killer comes across as a mish mash of Leatherface and Jason, wearing a skeletal mask and the overall effect is quite impressive. Added to some inventive kills and a surprisingly accomplished unknown cast, Midnight Movie is one of the best slashers from recent times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg u.jpg (24.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg midnigh-movie-poster.jpg (47.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 23rd August 2012, 06:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Finally got to see The Dark Knight Rises this afternoon with my son. We both really enjoyed it and both predicted certain parts of it. A couple of people on here mentioned a minor thing towards the end which annoyed them but I can't think what it is, I thought it was a good end to the trilogy, even though I originally thought Bane was a poor choice of villain considering the amount of better ones in the DC Universe. My only complaint is that Anne Hathaway's fine arse didn't get near enough screen time than it rightly deserved
bdc and keirarts like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 23rd August 2012, 07:07 PM
Active Cultist

From the tellybox:

Death Wish 2
F

and on DVD

Steel Dawn. (nothing screams 'apocalypse' like a windswept mullet)
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 23rd August 2012, 07:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default I got wood

Had an urge to watch Ed wood,so here I am in my angora sweater and heels,and now slipping it in (the dvd that is).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ed_wood_ver2.jpg (71.1 KB, 67 views)
Old 23rd August 2012, 07:22 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Funnily enough, I had the urge to watch Ed Wood not too long ago.

My angora sweater was at the dry-cleaners, though
VicDakin, Rik, Hawkmonger and 1 others like this.
Old 23rd August 2012, 07:24 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default angora

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Funnily enough, I had the urge to watch Ed Wood not too long ago.

My angora sweater was at the dry-cleaners, though
ill post you mine, I got a spare
Old 23rd August 2012, 07:25 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDakin View Post
ill post you mine, I got a spare
Cheers!
VicDakin likes this.
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:31 PM
Active Cultist

Watched what appears to be the last Flipside (boo!) today, ie Nightbirds - my first Andy Milligan movie. Not bad! Bit of a grim and downbeat boy meets girl story, the guy reminded me of John Moulder-Brown in Deep End, the girl is memorably nuts. Tried the commentary - duff I'm afraid, like an amnesiac patient with his can't be arsed male nurse - disappointing from Stephen Thrower, but his booklet stuff is excellent.

Yesterday I checked the picture quality on my Criterion Seven Samurai blu ray which has been marinading on my shelf this past year - ended up watching the whole damn thing. What a movie it is, but I guess everyone's well aware of that...
Old 23rd August 2012, 08:35 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Watched what appears to be the last Flipside (boo!) today,
Nah, there's more on the way next year.
Got this this morning.

BFI London Film Festival wrote: "Hi Zach, thanks for your kind words about Flipside. Our next releases are not for some time, but rest assured that we are working on some extraordinary and surprising titles for 2013."
Handyman Joe likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

THE FINAL EXECUTIONER (1984)

vlcsnap-2012-08-23-23h32m31s147.jpg

One of the weaker Italian post apocalypse movies (co-produced by Cannon Films!) which is so low budget it makes RATS look like a Hollywood blockbluster. I watched it via the 23rd Century DVD which, predictably enough, is taken from an old VHS but is more than watchable. I assume the old UK tape was the source as it's missing the rape scene.
Demoncrat and Hawkmonger like this.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Like this? Share it using the links below!