Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179040Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th December 2012, 12:04 PM
Cultist

The Impossible (2012)

**** out of ****

3 A.M. (2012)

This is a Thai horror anthology of three stories. As with most of these films, the stories are hit and miss. The audience is spared the usual tedium of the wrap around segments. Instead the shorts are centered around the theme of each story taking place at "3 A.M.". I honestly don't know why this is significant. Apparently, it's "the ghost hour". I won't go into details about the plots as so to avoid spoilers. I will just say that the first story is utter shite and the second (the first showed in the trailer) is so so with a good premise, interesting themes and a neat twist but it was just not that well executed overall. The last story (the last showed below) is actually pretty good that has loads of humour with likable characters, it has a lot of energy with a pace that hurtles along, and I really like its narrative structure that helped provide some twists and turns.

Overall I would say it's worth a watch for some passable entertainment.

** out of ****

UPDATED WEEKLY

Last edited by DaveJ.W; 10th December 2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10th December 2012, 01:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Showed mate Lemora: A Child's Tale Of the Supernatural, to which he was suitably drawn in by. Regaled him with the difference in quality betwixt this, the lovely Synapse dvd, and my crappy precert vhs. Ahem. He wanted to watch Rollerball (75, natch) but I wasn't in the mood....so we watched (see tv thread)
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th December 2012, 02:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Pulse 2 turned off half way through the film was just a complete mess, felt like they didn't know what they wanted to do with the film or where is was going, didn't make much sense, badly acted and terrible storyline, and made even worse the fake background etc stuck out like a sore, not sure if I want to bother with 3 which is a shame because first one was a pretty decent film,
Old 10th December 2012, 03:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Exclamation Possible Spoilers!

The Corpse Grinders (1971) Cheap 70's horror (?) which sees a pet food manufacturer turn out an expensive new cat food 'Lotus'. Made from the corpses of the dead that are robbed from the cemetary or those of murdered bums. But the taste of human flesh send the moggies into a frenzy! If one word was to decribe this movie it would have to be Crap!........or Cat Crap!
Old 10th December 2012, 04:28 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
The Corpse Grinders (1971) Cheap 70's horror (?) which sees a pet food manufacturer turn out an expensive new cat food 'Lotus'. Made from the corpses of the dead that are robbed from the cemetary or those of murdered bums. But the taste of human flesh send the moggies into a frenzy! If one word was to decribe this movie it would have to be Crap!........or Cat Crap!
This was on a Demons comp Kyle ran earlier this year. Didn't get it until I watched Brad Jones review of it the Saterday before the comp finished.
It seem's stupid in a grindhouse style, meaning once you've seen it you wish you hadn't!
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 10th December 2012, 04:34 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I really enjoyed The Corpse Grinders.
Old 10th December 2012, 04:47 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I have to admit the cat attacks made me laugh! But I was waiting for the end of the movie!
Old 10th December 2012, 04:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
From the description you gave I'm reminded of another movie from
the seventies called I drink your blood.
Old 10th December 2012, 05:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Shame you didn't like. I have quite good (but possibly false) memories of it.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 10th December 2012, 06:47 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Snow White And The Huntsman - 2012 UK/US d: Rupert Sanders

A pretty poor fantasy effort frustratingly made all the worse for having some good elements.

It looks pretty thanks to some fine locations and sets and decent camerawork. Some of the support cast are OK too.

But then...

...Kristen Stewart and Chris Hemsworth (especially Hemsworth and his pointless and nation wandering accent; the man has even fewer expressions than Stewart) are just dreadful actors and asking them to carry a film of this size is preposterous. Had everything else about the film been perfect their presence would still have scuppered it. But everything else isn't perfect. The pacing is all over the place, ponderous then rushed and all points in between. Also so much of it is derivative of things you have seen before (mostly things directed by Peter Jackson...), there is nothing to make you sit up and take notice.

It's not utterly dreadful, it remains watchable and is a good couple of rungs above that other fairy tale adaptation, the risible Red Riding Hood, but it's still a poor film scarcely worth the time.

And I am amongst those who found the way the dwarfs were done rather tasteless and uncomfortable.

Like this? Share it using the links below!