Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th December 2012, 06:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Default Baytown Outlaws & Grabbers

The Baytown Outlaws This was the closing night film at Fantasy Film Fest in Hamburg. Although I had a ticket I had to skip the showing in order to catch a train home So I have been looking forward to the home video (or Bluray in this case) for the past few months. Although the narrative is perhaps a little too linear and pretty predictable if you are in the right frame of mind (e.g. after a six pack of beers) then there is enough spectacle, action and humour to make it a worthwhile watch. I was in the right frame of mind and really enjoyed it.

Grabbers (German Bluray release) I commented on this film over in my diary when I saw it earlier in the year at the Edinburgh International Film Festival and many of you will have caught it at subsequent festivals. It loses nothing in the transition to the small screen and is still worth a watch.
Old 8th December 2012, 06:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I went back to Coppola's Dracula this afternoon, after what has been a long time, I watched it last when I was in college and for 6 weeks we studied this film for an essay on how Hammer has influenced modern film-making, so fast-forward 14-15 years and here we are. I'd forgotten how good this film looks, Oldman is outstanding plus the sets and costumes are great. Yes, Keanu is shit and his accent still sounds like he's playing Ted 'Theodore' Logan, but it's a minor quibble from an otherwise stellar cast!

Excellent way to wind down on a Saturday afternoon after Christmas shopping...

I also forgot how bloody it was, and how rampantly sexual it all was, especially since I recently watched the Universal version.
Old 8th December 2012, 06:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I went back to Coppola's Dracula this afternoon, after what has been a long time, I watched it last when I was in college and for 6 weeks we studied this film for an essay on how Hammer has influenced modern film-making, so fast-forward 14-15 years and here we are. I'd forgotten how good this film looks, Oldman is outstanding plus the sets and costumes are great. Yes, Keanu is shit and his accent still sounds like he's playing Ted 'Theodore' Logan, but it's a minor quibble from an otherwise stellar cast!

Excellent way to wind down on a Saturday afternoon after Christmas shopping...

I also forgot how bloody it was, and how rampantly sexual it all was, especially since I recently watched the Universal version.
I've just been searching on ebay for the blu of this!
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 8th December 2012, 09:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Argento Mother of tear.
Wasnt to keen and for a a Argento film it didnt even feel like you watching a film by him just felt like a film anyone would have made definatly one of his worst..
Old 8th December 2012, 09:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I've just been searching on ebay for the blu of this!
If you have the DVD then the blu isn't much of an upgrade tbh! I was kind of disappointed when I saw it. So if your determined to get it then get it cheap!
Old 8th December 2012, 09:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
If you have the DVD then the blu isn't much of an upgrade tbh! I was kind of disappointed when I saw it. So if your determined to get it then get it cheap!
I have the special collectors edition 2 disc DVD, so I had only planned on upgrading if I could find it for under a fiver, the DVD looks great upscaled anyway
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 8th December 2012, 11:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
I really liked 'Alone in the Dark' when I saw it about five years ago, but the last time I watched it (around Feb / March this year) I found it a bit disappointing and boring in places. I can't account for the difference in 'pleasure yield' between viewings, although it's fairly typical for me to feel very differently about a film from showing to showing. I'll have to give it another shot to get things straight, or to at least find another perspective.
Weirdly, I felt the same way about 'Alone in the Dark' on watching it the second time around. I'm not sure why, it could be due to the big reveal at the end (which I won't spoil here), which really took me by surprise the first time I watched it and added a lot to the film for me. I still think it's a solid thriller and Donald Pleasance is as reliably kooky as ever but it's not one I can see myself returning to again in the near future.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 9th December 2012, 11:42 AM
Cult Master

download.jpg

Two brothers lives are turned upside down when their father gets a visit from an angel telling him he has a gift to spot demons when he touches them and is tasked by god to rid the earth of these demons. Younger brother Adam believes his fathers mission is real but older brother Fenton is not so convinced.

I was really surprised by this film it was just a random watch for me so expected nothing but i was taken in by it right from the start. Well worth a watch if you have not seen it.
Old 9th December 2012, 11:50 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Anyone know if studio canal are considering a recall on RASPUTIN. The audio is utter shite, to make matters worse if you listen to the audio commentary track the sound quality is much better during the quiet moments. AS this track is from a previous release its clearly a fault.
What's up with the audio on Rasputin? Any audio sync issues like they had with
DPOD?
Old 9th December 2012, 11:52 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 93403

Two brothers lives are turned upside down when their father gets a visit from an angel telling him he has a gift to spot demons when he touches them and is tasked by god to rid the earth of these demons. Younger brother Adam believes his fathers mission is real but older brother Fenton is not so convinced.

I was really surprised by this film it was just a random watch for me so expected nothing but i was taken in by it right from the start. Well worth a watch if you have not seen it.
I like this film, rented it when it was first released and managed to pick up the DVD from CEX for a pound I think a few weeks back

Like this? Share it using the links below!