Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179626Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th November 2012, 10:40 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

THE DEVIL'S RAIN. This is a very odd film. It starts with a 20 minute opening scene featuring William Shatner which feels like it should be the films climax. The viewer is thrust into the middle of the plot with no real understanding as to what the hell is going on. There's a book, a beardy bloke, Bill Shatner delivering lines like he's doing an amateur production of Shakespeare for the hard of hearing and a bloke who suddenly melts into a tiny puddle of wax. Combined with the woozy feeling I'm having from a head cold, it was all rather pleasing.

Next thing you know Bill's out in the desert in a ghost town which as the film progresses seems more and more like another dimension, inhabited by black cloaked figures who on occasion stand in wonderful poses against the desert background. Bill then offers to test his faith against the head Satanist in a wonderfully decorated Satanic church, complete with Church of Satan inverse Pentagrams inside Trapezoids. Of course, this is understandable as Anton LeVey, head of CoS, not only plays a High Priest in the film but is also credited as Satanic adviser. Though to be fair, I'm not sure what advice he gave the makers of the film. He uses the film as a propaganda piece to promote the philosophy of the CoS which are at odds with the films hell and brimstone ideas and story. Still it's nice to hear Ernest Borgnine recite lines from the CoS's Black Mass.

Some other stuff happens with a new set of characters until the infamous meltdown scenes at the end. These are truly great in the general yuckiness of them and the sheer length of time they are shown for, it feels endless yet never boring or over used. Some images for me hinted at sexual excess but I'm not sure why, nor do I wish to delve into my psyche to find out.

I watched this on the 23rd Century DVD release which had the added bonus of making me want to get up and adjust the tracking every now and then as it's a VHS rip.
Old 5th November 2012, 10:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy THE DEVIL'S RAIN

THE DEVIL'S RAIN
well if you ever want to upgrade i can highly recommend the Dark Sky release.

The Devils Rain.jpg
Old 5th November 2012, 10:52 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDakin View Post
THE DEVIL'S RAIN
well if you ever want to upgrade i can highly recommend the Dark Sky release.

Attachment 89498
I've thought about it but it just not that great a film. For all it's weird structure and semi artiness at times, it misses a certain something that would make me upgrade.
Old 5th November 2012, 10:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I've thought about it but it just not that great a film. For all it's weird structure and semi artiness at times, it misses a certain something that would make me upgrade.
some reason i have fondness for Shatner's over acting in this,and if im feeling really mental I go for a double with Kingdom of the Spiders,twice the shatner action.
KINGDOMSHOUTSPIDERSDVD.jpg
Old 6th November 2012, 06:27 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
some reason i have fondness for Shatner's over acting in this,and if im feeling really mental I go for a double with Kingdom of the Spiders,twice the shatner action.
Attachment 89499
Fully agree! Outside of WRATH OF KAHN, KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS (needs a blu-ray release!) and DEVIL'S RAIN (also needs one) are my two favourite Shatner movies. KINGDOM was re-issued a year or so back in a lovely special edition, great PQ and some interesting extras. The spider wrangler on the movie was certainly a brave fella!!
VicDakin and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 6th November 2012, 02:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Recently viewed:

Holy Virgin Versus the Evil Dead is such a fantastic title!

Have you even seen The Comet Strikes Bruno? If so what are you thoughts?
Old 6th November 2012, 02:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just watched Pulp Fiction again for the umpteenth time, despite being able to quote it pretty much verbatim these days, it still holds up as being probably my favourite film, even inspiring my choice of wallet a few years back which is in tatters now!
Watching the NOES remake now which I know most people hate, but I happen to really like it
Hawkmonger and ArgentoFan1987 like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 6th November 2012, 03:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy toupee or not toupee

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Fully agree! Outside of WRATH OF KAHN, KINGDOM OF THE SPIDERS (needs a blu-ray release!) and DEVIL'S RAIN (also needs one) are my two favourite Shatner movies. KINGDOM was re-issued a year or so back in a lovely special edition, great PQ and some interesting extras. The spider wrangler on the movie was certainly a brave fella!!
Im no trekkie,but I can watch WRATH OF KAHN and appreciate Mr Shatner's fine scenery chewing performance,special mention to the toupee as well it does a fine job also.
Old 6th November 2012, 05:06 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Today I had the day off work so watched:

The Lost Boys - still holds up as one of my favourite films. I loved it as a child and I still love it now. Looks great in HD too. Wish Near Dark looked this good in HD

Robocop - another absolute favourite of mine. Also looks great in HD.

Marebito - Weird but fairly enjoyable. A cameraman obsessed with wanting to experience true fear travels to an alternative world below the ground. There he finds a chained up naked woman who he brings back up to the surface to look after. Hhhhmmmm yeah okay, is there anything just plain strange that hasn't been thought up by someone, somewhere? ..... doubt it.

Bug - Wow! What a film. How Ashley Judd and Michael Shannon weren't Oscar winners with this performance is anyone's guess. A powerhouse that is up there with Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams in Blue Valentine. I really need to see more Friedkin films after this (only seen The Exorcist), next stop Killer Joe
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 6th November 2012, 06:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Attachment 89499
Shatner overacting? Surely not

Like this? Share it using the links below!