Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2012, 10:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
It's taken me years of false start and abandoned screenings but I'm finally enjoying the films of Jean Rollin, courtesy of the Redemption/Kino Blu's - I watched Rape of the Vampire yesterday afternoon, on the hop from work, and it's a strange and magickal film if you can tune into Rollin's peculier wavelength...

I never knew it was black and white. Quite a surprise.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:12 PM
Cult Master

83642_180x180_1.jpg

Its a long time since i seen this the dvd is not great quality so an upgrade is on the cards for me.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Name of the Rose
Holy crap, there's some ugly f*ckers in this, good film though.Sean Connery is great and is, undoubtedly, the best looking cast member in it.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:15 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Here's some things I've seen recently and my thoughts upon said things

The Killing - Not the Danish one with the lady in the jumper, but the early Kubrick - it's pretty good apart from a dumb voiceover telling you whats going on (Eminem spoofed this in the Guilty Conscience video I now realise) and a racehorse being shot. Not dissimilar to Riffifi with the same fatalistic, we're all doomed (especially criminals) vibe.

Hotel - Yet again, 3rd time in a year. What is it with this movie? Saw through it's technique this time - every shot is simply held for about 20 seconds longer than necessary - yet it still spooks me. There's a scene which simply shows the lead actress in an old fashioned dressing gown bending over, except the framing cuts her head off and it seems shot in a weirdly elongated way - inexplicably shivery.

Paranorman - 3rd cinema visit in as many weeks and it's still all good. I loved this, although its probably scarred my mates kids for life. Never thought I'd see Cannibal Apocalypse referenced in a kids movie. Either we're living in strange times or i'm getting old - probably both. One moan - why didn't they follow through on the 'seeing dead people' angle - those early spectres were hilarious, especially the mobster still in his concrete 'boots'!

Strip Nude for Your Killer - Hmmm. I've been on a 'classics' kick lately so thought I'd add a bit of roughage to my diet and watch this piece of shucht. All i remember is a succession of luridly coloured underpants and breasts. Lots of breasts. They don't make them like this anymore, thank Christ.

Wages of Fear - Now you're talking, what a film - just oozes atmosphere for the first hour and tension for the second. I think it's all a descent into hell, complete with inferno and devilish twist at the end but you'll be too gobsmacked to notice at the time. French actors & directors circa 1950s were incredible - Les Diaboliques, Les Yeux Sans Visage, Riffifi and now this - any other recommendations most welcome.

Barfly - Mickey Rourke's performance here is something else, I can't decide whether it's his best or worst. Looks like he's got a mouthful of cotton wool in his gub, a la Brando and he adopts a weird stooped gait for the entire movie - and what's that accent about? Jack Nance is in it! So is Frank Stallone! Catfight between Faye Dunaway and a snobby blonde bird at the end briefly stirs the torpor. Actually I quite like this film for all its drunken tottering.
Rourke does a fairly good impression of Charles Bukowski, the author of the film through out. Sean Penn was originally up for the role, Bukowski preferred him. The book "Hollywood" by Bukowski gives his version of the making of "Barfly" and what a knob Rourke was during it.

The film also contains one of my favourite insults: "Your Mother's c*nt stinks like carpet cleaner"
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:17 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
It's taken me years of false start and abandoned screenings but I'm finally enjoying the films of Jean Rollin, courtesy of the Redemption/Kino Blu's - I watched Rape of the Vampire yesterday afternoon, on the hop from work, and it's a strange and magickal film if you can tune into Rollin's peculier wavelength...

Have you seen "The Iron Rose", a thing of wonder and beauty.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:22 PM
Active Cultist

It's bad news when you're sofa bound and incapable of working the blu ray player - sudddenly you're at the mercy of TV for a movie. A few weeks ago it was Jaws 4, which I claimed on here was the worst movie of all time - however, maybe not - I've been watching something called The Break-Up starring people called 'Jennifer Aniston' and 'Vincent Vaughan'. Hell's this shit? Every line falls like a turd, the characters are beyond unbelievable -rich, loveable white eccentrics with interesting jobs and endless free time to arse around -, the music is bland focussed grouped 'rock' (just a slight edge please Mr Director we need to appeal to the rebellious demographic). A would-be comedy setpiece involving a brother in law singing at the dinner table was excruciating in its failure. Another scene at a bowling alley moved me to horrible tears. Tell me this wasn't a successful movie. Please.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:30 PM
Active Cultist

They've started shouting at each other a lot, is it possible I've spectacularly missed the point and the first half hour was meant to be shite, a spoof if you will? Ah who cares I'II never know cause. I'm off to bed.
Old 28th September 2012, 10:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
It's bad news when you're sofa bound and incapable of working the blu ray player - sudddenly you're at the mercy of TV for a movie. A few weeks ago it was Jaws 4, which I claimed on here was the worst movie of all time - however, maybe not - I've been watching something called The Break-Up starring people called 'Jennifer Aniston' and 'Vincent Vaughan'. Hell's this shit? Every line falls like a turd, the characters are beyond unbelievable -rich, loveable white eccentrics with interesting jobs and endless free time to arse around -, the music is bland focussed grouped 'rock' (just a slight edge please Mr Director we need to appeal to the rebellious demographic). A would-be comedy setpiece involving a brother in law singing at the dinner table was excruciating in its failure. Another scene at a bowling alley moved me to horrible tears. Tell me this wasn't a successful movie. Please.
Quick, switch channels to Film4(providing you're in the UK), Copycat is on, fantastic film, one of my personal favourites!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 28th September 2012, 10:34 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Oh I agree with you, I'm just looking for some cheap laughs tonight!
Cheaper than Donald pleasence in drag?
Old 28th September 2012, 10:48 PM
Cult Addict

Back to topic. Tonight I watched an enjoyable but trashy film called ROLLING VENGENCE.

Its about a trucker who loses some family to Ned beaty's idiot sons in a drunken attack who decides to take the law into his own hands by building a giant armoured monster truck with added weapons!

Old Ned is playing a 'tough guy' who runs a bar all the 'decent' locals are trying to get shut down because people get drunk and then drive home (the bar also has a stripper and serves chicken wings) His sons get off with the usual 'the law is an ass' scene in court (which is unconvincing since the one sober witness could identify them) and the whole thing is very 80's straight to video cheese of the best kind.

I'm thinking code red should acquire this film, I had to resort to a vhs rip in order to actually see it.

Highly reccomended though!

Like this? Share it using the links below!