Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179617Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th September 2012, 04:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Take Shelter

Pretty good, though I'd like to see a version with all the nightmare sequences stripped out - they all seemed a bit clumsy to me and worked against the subtlety of the human drama. Now if Polanski had directed it, then that would be a different matter . . .
Old 29th September 2012, 04:35 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Fantastic list Joe, have you seen William Freidkin's Wages of Fear update Sorcerer ? Incredible film...this needs a Blu-Ray immediately...

that looks like the poster for Friedkin's remake
Old 29th September 2012, 06:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
that looks like the poster for Friedkin's remake
Which was released theatrically in the UK as WAGES OF FEAR - I had no idea it had until I saw a quad poster in a film memorabilia shop in Notting Hill Gate. I love SORCERER - I'd love to see a Blu-ray with all bells and whistles.
Old 29th September 2012, 06:12 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
Which was released theatrically in the UK as WAGES OF FEAR - I had no idea it had until I saw a quad poster in a film memorabilia shop in Notting Hill Gate. I love SORCERER - I'd love to see a Blu-ray with all bells and whistles.
the U.S release is appalling, the picture quality looks really bad, great film though. Hope Friedkin wins his legal battle over this.
Old 29th September 2012, 06:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE INNOCENTS - Another film I can't believe it's taken me so long to get round to. Wow, what a disturbing experience. I was a bit put off at first by the early sixties recreation of period - a bit creaky, but probably only from the POV of my modernity fixation - but once we're heading towards the house, something happens and reality starts closing in on itself. Watching this film is like being slowly wrapped in an awful, mildewed veil. I don't know what it is, probably Freddie Francis' claustrophobic cinematography more than anything. There are a few really uncomfortable moments and a feeling of real bleakness overall, and I know I'll end up watching it again before dawn which is more than I can say for -
PIRANHA 2 - THE SPAWNING - although actually I enjoyed it, or bits of it, even though there was plenty of drag in places. But, basically, flying piranhas eat some holidaymakers and Lance Henrikson and Tricia O'Neil rescue the remainder. I liked the setting, some kind of weirdly arid post-disco Jamaican tourist resort with a hotel called 'Club Elysium', full of libidinous but ugly Americans. A few scenes worked well, like the one in the morgue, where a flying piranha bursts out of a corpse's chest cavity to feast on an attendant's throat, but really, in the absence of the arch approach of the original, it could've done with a whole lot more sleaze and gore, which is presumably what they were thinking when they they refurbished the 'franchise' a couple of years ago (to no great effect). The benefits of schadenfreude allow me a warm glow of smugness when I reflect that this was pompous twat JC's conspicuously inauspicious debut.
BLACK MAGIC RITES AND THE SECRET ORGIES OF THE 14TH CENTURY - aka 'The Reincarnation of Isabelle'. The first time I saw this I was plastered, and didn't take anything in. I'm glad I watched it straight today, because it's absolutely crackers. I don't know much about Renato Polselli, and of his other films I've only seen 'Delirium', but I really wonder where he was coming from. I think this was meant to be a pop-psychedelic Italo gothic piss take somehow years ahead but totally of its time, but I can't be sure. It could be a Doris Wishman style fantasia of edit madness and shitness. But I don't think so, it's too knowing. Some people gather in a castle to celebrate an engagement (or something, can't quite remember), but actually they are all reincarnations of those involved in some witch execution centuries earlier. I'm amazed that I can extract this much basic sense from the 'plot', because basically the film is a barrage of mashed up images and sequences of witchy nudity, lame gore, running around in corridors, weird rituals with guys in scarlet catsuits, bonkers three way forced sex with honky tonk / sped up chamber music accompaniment and portentous dialogue-delivering faces lit arbitrarily with swirling colours etc etc etc. This is perhaps how films are actually meant to be made, but somehow aren't.
Old 29th September 2012, 07:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Its probably been well discussed already but saw Cabin In the Woods last night and jeez, what a silly movie...and not in a good way.
Old 29th September 2012, 07:46 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Currently watching Beauty Investigator (1993) which makes a refreshing change from the more "classy" Shaws I've been watching lately.

I'll try to put some short reviews up soon.

Old 29th September 2012, 07:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Two very good docs on a flight to Chicago, a few weeks ago, Woody Allen: A Documentary and Marley... both were great and essential viewing...

Old 29th September 2012, 08:34 PM
Cult Addict

Been watching first season of boardwalk empire...supurb!

Also re-watched THE CHURCH for what must be the 30th time. Still love its moody gothic atmosphere, I know some people find it a bit dull for some reason but i've always really loved this film.
Old 29th September 2012, 08:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Nothing on at the cinema this weekend so a night in with some beers and Blu-Rays.

The Raid - excellent, but loses a little in the transition from big to small screen.

Detention - this played as a midnight film at last years Fright Fest. I enjoyed it much more on Blu-Ray, perhaps because I was less tired. Its a smart, funny homage to 80's and 90's pop culture.

Aggression Scale - Second time this week I gave this film a spin. Its an enjoyable Home Invasion/Revenge film which works quite well if you can get through the initial 30 minutes spent setting the film up.
Handyman Joe likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!