Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179592Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th August 2012, 02:44 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

quite a few films viewed over the last two weeks...

QUATERMASS 2
Very good british sci-fi from Val Guest with a stern performance from brian Donlevy as Quatermass and very eerie atmosphere. Worth watching for the creepy SS Doom troopers who guard these massive domes.

LOCKOUT
What do you get if you cross the whit of John McClane, the anti-establishment mentality and badassery of Snake Pliskin, The Smoking habit of Cracker and the Special FX of a video game....LOCKOUT!....TOTALLY AWESOME BUT TOTALLY DUMB! 5/5

THE ROCKETEER
Incredible fun and harmless adventure film with a great premise and some good performances especially Timothy Dalton. Really good production design and the airship are pretty cool too.

RAIDERS OF ATLANTIS
This film was awesome, it was balls out action and some pretty cool post apoc sets. Why isn't it available properly in a remastered version.

ASYLUM
Pretty good Amicus offering ruined by final tiny robot finale and a obvious twist, best segment was the Peter Cushing bit but still a good fun ride.

ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS
watched the dutch blu-ray which is of course a port of the Criterion transfer and wow did they do a great job on this. Very good film with some stunning cinematography and great direction from Byron Haskin (War OF The Worlds)

SHOCKWAVES
A little bit overrated but still pretty good fun. Brooke Adams in a bikini is a wonderous sight.

OUTPOST 2: BLACK SUN
As good if not better than the first which expands the Outpost universe and looks more into the rise of the new reich and more about the electro-machine. Some great direction and action scenes and some really good performances. Can't wait to see what they do with the 3rd film.

SAFE
Full throttle action with the Stath on top form, just mental action sequences with some fantastic action scenes and some great direction from Boaz Yakin
(repeated myself there)

IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS
Very good Carpenter movie with a fantastic central performance from Sam Neil and some great Lovecraftian monsters.

THE COLD LIGHT OF DAY
bit crap in all honesty, Bruce Willis is in it for like 10 minutes but Henry Cavill was pretty good it's just a shame we've seen all of this before and better.

THE 3 WORLDS OF GULLIVER
Decent enough Charles Sneer production let down by abrupt inconclusive ending that confused me. Kerwin Matthews is good as Gulliver though.

ESCAPE FROM THE BRONX
bigger and badder than the first, top notch action and this time around Mark Gregory doesn't look like a fabio-esque male model. Pretty damn good stuff

THE NEW BARBARIANS
Decent enough Post-apocalypse action from italy, dragged down by low budget and over use of shoulder pads.

HARPOON: REYKJAVIK WHALE WATCHING MASSACRE
Actually pretty good Texas Chainsaw at sea horror film with some awesome gore moments and some pretty good performances.

THE HUNGER GAMES
Very good futuristic action thriller aimed at teens but obviously borrows heavily from 70s science fiction, most notably THX1138 and Logan's Run and mixes those with a Battle Royale style covered in Twilight sheen, but unlike the sparkly vampire, The Hunger Games is actually worth watch. Quite violent for a kids film though.
Old 30th August 2012, 09:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Snow Devils (Antonio Margheriti, 1967)

CONTAINS SPOILERS SORRY

Ahem. Once in a lifetime comes the opportunity to witness one of the most spectacular haircuts in the entire history of cinema. Sculpted to an alarming degree, I hope to Cthulhu that it was merely a wig, but sadly brethren I fear not......
The film itself was a competent exercise, with some choice dialogue ahem, in Tibetan shenaningans involving aliens who all resemble dusty Canutes imo cough cough.
Recommended!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th August 2012, 10:38 AM
Ex-member

THE FUGITVE - one of the best ever chase thrillers
Tommy Lee Jones deserving his Oscar
VIDOCQ - i see this every month or so, fantastic French supernatural horror,
come on some UK company release this with extras w/Eng subs unlike my and every other dvds released, the companies have the money.....
Old 30th August 2012, 12:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Probably not the right place for this, but I can't wait until the 15th of September!

Going to watch Moon, then They Live followed by the Vengeance Trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy and Lady Vengeance) at the Prince Charles in London. 6pm until 8am. Oh my!
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 30th August 2012, 12:36 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
HARPOON: REYKJAVIK WHALE WATCHING MASSACRE
Actually pretty good Texas Chainsaw at sea horror film with some awesome gore moments and some pretty good performances.
I more often than not have simillar taste to you Pedro, but this was absolutely terrible.
Old 30th August 2012, 12:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Was at work today and several people was whistling to the tune from Twisted nerve couldn't understand why, I ask them all if they new what they were whistling and name the film it was from, not one could, found out why someone had it as his theme tune of his phone for messages, they went round asking older people to see if anyone heard of the film,no one had so thought I was making the film up,
Just logged into letter boxd and first thing I saw was what was watched by bizzare eye and it was twisted nerve I slightly chuckled to myself,
It's more likely they took the piece of music from Kill Bill – Elle Driver whistles is in the corridor on the way to The Bride's room.
Old 30th August 2012, 01:19 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
It's more likely they took the piece of music from Kill Bill – Elle Driver whistles is in the corridor on the way to The Bride's room.
talking of tunes
the opening music from INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS comes from so i read, WHITE LIGHTNING
but i was channel hopping the other day and the same tune was at the start of THE ALAMO by Dimitri Tiomkin
Old 30th August 2012, 02:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Final Fantasy......was drunk and was forced to watch
Masters of the Universe
Dirty Harry
The Incredible Hulk
Thor
Old 30th August 2012, 07:05 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Out of the Dark 1995

Don't be fooled by the trailer because this one is 80% typical Stephen Chow mo lei tau comedy and 20% more or less serious horror.
Luckily I knew this before going in...
Not bad if you like the typical Chow humor.

sawyer6 likes this.
Old 30th August 2012, 09:18 PM
Cult Addict

ROMASANTA.

I really liked this Spanish werewolf film set in the 1850s. It had a nice, familiar feeling to it that I can't quite put my finger on. It reminded me of warm fires, toast and winter afternoons as a child. Which is odd as I don't recall serial murder and women being wanked with bars of soap made from the fat of their relatives as being part of my childhood.
Frankie Teardrop and sawyer6 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!