Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th September 2012, 04:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lawless....hey, a shitty la beef film i enjoyed!! oldman a bit underused but well worth the wait.

A Night In The Woods. tisn't TBWP you know, and if I say it's more akin to a Bergman film, thatll give people the wrong impression, but it's definitely more "grittish" in tone imo.....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th September 2012, 04:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I tape alsort of rubbish of horror channel if never heard of the film,
But end up deleting half before the adverts because some of the films are really bad and not even watchable or very badly made or acted,
Old 18th September 2012, 05:34 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
I saw this at the cinema on my holiday in Florida earlier this year. My fiance and I both thoroughly enjoyed it. Then again we are easily pleased when it comes to childrens book adaptations, we both love the Harry Potter and Percy Jackson films too. Kelly collects Hardback childrens books and I collect blu's so we both need to get this ourselves actually. I need to get the HMV Steelbook
The blockbusters limited edition has a £5 gift card in it, the sainsbur's one has an extra disc. Worth shopping around with hunger games.
Old 18th September 2012, 06:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

A Short Film About Love (1988)

Polish director Krzysztof Kieslowski's masterpiece is based on a piece from his celebrated Dekalog cycle of shorts.

It follows a young man who falls in love with an older woman he spys on in the same Warsaw apartment block. Seeing a succession of lovers she brings back with her. When she becomes aware of him she confronts him with a sexual invitation.

The film explores the themes of love and voyeurism that despite the cold Polish settings displays a warmth and erotic air that other films strive for. The film is romantic but its a different sort of romance, the viewer is desperate for the young man to meet the woman and then fall in love. When the almost inevitable happens the film takes a sinister turn as the lad can't cope with the womans promiscuity and the likelihood that to her it is just sex rather than fulfilling a yearning.

For the most part A Short Film About Love is a study of desperate love that inevitably leads to heartbreak. Its a brilliant piece of film making, both poignant and tender, and beautifully acted.

A film i regularly go back to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l.jpg (55.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 18th September 2012, 06:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

I've just watched Argento's OPERA, as I watched(in Italian) I began to notice the actors seemed to be speaking English, so I reset the audio to English and... yep, the film seems to have been shot with an English script. I looked online but nothing found, I know that post dubbed films have the actors speak lines as they like as a guide, but even Daria seems to be speaking lines in English, am I mad or are they speaking English?
Old 18th September 2012, 06:36 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
I've just watched Argento's OPERA,… am I mad or are they speaking English?
I've seen it with both language tracks and the English one always seems more 'natural', fitting the actors' mouth movements more accurately.
Old 18th September 2012, 06:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Glad it's not just me then.
Old 18th September 2012, 06:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
A Short Film About Love (1988)

Polish director Krzysztof Kieslowski's masterpiece is based on a piece from his celebrated Dekalog cycle of shorts.

It follows a young man who falls in love with an older woman he spys on in the same Warsaw apartment block. Seeing a succession of lovers she brings back with her. When she becomes aware of him she confronts him with a sexual invitation.

The film explores the themes of love and voyeurism that despite the cold Polish settings displays a warmth and erotic air that other films strive for. The film is romantic but its a different sort of romance, the viewer is desperate for the young man to meet the woman and then fall in love. When the almost inevitable happens the film takes a sinister turn as the lad can't cope with the womans promiscuity and the likelihood that to her it is just sex rather than fulfilling a yearning.

For the most part A Short Film About Love is a study of desperate love that inevitably leads to heartbreak. Its a brilliant piece of film making, both poignant and tender, and beautifully acted.

A film i regularly go back to.
My cup of tea,unfortunately I haven't seen it yet
Old 18th September 2012, 07:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The best thing about street trash,IMO,is the brilliant 2 disc dvd cover released by synapse a few yrs back. Love that cover,hate the movie.
Old 18th September 2012, 09:01 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
I don't get why anybody watches anything on the Horror Channel. It's like you've rubbed Vaseline over your telly beforehand.

Maybe it's because my TV is quite big, I dunno, but it looks so bad.
there are alot of films on the horror channel which ive (and others) have never heard of before
saw THE DARKOOM before and last night i recorded the fine film
there are some crap films shown of course, AND NOW THE SCREAMING STARTS, BEAST MUST DIE, PSYCHOSIS, 13HRS etc but they do show some good horrors, OPERA, TENEBRE, SWITCHBLADE ROMANDE, MARTYRS etc
French horror BABY BLOOD is on friday

Like this? Share it using the links below!