Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th October 2012, 09:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Watched quite a few lately:

BRIGAND OF KANDAHAR (hammer - Studiocanal DVD): About as matinee as it gets!
THE SCARLET BLADE (hammer - studiocanal DVD): Still matinee but more of a plot and a great performance by Reed.
MURDER OBSESSION (Raro BD): fantastic satanic eurohorror, had read bad reviews but was pleasantly surprised.... the first Freda film & Rarovideo release I've watched and I was impressed on both fronts.
FOOTPRINTS (LE ORME) (shameless DVD): Surreal mystery film set on a strange island, slow paced but extremely atmospheric. Don't get to see Kinski much but Florinda Balkan is excellent as the confused protagonist.
THE BOSS (di leo - Raro BD): Henry Silva kicking arse!
THE ITALIAN CONNECTION (di leo - Raro BD): Woody Strode and Henry Silva kicking arse!
LISA AND THE DEVIL (Kino BD): Pretty confusing but generally good atmosphere + Telly Savalas in an amusing turn as a butler... who also happens to be THE DEVIL! *du du duuuuu*. I'm keen to see the alternate version also on the disc called THE HOUSE OF EXORCISM, it might make more sense!
BLACK SUNDAY (Kino BD): Very gothic and eerie; glorious black and white scenery... very entertaining hammer-esque story of a witch.
DEAD & BURIED (BU BD): Very atmospheric little seaside horror in which the residents aren't quite what they seem! stars Robert Englund among others.
DEATH RACE 2000 (German BD): Brilliant: cheesy, hilarious, gory and David Carradine steals the show! and the AV on this BD is very impressive too (+cheaper than the US BD on amazon)
DEMONIA (shriek show DVD): Slightly shoddy Fulci film... The story could have been better... The atmosphere suffers due to stagey lighting throughout + pretty crummy dubbing. Some good location-shooting and gore FX but overall a bit of a dissapointment.
MAN WITH THE SEVERED HEAD (arrowdrome DVD): Not exactly the height of technical efficiency, but very entertaining. Naschy puts in a pretty unexciting display but the rest of the cast do well enough. More of a crime thriller/mad scientist effort than horror.
DON'T GO IN THE HOUSE (arrowdrome DVD): I enjoyed this more than TOOLBOX MURDERS & MANIAC put together. Better script, better lead performance (by grimaldi) and more pyrotechnics!

Great review of Grimmfest by the way, Keirarts

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti

Last edited by oaxaca; 9th October 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 9th October 2012, 10:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

All great, interesting choices !
Old 9th October 2012, 12:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default What films have you seen recently?

What films have you seen recently?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vamp.jpg (58.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg ninthgate.jpg (39.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DVD-Box-art-for-Prometheus_event_main.jpg (59.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla.jpg (37.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 14972large.jpg (29.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 9th October 2012, 12:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Vic what did you think of Prometeus ?
Old 9th October 2012, 12:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Vic what did you think of Prometeus ?
I enjoyed it for what it was,then again if Ridley had just done two hours of people being chased by aliens id of been happy,I had no real expectations so was not disappointed,then again i am easily pleased
Old 9th October 2012, 06:56 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
DEMONIA (shriek show DVD): Slightly shoddy Fulci film... The story could have been better... The atmosphere suffers due to stagey lighting throughout + pretty crummy dubbing. Some good location-shooting and gore FX but overall a bit of a dissapointment.
I'll always remember the kid with "a secret stash of dirt" and the campfire shenanigans...
Old 9th October 2012, 08:14 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

images.jpg

Knew nothing of this film going in only what was mentioned in an other thread so i was very surprised that i enjoyed it so much. A great blind buy picture quality and sound were rubbish but felt just like the vhs days which i think added more to this film bringing more atmosphere to it.
VicDakin, bdc, oaxaca and 2 others like this.
Old 9th October 2012, 08:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Just watched Romero's THE CRAZIES (BU BD). This one exceeded all my expectations... The story moves along at 100 miles an hour and is a thrill-ride! The editing is one of the key reasons for this, shot follows shot with Peckinpah-style rapidity. The acting is also very solid all round and the paranoia generated by the situation the characters are faced with is tangible. Top film. Oh and the transfer is really impressive, unlike BU's transfer of DEAD & BURIED, which I wasn't bowled over by after watching last night.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 9th October 2012, 08:44 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post

Just watched Romero's THE CRAZIES (BU BD). This one exceeded all my expectations... The story moves along at 100 miles an hour and is a thrill-ride! The editing is one of the key reasons for this, shot follows shot with Peckinpah-style rapidity. The acting is also very solid all round and the paranoia generated by the situation the characters are faced with is tangible. Top film. Oh and the transfer is really impressive, unlike BU's transfer of DEAD & BURIED, which I wasn't bowled over by after watching last night.
Im just watching the DVD of this right now.
oaxaca likes this.
Old 10th October 2012, 08:44 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

ATTACK OF THE WEREWOLVES (2011) (AKA LOBOS DE ARGA) Terrific Spanish Werewolf horror/comedy Naschy would've been proud of.Nice to see old school creature effects instead of the heavy use of CGI too.The werewolves are impressive pumped up versions of the type we remember from the old Naschy movies as well as Roy Ashton's sterling work on Curse Of The Werewolf.Nicely atmospheric and genuinely funny with some good one liners.Recommended viewing & nice lenticular cover on the UK dvd.

Like this? Share it using the links below!