All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th November 2012, 11:22 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

That's a lot of viewing there, Nos!

What's The Raven like? I've heard mixed opinions.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:28 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post

Well, the last 12 are Pixar shorts!

I intended to rent the 2012 version of The Raven but only looked at the title on the Lovefilm website, so rented a straight-to-video one from 2006 with zero production values and which is abysmal in every aspect! I've since remedied the situation by putting the version I want on my Lovefilm list, which I'll hopefully watch this week.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:30 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Well, the last 12 are Pixar shorts!

I intended to rent the 2012 version of The Raven but only looked at the title on the Lovefilm website, so rented a straight-to-video one from 2006 with zero production values and which is abysmal in every aspect! I've since remedied the situation by putting the version I want on my Lovefilm list, which I'll hopefully watch this week.
Still impressive, despite the shorts!

Ah, okay - I assumed it was the 2012 version that you'd watched. Be interesting to know what you think of it.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:33 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I didn't think The Woman In Black suffered as a result of the distributors decision whereas Taken 2 really did. The decision made for The Thompsons is, as you say, really bizarre though.
I completely agree about The Woman and Taken 2 and the effects the cuts made on them had on the finished film, with The Woman appearing largely unaffected whereas the Liam Neeson action vehicle felt completely anaemic and boring.

I'm one of those who really liked The Hamiltons, so I want to watch The Thompsons, cut or otherwise.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:37 AM
Cult Rookie

Default Nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Just had the privilege of watching NEKROMANTIK on the silver screen (in Leeds, at the tail end of the film festival). Jorg B was present for an affable Q&A... an enjoyable little evening (which seems a bizarre thing to say, given that twenty years ago you imagine cinemas being stormed by riot police for showing same).
Interestingly, one of the festival facilitators happened to mention during his introduction that they'd had to submit 'Nekro...' to the BBFC in order to get it shown legally, and were told that, in this day and age, it would pass uncut at 18 (I thought it'd always stumble on the gratuitous rabbit flaying front, but apparently not). Whilst I can't imagine the likes of Arrow and Second Sight straining at the leash to give 'Nekromantik' a UK release, it'd be nice if someone did.
Actually, Nekromantik, Nekromantik 2 and Der Todesking had several UK theatrical showings in London and Manchester without any legal issues. rather surprised that a film festival that will be showing numerous unrated films had to do this - perhaps that was just hype?

I know of at least two labels who were interested in releasing these films over here, but JB seemed indifferent to the idea. I think he'd rather just sell directly to UK customers.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 19th November 2012, 11:38 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Still impressive, despite the shorts!

Ah, okay - I assumed it was the 2012 version that you'd watched. Be interesting to know what you think of it.
Including the Pixar shorts, I went past the 1000 mark for films I've watched this year (now at 1005) and I'll do the same next week so it'll be interesting to see whether I watch more or less feature films than this week.

Hopefully, one of those will be the James McTeigue version of The Raven, so I'll report back.
Old 19th November 2012, 12:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Its from Ulli Lommel - Have a guess.
Old 19th November 2012, 12:09 PM
Cult Addict

Ah! For The Birds! My childhood can be summed up in that one film. Wonderful piece of short film it is, one of Pixar's best.
And what did you make of The Night Child and Hatchet for the Honeymoon? I watched both recently via Arrow's DVD and Redemptions BD respectively. Liked them both very much.
Old 19th November 2012, 12:28 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Ah! For The Birds! My childhood can be summed up in that one film. Wonderful piece of short film it is, one of Pixar's best.
And what did you make of The Night Child and Hatchet for the Honeymoon? I watched both recently via Arrow's DVD and Redemptions BD respectively. Liked them both very much.
I love For the Birds. It's such a delightful short film with brilliant animation, sound design and, moreover, it's very funny no matter how many times you've seen it before.

I was impressed by The Night Child – Nicoletta Elmi isn't exactly leading lady material, but she's suitably creepy as the possessed girl. As for Hatchet for the Honeymoon, the title is a little misleading as the killer's weapon of choice is a meat cleaver, but it's a quality drama by Mario Bava and the next step is to listen to Tim Lucas' commentary.
Old 19th November 2012, 03:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched American Grindhouse documentary last night. Enjoyed it immensely. Nice to see Lewis Teague and Jack Hill,heard about them but never saw either of them before. John Landis was his usual entertaining self. Good selection of movies reviewed and talked about,not seen them all but familiar with most.Didn't check out the extra's as it was getting late but i will do at some stage. Anyone interested the disc is released by Lorber and is a region free dvd. I noticed Calum from HRP's name in the production credits so i'm thinking we may get to see some of those guys from AG in Calum's doc in March 2013!
Make Them Die Slowly and Wes like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!