Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2012, 03:08 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
Whilst the logical and desired step is to have a Nightwing/Azriel film set around a nice cut-off Gotham (a la No Man's Land), I'd expect a high budget, 3D colourful reboot so that Warner Bros. can get a little bit of that Avengers money by trotting out a Justice League/JLA film.

Superman - Man of Steel out soon
Green Lantern - Already exists
The Flash - Rumoured
Wonder Woman - Casting

Stick in some side-casting for Aquaman and MM (a la Hawkeye) and you're all set for a money making Batman reboot.

They can hardly have a (semi) realistic Batman kicking around whilst people are flying about being aliens and Amazonian princesses are whipping people.

Urgh.

I hope if they do try and 're-boot' batman they make it a a bit more 'comic book' and avoid trying to replicate nolan's style of film-making. So long as it dosn't become as wildly camp as the schumaker films I'd be up for it. Then again I did love the avengers, the most comic-book movie out there since mike hodges flash gordon!
Old 24th August 2012, 03:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I hope if they do try and 're-boot' batman they make it a a bit more 'comic book' and avoid trying to replicate nolan's style of film-making. So long as it dosn't become as wildly camp as the schumaker films I'd be up for it.
Indeed, though after watching The Dark Knight Rises, I did have a hankering to watch Batman Forever - that camp n' colourful style now seems quite refreshing after three films of Nolan-ish misery . . .
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 24th August 2012, 03:17 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Indeed, though after watching The Dark Knight Rises, I did have a hankering to watch Batman Forever - that camp n' colourful style now seems quite refreshing after three films of Nolan-ish misery . . .
Besides, Nolan is pretty much an AUTEUR. The Batman films imo are more classic nolan movies than batman per se, so I was fine with some of the liberty's taken with the material.

Bruce wayne/Batman is the classic nolan protagonist, and thematically the films tie in very well with his other works. Trying to copy his style for further movies would end up being detrimental to those films.
Old 24th August 2012, 03:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yeah you need a director to bring their own unique stamp like the two previous Bats directors before Nolan. I think going more stylised and weird is definitely the way to go (Clay Face and Man Bat - embrace the silliness!) . . .
Old 24th August 2012, 03:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Yeah you need a director to bring their own unique stamp like the two previous Bats directors before Nolan. I think going more stylised and weird is definitely the way to go (Clay Face and Man Bat - embrace the silliness!) . . .
Though something leftfield like Darren aaronofsky's batman might be interesting as well!
Old 24th August 2012, 03:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Though something leftfield like Darren aaronofsky's batman might be interesting as well!
Is he still doing Wolverine? I get confused with who's in and out on all these comic book films. If he hadn't done Spiderman, I'd like to have seen a Raimi Batman film (Bruce Campbell as Wayne of course) . . .
Old 24th August 2012, 03:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Breeders (1997)

A watchable little film thats not to be confused with the 1986 gore flick of the same name. The most notable aspect to Breeders is that it stars British actress Samantha Janus in her pre Eastenders days. Also the fact she does a bit of nudity as well.

The Breeder of the title is a well realised creation all dripping fangs and huge claws its only on the odd occasion you see it walking that it looks like a man in a suit. The Breeder has a humanoid agent but she doesn't really do much except look hot in her shiny black outfit. I've no problem with that though.

In all honesty there are probably hundreds of C-movies like this and Breeders doesn't really stand out from the rest. However over the years i've seen it three or four times and it always provides an enjoyably diverting ninety minutes.

Dark Ride (2006)

Jamie-Lynn Sigler of The Sopranos stars in this decidedly old skool slasher film that undeniably takes many of its ideas and plot devices from the early eighties. Dark Ride most closely resembles Tobe Hooper's very average scarer The Funhouse. Unlike The Funhouse, Dark Ride is pretty nasty in places.

The killer in the movie hulks about like Jason Vorhees, however unlike Jason he seems to have picked out the daftest mask in the toybox. The characters are all a bit stereotyped, the geek who witters on about horror films constantly to anyone who'll give him the time of day, the possibly crazy hitch hiking girl, to name but two. Unfortunately the characters tend to do some dumb things. - Who really gets a blow job when your trapped overnight in a dark scary amusement ride?

The director keeps the action moving and makes the ride a genuinely creepy place to be holed up in. The film also has some excellent gory kills which would have enraged the censors back in the day.

Barring a few predictable moments Dark Ride is a decent watch for the modern day slasher fan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg breeders-1997.jpg (94.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg dark-ride-movie-poster.jpg (25.6 KB, 1 views)
Pete likes this.
Old 24th August 2012, 03:32 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I thought Dark Ride was one of the worst slasher films that I'd ever seen. But, different strokes etc.
Old 24th August 2012, 03:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I thought Dark Ride was one of the worst slasher films that I'd ever seen. But, different strokes etc.
Oddly enough so did i after a first viewing.

Something drew me back to it after a couple of years and i quite liked it, the same when i saw it again last night.
Old 24th August 2012, 03:38 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Oddly enough so did i after a first viewing.

Something drew me back to it after a couple of years and i quite liked it, the same when i saw it again last night.
I too thought it at least deserved a revisit. I've seen it twice: two too many times, if you ask me!

Like this? Share it using the links below!