All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2012, 02:07 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Prometheus - 2012 US d: Ridley Scott

Proof positive that you can make a film with technical perfection and it will still fall short.

Dreary, badly developed, some astondingly bad acting from usually good performers, derivative (clichéd, even) and something of a travesty as part of the Alien series.

The only positives: it's not as bad as AvP:Requiem and it was quite witty of them to rip-off the costume design from Planet Of The Vampires.

Sorry Ridley, but you boring "big spectacle" films just don't do it for me at all. As empty and boring as Gladiator. No thanks.

Oh, it's not as bad as THAT travesty! I personaly liked it. But that was my greatest problem with it. It was ub par sci-fi that I WANTED....dear sweet zombie jesus did I want to love this movie. But as you have quite rightly pointed out, there a a few thing's that spoil the experience.
Old 12th October 2012, 02:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
[/B]
Oh, it's not as bad as THAT travesty! I personaly liked it. But that was my greatest problem with it. It was ub par sci-fi that I WANTED....dear sweet zombie jesus did I want to love this movie. But as you have quite rightly pointed out, there a a few thing's that spoil the experience.
I loved it. I personally found it so smart and clever, and tying in so well with the other films that I ignored the annoying bits, like running straight ahead away from a rolling structure

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 12th October 2012, 02:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Just finished watching the blu of Plague of the Zombies, I've had it ages but not got around to watching it before today. I must say that it looks absolutely fantastic in HD, another fine set from SC, really looking forwarde to the next batch of them to arrive in the next few weeks, including the George Lucas edit of The Devil Rides Out.
It's hard to believe that a mere two years after this fantastic zombie film was released a certain little known director from Pittsburgh would turn the genre on it's head by turning the slow moving "slave" type walking dead into the flesh eating monsters we all know and love today(well, not literally because bits would fall off left, right & centre!)
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th October 2012, 02:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Just watched this,not bad if you like the French Bilal comics...lots of eye candy.
Got it from a colleague at work who thought it was too weird.

I thought it excellent. Imaginative and beautiful.

As you say lots of eye candy, but a great cast as well - Kretschmann, Rampling and Linda Hardy was wonderful as the blue haired Jill. Added to this you get massive pyramids and the ancient God Horus.

Your colleague is wierd Immortal is a treat.
bdc likes this.
Old 12th October 2012, 05:33 PM
Active Cultist

Another mind-bender for me in the shape of World On A Wire. The thought of a 2 part 3 hr 40 min made for TV German movie from the early 70s might be a daunting one but this is a surprisingly accessable and playful movie, albeit a deep and philosophical one as well. I loved the retro futuristic look - think 2001 Kubrick or Solaris. Any Mad Men fans out there? Paul Kinsey's doppleganger is in this movie - either the actor or creator Matt Weiner must have seen this, its just too similar for coincidence. Points for use of Albatross by Fleetwood Mac. Lots of gloriously arty farty scenes with frozen models in the background like a mid seventies Roxy Music album cover. Central idea of infinite parallel realities seems very prescient or is the movie actually an acute portrayal of mental disintegration by paranoia? Strange decision by Criterion to have the end credits of part 1 appear halfway through the film - just edit them together dammit. Great picture though, really boosts the saturated, lurid 70s look.
Old 12th October 2012, 07:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Visions of Ecstasy and Axel. To be honest I am not sure why there was so much fuss around this film in '89. Its pretty tame stuff and not a lot different to some of the scenes in Scorsese's Last Temptation of Christ - although perhaps more sexually explicit. My view - pretty bad soft core port. Hopefully the "feature" Sacred Flesh will be more entertaining.

A Lonely Place to Die. I really liked this when I first saw it last year and see no need to change my opinion after a second viewing. A pretty straightforward action thriller.
Old 12th October 2012, 08:07 PM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Prometheus - 2012 US d: Ridley Scott

Proof positive that you can make a film with technical perfection and it will still fall short.

Dreary, badly developed, some astondingly bad acting from usually good performers, derivative (clichéd, even) and something of a travesty as part of the Alien series.

The only positives: it's not as bad as AvP:Requiem and it was quite witty of them to rip-off the costume design from Planet Of The Vampires.

Sorry Ridley, but you boring "big spectacle" films just don't do it for me at all. As empty and boring as Gladiator. No thanks.
Still better than Alien Resurrection.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 12th October 2012, 08:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invid Ninja View Post
Still better than Alien Resurrection.
Yeah but that film had Dan Hedeya, J.E. Freeman, Brad Dourif, AND Ron Perlman . . .
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 12th October 2012, 08:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Just finished watching the blu of Plague of the Zombies, I've had it ages but not got around to watching it before today.
Just got back home and unwrapped my birthday prezzies - this was one of em . . .
bdc, Rik and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 12th October 2012, 08:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Just got back home and unwrapped my birthday prezzies - this was one of em . . .
Happy Birthday
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!