Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st October 2012, 10:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Book of Eli on Channel 5, great post apocalypse film by the Hughes Brothers, highly recommended if you haven't already seen it
Nordicdusk likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 21st October 2012, 10:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscreams View Post
Recent viewing, all great except for Hotel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
No Bela Tarr?
Old 21st October 2012, 10:48 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer6 View Post
No Bela Tarr?
Not yet, I'm saving that for a special moment. But I am looking forward to it.
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 21st October 2012, 11:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE FRIGHTENERS - I don't go for mainstream comedy horror much, but it's not like I watch 'Tumbling Doll of Flesh' EVERY night. I actually really liked this, although when Michael J Fox's 'ghost buddies' turned up I thought I was going to hate it. I'm not really a Peter Jackson fan, and although 'Heavenly Creatures' is great, just about everything else he's put his hand to barring this has irritated the shit out of me. Thankfully 'The Frighteners' is dynamic and imaginative, and shifts surprisingly darkwards in tone towards the end. I have a weird liking for MJF and for some reason always think there's something a bit dodgy about him. On a more worrying level I found myself sickeningly jealous of J Comb's haircut, although it was nice to see the uptight dweebmeister tearing off in his motor with a Sonic Youth track blaring from his stereo (unless I've made this bit up).

BODY MELT - Very good antipodean 'Street Trash' / Cronenbergesque medical horror, again with unwelcome comedy elements which in any case I could accomodate given the evil placentas and tripped out rib extractions on show. Dunno how well known this one is, I never hear all that much mention of it these days, but it certainly deserves some cult acknowledgement. Crammed full of grotesque characters, colourful gore and alienated suburban weirdness, plus it also has a go at one of the things I loath most in life, the organised fitness / leisure industry. Combines Harold Bishop with a rave - era soundtrack.
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
BODY MELT - Very good antipodean 'Street Trash' / Cronenbergesque medical horror, again with unwelcome comedy elements which in any case I could accomodate given the evil placentas and tripped out rib extractions on show. Dunno how well known this one is, I never hear all that much mention of it these days, but it certainly deserves some cult acknowledgement. Crammed full of grotesque characters, colourful gore and alienated suburban weirdness, plus it also has a go at one of the things I loath most in life, the organised fitness / leisure industry. Combines Harold Bishop with a rave - era soundtrack.
I watched this for the first time the other night (courtesy of a sale from Darthelvis on here). I first read about this film back in the early 90's in The Dark Side, which featured some cracking stills of the FX work and hadn't thought about it for nearly 20 years until I saw it listed on the DVD Trades thread so I to snap it up. Pretty decent film, but for me the best part was seeing Harold Bishop swearing!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 22nd October 2012, 08:52 AM
Cult Acolyte

I remember having Body Melt on a UK VHS, years ago.It featured artwork from Brian Yuzna's Society on the front cover for some strange reason.I also read about the film in DS magazine, and remember the stills you mention.That was what made me want to pick it up, that and the fact the FX were done by the same team behind Peter Jackson's Braindead.It wasn't a bad flick.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 22nd October 2012, 09:15 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Two "modern day" HK comedies...
More polished and less heavy on the unpc jokes than their older variants but still ok I guess.

Love on a Diet
Fat Choi Spirit

I probably enjoyed Love on a Diet the most.

Old 22nd October 2012, 09:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love Body Melt.

AAAnyway.

The Raid. With the comm. F this and F that, michty! Interested to see that the blu has u/c & UK Theatrical cuts. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

The Tunnel. Know this was dissed a while back by some on here, but I liked it. Echoes of TBWP certainly, and for a hardcore horror gamer, some nice touches haha. Cool "reveal" as well imo.

Being Flynn. Can see why De Niro went for this role, best job I've seen him do since Jacknife, good enough story etc, though might not have enough severed penis monsters for some Labbers

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd October 2012, 10:06 AM
Cult Rookie

The last movie I watched was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. The last movie I saw in theatre was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on opening night.
Old 22nd October 2012, 11:16 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Underworld Awakening
Mission Impossible 4

Like this? Share it using the links below!