Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179626Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th November 2012, 11:59 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Look like Johnny Foreigner film you have to read to me!
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that?

Edith wait, now I do understand what you mean...

Last edited by monkeyscreams; 17th November 2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 17th November 2012, 01:14 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I really need to pick this up. I pre-ordered it from Axel, but of course they went bankrupt and I never received it. I've yet to find it for a 'customs friendly' price.
I ordered it off .com from a seller called marvelio. It was over $24 but slipped through with no problems. Theres an independent seller on there at the minute, bestb thing to do is message him/her and see if something 'can be done' about the items valuation through customs.
Old 17th November 2012, 01:17 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscreams View Post

Both highly recommended!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Didn't realise santa sangre is out in the uk. Definately worth picking up imo. Would be interested to know how it compares to the severin release.

A jodrowsky fan with a multi-region capable player would be advised to seek out the anchor bay releases of EL TOPO and HOLY MOUNTAIN on blu-ray. They look absolutely stunning.
Old 17th November 2012, 02:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

UP FROM THE DEPTHS
KILLER FISH
PIRANHA 2

(an obvious theme here)
Gojirosan and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 17th November 2012, 11:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched The bird with the crystal plumage last night and to be honest i didn't like it. It held my interest for about half an hour and after that my interest took a serious dive. The story was ok and it featured some nice camera work and the acting was decent enough,but i'm realising now that i'm probably not that much into giallo movies,though i do have Deep Red lined up for tonight. Having said that i do like Dario's later works like Suspiria,Tenebrae and Phenomena.
Old 17th November 2012, 11:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE HILLS HAVE EYES - The remake. I thought it was pretty good. The build-up felt a bit overlong and tedious, but once it exploded into frantic horror about halfway through it didn't really let up. The mutants looked good, the gore was there, the 'horror of the American family' theme was overdone and the 'redemptive' ending was a bit meh, but what won me over were snippets like the ghost town strewn with mannequins and the full on-ness of some of the attack scenes.

I DRINK YOUR BLOOD - Essential seventies nastiness. Satanic hippies stranded in small town America rape a local girl and spike her granddad... the girl's brother infects them with rabies contaminated meat pies (!) and the inevitable bloodbath begins. Disjointed in tone and construction and guaranteed to leave you with a low grade fever with its frequent outbursts of gleeful viciousness. Fave line: "I don't know much about LSD, but I sure know a lot about rabies!" Plays like a wooden public information broadcast warning of the dangers of a tripped out lifestyle one moment, then swings over into mean spirited nihilism the next. Delirious and frenetic, a victory for trash.

HOME SICK - Wasn't really sure what to make of it, but I liked bits of it. Bill Moseley turns up unannounced at a house full of goths and... well, it all gets a bit confusing (I was drunk when watching, so maybe its more sensible than I remember it) but there are murders, a giallo type killer, over the top gore, stuff about returning to your home town, Sid Haig (edit - a Sid Haig lookalike) as a paramilitary guy and a demon at the end. Normally I like movies with a scrambled feel (see above), but 'Home Sick's fractured tone, seemingly going for slightly goofy black comedy one minute then the next appearing darkly surreal, just felt a bit jarring. But certainly quite arresting in places and worth a watch.
Old 17th November 2012, 11:33 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I completely agree with your reviews of The Hills Have Eyes remake and I Drink Your Blood. As I haven't seen Home Sick, I can't comment, but it sounds like it's worth a watch.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 17th November 2012, 12:53 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE HILLS HAVE EYES - The remake. I thought it was pretty good. The build-up felt a bit overlong and tedious, but once it exploded into frantic horror about halfway through it didn't really let up. The mutants looked good, the gore was there, the 'horror of the American family' theme was overdone and the 'redemptive' ending was a bit meh, but what won me over were snippets like the ghost town strewn with mannequins and the full on-ness of some of the attack scenes.

I DRINK YOUR BLOOD - Essential seventies nastiness. Satanic hippies stranded in small town America rape a local girl and spike her granddad... the girl's brother infects them with rabies contaminated meat pies (!) and the inevitable bloodbath begins. Disjointed in tone and construction and guaranteed to leave you with a low grade fever with its frequent outbursts of gleeful viciousness. Fave line: "I don't know much about LSD, but I sure know a lot about rabies!" Plays like a wooden public information broadcast warning of the dangers of a tripped out lifestyle one moment, then swings over into mean spirited nihilism the next. Delirious and frenetic, a victory for trash.

HOME SICK - Wasn't really sure what to make of it, but I liked bits of it. Bill Moseley turns up unannounced at a house full of goths and... well, it all gets a bit confusing (I was drunk when watching, so maybe its more sensible than I remember it) but there are murders, a giallo type killer, over the top gore, stuff about returning to your home town, Sid Haig (edit - a Sid Haig lookalike) as a paramilitary guy and a demon at the end. Normally I like movies with a scrambled feel (see above), but 'Home Sick's fractured tone, seemingly going for slightly goofy black comedy one minute then the next appearing darkly surreal, just felt a bit jarring. But certainly quite arresting in places and worth a watch.

I really rate the remake of Hills. In many ways I consider it a better film than the original, and that is a very small and honoured list indeed!

I really must watch I Drink Your Blood!
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 17th November 2012, 06:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I watched a film called Triangle last night.

For the first half-hour, I thought I knew what I was in for. I was expecting a run-of-the-mill slasher film. I Couldn't've been more wrong! It's a completely a WTF kind if film and took me completely by surprise. It's one of the best thrillers I've seen in ages!
Old 17th November 2012, 06:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 View Post
I watched a film called Triangle last night.

For the first half-hour, I thought I knew what I was in for. I was expecting a run-of-the-mill slasher film. I Couldn't've been more wrong! It's a completely a WTF kind if film and took me completely by surprise. It's one of the best thrillers I've seen in ages!
I watched this recently, and pretty much felt the same way.

Like this? Share it using the links below!