Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179029Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th October 2012, 09:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

I hate garlic
Beyond72, bdc, g053584398 and 3 others like this.
Old 15th October 2012, 09:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

A rare thing just happened, I've turned a film off without making it to the end. The film was Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things and I lasted 40 minutes before I couldn't take anymore, I may try again at a later date but I highly doubt it, absolute garbage. Hopefully Dead of Night/Deathdream is an improvement otherwise I've wasted just under a tenner!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th October 2012, 09:32 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
DON'T GO IN THE HOUSE - A somber and sleazy fave from the late seventies, this one's sordid glow remains undiminished with time. Not that it's very explicit - it derives its power from its unrelenting gloom, which is offset slightly by the disco era fashion and some wooden performances (not Dan Grimaldi though, he's very convincing as the tortured flame throwing psycho householder with a babe in chains in a steel room). There were also aspects of the narrative arc which just left me thinking 'yeah right', but then how often does that happen with exploitation potboilers such as this? - I get like that when a film casts a spell then breaks it slightly. But anyway, great to see this one again, it's obviously very well known so I'll say little more except to note that I'm always left intrigued by the weird supernatural angle it seems to potentially suggest at points throughout.
I too like the supernatural element to the film especially when it is first introduced with a shot of one of the crispies watching Grimaldi which is not from his point of view.
Old 15th October 2012, 09:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Yep, Darabont wrote Dream Warriors... Yeah definitely a film in need of a revival. Sony own this one so who knows if Arrow could pick this up. Anyone from Arrow care to comment ?
If sony own it they'll just ditch it on Twighlight time ltd to 3000 copies, all of which will be bought up by people with way more cash than me so i'll have to stick to my dvd release.
Rik likes this.
Old 15th October 2012, 09:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
If sony own it they'll just ditch it on Twighlight time ltd to 3000 copies, all of which will be bought up by people with way more cash than me so i'll have to stick to my dvd release.
With crap photoshopped artwork and Freddy's jumper changed from red & green to brown & green to emphasise how much of a shitty person he is/was
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th October 2012, 09:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Comrades, from 1986, Bill Douglas' 3-hour epic about six 19th century farm labourers deported to Australia for organizing a workingman's union - intelligent, stylish, beautifully shot, designed and directed, and featuring an impressive cast, among them Keith Allen who's surprisingly good. If you're like me and like reading history, the excellent BFI Blu is highly recommended.

That's sounds excellent! Will have to watch it at some point

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 15th October 2012, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
A rare thing just happened, I've turned a film off without making it to the end. The film was Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things and I lasted 40 minutes before I couldn't take anymore, I may try again at a later date but I highly doubt it, absolute garbage. Hopefully Dead of Night/Deathdream is an improvement otherwise I've wasted just under a tenner!
Completely agree with you Rik, one of the few films i can think of where i ended up fast forwarding parts to get to the end quicker.
Rik likes this.
Old 15th October 2012, 10:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Completely agree with you Rik, one of the few films i can think of where i ended up fast forwarding parts to get to the end quicker.
Not just me then, I was expecting some backlash because of my comment. I've seen and own some truly dreadful films, but I've never not made it to the end before
Old 15th October 2012, 10:22 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Not just me then, I was expecting some backlash because of my comment. I've seen and own some truly dreadful films, but I've never not made it to the end before
No doubt there could be a backlash. We'll have to stand back to back and fight our way out of it.
Rik likes this.
Old 15th October 2012, 10:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Deathdream's good, but rather depressing.
Skip to the last 20 or 30 minutes with CSPWDT, and then things get better.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga

Like this? Share it using the links below!