Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th September 2012, 08:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've always wanted to see The Church, the stills I've seen look fantastic. I must a grab a cheap copy...

It's a bit late to mention Prometeus, but I was disappointed - it just didn't work, even though the CG was great, when the scene came up with the too assholes lost in the cave that movie was lost on me forever...
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th September 2012, 11:29 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
I've always wanted to see The Church, the stills I've seen look fantastic. I must a grab a cheap copy...

It's a bit late to mention Prometeus, but I was disappointed - it just didn't work, even though the CG was great, when the scene came up with the too assholes lost in the cave that movie was lost on me forever...
The anchor bay or later Blu underground release of the church are never expensive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Church-DVD-R...8961085&sr=1-1

Interesting to delve into some of background of stuff researched and included in the film...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fulcanelli-A...8961205&sr=1-1

Fulcanelli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 30th September 2012, 08:28 AM
Active Cultist

And the winner of the most underrated horror country is.....Mexico. I've only seen a dozen or so movies but each one has had a distinctive logic free, don't give a shit feel to them. Take The Witches Mirror which I watched this morning. The plot in a nutshell - mad witch vs mad scientist. Thats not the half of it though, just about the entire history of horror to that point is chucked into the mix. The Black Cat, Les Yeux Sans Visage, Black Sunday, The Beast With Five Fingers, The Premature Burial and on and on. It's a fever dream of nonsense, but the thing is, it's so beautifully shot - the equal of most of Universals output - that you just go with the flow and barely notice the absurdities piling up. An unremarked upon owl roosting in a scientific laboratory is the height of normality in this movie.
Old 30th September 2012, 08:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Yep, The Church is a great film, I have the old AB disc.
Watched the 1925 version of Phantom of the Opera last night, I've never owned this on any format but seeing as its in the public domain it's readily available for free online. Has anyone seen the Blu that came out last year and if so, is it worth buying?
I think after the 1989 Robert Englund version, this is my second favourite adaption of Gaston Leroux's famous gothic masterpiece, Lon Chaney really was a master at creating his own make up, superb
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 30th September 2012, 09:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cheers mate, looks like I'll be adding this to my collection pretty soon!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 30th September 2012, 10:05 AM
Cult Addict

Yeah, I also love The Church.
I have the BU DVD.
keirarts likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 30th September 2012, 11:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm trying to cram in quite a few watches this weekend because I still don't have DVD access for most of the week:
FRANKENHOOKER - Probably fourth or fifth time I've seen it. Weird how your perspective on a movie can change with just a minor shift in time and circumstance, 'cos I've never really rated it up till now. It's not up there with 'Basket Case' - one of my top five fave flicks ever, easily - or 'Bad Biology' for that matter, but it's still a tasty, schlocky morsel. James Lorinz has to be the most criminally underexposed actor of all time and I really wish he did more stuff. Here he's a beleaguered mama's boy / mad scientist and plays to perfection, often seeming like he's ad libbing his way through the mangled mulch of hooker-derived body parts he needs to reassemble to bring ex-gf back from the dead. Times Square looks day-glo rather than sleazy, but the whole movie shares that stylised, carnivalesque tone. Come on Frank, give us more.

UNTHINKABLE - I've been watching quite a few mainstream thrillers recently. I don't really comment on them because I often find they don't interest me in the end, but this one surprised me both with its dark tone and its willingness to actually ask / provoke questions. OK, there's a standard narrative arc about the race against time to extract information from a radicalised American turned terrorist who's planted nukes around the US. But, despite some shrill moments and bits of cliche, it gets into some pretty deep waters. I guess it could be read as a take on that age old question which always comes up in social psychology research - how far would people go to stop something bad happening? But it could also be seen as a stark rendering of the complicity of political power in acts of brutality designed ultimately to maintain the status quo. Others have interpreted 'Unthinkable' as a justification rather than a critique of interventionist state torture. I notice that about a lot of Hollywood movies these days - they often offer a conservative reading for reactionaries and a radical one for liberals. Anyway, this one surpasses that kind of cynicism by being quite aggressive and raw in tone. I liked the fragmented portrayal of power - FBI, CIA, military and Government all at odds, but all willing to operate outside of their own laws - this is actually where the film shows its hand most clearly. And Samuel L Jackson was good in his role as state torturer, radiating the haughty bravado of a narcissistic minor functionary rather than the evil menace of a rote sadist. Whatever one takes away from 'Unthinkable', it's highly gripping, really emotive and quite savage.

DIE - Not very good post-'Saw' type film for those who aren't already sick of that kind of thing (I am, I just wanted something to stare at in the early hours today - probably should've settled for watching my fridge door for 90 mins). There's a reasonably interesting theme about suicide attempters being given a second chance - by a psychopath with a screamingly obvious god complex who makes them roll dice to decide whether they should stick to the death route - but despite the presence of talented and interesting people like Elias Koteas it just never catches fire. Not much else to say apart from, if you like bland horror thrillers, this is for you.
Old 30th September 2012, 02:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Command Performance (2009)

Dolph Lundgren plays a drummer in a rock band who inadvertantly has to fight off a terrorist group and save himself and the Russian president.

What starts out as quite a departure from the norm with these type of films - ie - it has a budget and is well shot, Command performance has a decent opening half hour which sets the scene pretty well giving well rounded introductions to all the characters.

Unfortunately it then descends into a by the numbers action film where everyone creeps around dimly lit corridors and ultimately nothing much happens.

Trackman (2007)

I was looking forward to watching this Russian slasher film. I think the only other Russian horrors i own are the visually impressive Nightwatch / Daywatch films. Just like Command Performance it starts very well with a group of bank robbers escaping from said bank with their hostages with a well thought out virtually fool proof means of escape. So far, so good. Their escape leads them to a deserted underground railway line that is apparently haunted by a survivor from the Chernobyl disaster, who legend has it, slaughters all he meets.

The film is set up excellently then descends into the typical scenario of running round dark passageways and people being murdered in the blackness. The Trackman himself looks quite good but the kills are very uninspiring and not particularly graphic.

By the mid way stage all characterization reverts to type and we no longer give a monkeys about anyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Command_Performance.jpg (17.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg trackman_poster2.jpg (63.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 30th September 2012, 02:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Profondo Rosso aka Deep Red

Nightmare City

Rats: Nights of Terror

Hell of the Living Dead aka Virus
bdc, keirarts and Hawkmonger like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!