Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179037Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st August 2012, 09:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Friday the 13th part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan.
Pretty much relentless killing from start to finish! I did start to wonder around the 70 minute mark whether or not Jason actually gets to New York but it seems he does for the last 25-30 mins haha - better than part 7, but I have come to the realisation that it's starting to lose it's charm since part 6!

Two more to go, if it's raining tomorrow they'll get watched
Old 31st August 2012, 09:15 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Two more to go, if it's raining tomorrow they'll get watched
Watch them anyway: sunshine is overrated!
Justin101 and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 31st August 2012, 09:44 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
WAR OF THE DEAD. Messy fun as the Nazis turn Russian troops into superhuman soldiers, zombies to you and I. This is pretty gun ho from the start and never really lets up on the action front as hordes of zombies get wasted by 3 soldiers. The plot is an absolute mess with loads of ideas hinted at or randomly thrown into the mix never to be explored or mentioned again.

OUTPOST II. Bigger, louder and more action packed than the first film but full of plot holes and endless conversions explaining the back story to the film. Still, the zombie Nazis look cool. I preferred the first film.
i love my Nazi Zombies but wasn't bowled over by War Of The Dead, i thought Andrew Tiernan was misscast as Stone and while it was well made, i thought they could have done more, but i guess that's what you get for a script written in 3 days. As for Outpost 2, i loved every minute of it, they went into more detail about the backstory of the machine and the ending was good leaving it open for a third.
Old 1st September 2012, 04:59 PM
Cult Veteran

Jason Goes to Hell... wtf lol, how did they come by such a bullshit premise for a story, Jason shouldn't be supernatural and 'only a Vorhees can kill him'. Not even any memorable death gags...

Old 1st September 2012, 06:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Straight on till Morning (1972)

What a total let down this film was.

Step forward Mr. Shane Briant.

Shane Briant is completely unconvincing and overplays constantly without an established star like Peter Cushing to reel him in. To cap his disasterous performance off he has the look of a drummer rejected by Poison. He seems to play the same pompous, slightly crazed, and detached role that he adopts for the far superior Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell. No wonder he ends up in tv mini series hell for the rest of his career. His most deranged moment comes as he smudges Tushingham's lipstick when she has her hair done.

Leading lady Rita Tushingham has no appeal whatsoever, simpering about all over the place.

Unfortunately Straight on till Morning is just a typical down in the dumps kitchen sink drama, alas without the blackly comedic dramatic touch applied by someone like Mike Leigh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MPW-54948.jpg (47.0 KB, 2 views)
mr 420 and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 1st September 2012, 06:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Jason Goes to Hell... wtf lol, how did they come by such a bullshit premise for a story, Jason shouldn't be supernatural and 'only a Vorhees can kill him'. Not even any memorable death gags...
We did say it was shit, haha.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 1st September 2012, 08:02 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Straight on till Morning (1972)

What a total let down this film was.

Step forward Mr. Shane Briant.

Shane Briant is completely unconvincing and overplays constantly without an established star like Peter Cushing to reel him in. To cap his disasterous performance off he has the look of a drummer rejected by Poison. He seems to play the same pompous, slightly crazed, and detached role that he adopts for the far superior Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell. No wonder he ends up in tv mini series hell for the rest of his career. His most deranged moment comes as he smudges Tushingham's lipstick when she has her hair done.

Leading lady Rita Tushingham has no appeal whatsoever, simpering about all over the place.

Unfortunately Straight on till Morning is just a typical down in the dumps kitchen sink drama, alas without the blackly comedic dramatic touch applied by someone like Mike Leigh.
Sadly, my landladies daughter seems to be be living this film at the moment. But no matter how hard you try to tell her that her boyfriend is no good, she just doesn't listen, and digs her heels in even more!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 1st September 2012, 10:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wrong turn 4 ... Wrong choice of film that got turn-ed off,
So stuck with what you know and can't go wrong superstitions a old classic horror with great atmospheric music,
Old 1st September 2012, 10:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Laura (1944)

Excellent noir thriller about a murdered girl who turns out to be alive, but who is dead and who killed her?

Probably the best film of Vincent Price's career, everything about Laura positively oozes class. First rate direction, a killer script, and some great performances, Dana Andrews as the lovestruck detective excels. No wonder, if i gazed at that sumptuous painting of Laura i too would be in love.

Although its a script starved of action until the final scenes it remains enthralling as there are no real clues to the killers motives or indeed who they are, you have to work things out along with Andrews detective.

If i was to compare it to something from recent decades i may well suggest Twin Peaks , as everyone including the detective has an agenda and could be the murderer including Laura herself.

Highly recommended to all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg laura_1944.jpg (76.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 2nd September 2012, 07:58 AM
Cult Addict

HUNGER GAMES.

After all the 'this years twighlight hype' I was expecting more inane drivel spewed forth from the mind of a middle-aged woman in the grips of a full blown mid-life crises, instead this is actually quite entertaining.

Think Logans run meets battle royale, but not as good as either of those, Hunger games is still a surprisingly entertaining slice of sci-fi.

The script could have used some tweaking and I could have done without some of the stupid character names, but overall this one was better than I was expecting.

Like this? Share it using the links below!