Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179482Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th November 2012, 02:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Killer Joe last night.
Movie was ok,but McConaughey was excellent.
Worth watching to see his great performance.
Old 26th November 2012, 03:19 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
The final chapter certainly changes the entire meaning of the book
Wasn't the book written by Anthony Burgess when he had recuperated after being attacked at home, with the Frank Alexander (Patrick Magee) character based on him? I read the book represents his belief that people aren't inherently bad and can be rehabilitated.
Old 26th November 2012, 04:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Just a flying visit

Watched the following yesterday:

Tombs of the Blind Dead (1972)
American Gothic (1988)
Curse of the Crimson Altar (1968)
Murders in the Rue Morgue (1932)

Only one I wasn't sure about was American Gothic, I've seen so many mixed reviews usually pointing towards it being terrible but I thought it was rather good - just reading some of the reviews on Lovefilm again, most people seem to struggle with the concept being too weird which makes me wonder why they bother watching horror films at all
Old 26th November 2012, 04:19 PM
Active Cultist

I watched castellaris The Last Shark last night and found it to be appaling.
Im a massive fan of castellari and shark films so thought i was on to a winner but it was a real letdown. it was even worse than Jaws 4 - The revenge.
Old 26th November 2012, 04:21 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcol View Post
I watched castellaris The Last Shark last night and found it to be appaling.
Im a massive fan of castellari and shark films so thought i was on to a winner but it was a real letdown. it was even worse than Jaws 4 - The revenge.
I don't see how that can't be great! Is it not even worth a watch!
Old 26th November 2012, 04:29 PM
Active Cultist

If your fan of either the director or shark films then check it out but be warned its got a really feeble plot and is a very short film. i hope lamberto bavas shark film is better.
PaulD likes this.
Old 26th November 2012, 05:06 PM
Cult Addict

I actualy quite like The Last Shark. Better than Mattei's Cruel Jaws (Which lift's footage from TLS).
Old 26th November 2012, 05:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
I actualy quite like The Last Shark. Better than Mattei's Cruel Jaws (Which lift's footage from TLS).
Wasn't it The Last Shark that was hammered with a lawsuit from Universal for plagiarism. Am i right in thinking it can't ever have a US release.
Old 26th November 2012, 05:50 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Survival of the Dead: had this languishing on my shelf for such a long time and finally took the plunge. It's pretty bad. Romero attempts at doing a zombie film (interestingly his first which is a direct sequel, of sorts, to a previous film) borrowing from the western genre which sounds kinda cool, the problem being it's so poorly written and utterly dull it just amounts to a waste of time. The idea behind it is pretty interesting and some of the western-inspired shots are nice but it never escapes from the poorly underwritten script or cheap visual effects; the cgi is beyond dismal and the practical zombie effects make it genuinely hard at times to distinguish the living from the dead. I watched it twice over two nights, the second time with the commentary on to see what Romero actually thought of it and was shocked to be listening to a commentary track full of self-satisfied guffawing at the cgi gags as if they're something to be proud of and the revelations of a former master of the genre thinking this is genuinely good work he's still doing.

Thriller: A Cruel Picture: I still think this is great. One of the most beautifully shot exploitation films which uses sound (or lack of) in a fantastic way. The dryness of certain scenes make it feel like an odd collision of arthouse and grindhouse and although I can understand why some oppose them, I find the lingering slow motion scenes of revenge perfectly fitting. Although I still find the hardcore inserts ugly and unnecessary (still, sign of the the times etc) I can't think of any other exploitation film which looks and feels like this one does.
Old 26th November 2012, 05:51 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Wasn't it The Last Shark that was hammered with a lawsuit from Universal for plagiarism. Am i right in thinking it can't ever have a US release.
Both that and Cruel Jaw's are not aloud to have US releases. Doesn't say anything about a R0 UK release though.

Like this? Share it using the links below!