Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179516Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2012, 09:39 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Yeah, that is a daft move, surely that could've waited until next year, same thing with distancing themselves from the Labs, I'm not sure what's going on with that company anymore
victims of their own success!
Old 20th December 2012, 09:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
victims of their own success!
Yeah, that sounds about right! And the majority of that success has come from right here I would imagine
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th December 2012, 10:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
No that would be the postmans head exploding, Rik's down to his 8th Pat!
They don't fire their employees, they send them to Rik....
Rik and Hawkmonger like this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 20th December 2012, 06:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

December 19th.

Plot of Fear (1976)

Not a conventional giallo by any stretch of the imagination. I freely admit to being totally lost by its events during the first forty minutes, continually referring to the Raro dvd sleeve to try and fathom what i was watching, then saying to myself "Well that hasn't happened yet" Fortunately it did work itself out in flashbacks as told by Corinne Clery to the police inspector so i was happy enough but it was a frustrating watch.

Plot of Fear as i mentioned isn't a conventional giallo, there's none of the excesses which are prevalent in the finest examples of the genre, the sex and violence is kept to a minimum, however there is a cartoon featured in the film which borders on the perverse.

The highlight of the film to me was the decent sized role given to Eli Wallach who's always a joy to watch.

I wasn't too impressed by Raro's presentation of the film. Neither the Italian nor English dub seemed to fit the action, the characters were speaking English, but all had daft dubs and the subtitles barely matched anything at all. After about fifteen minutes i eventually went with the English dub track as it seemed less intrusive than the Italian one which often continued after the players lips had stopped moving.

A second watch may prove more fruitful but on the whole i felt Plot of Fear was a bit of a letdown.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plotoffear1976.jpg (12.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 20th December 2012, 07:32 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
December 14th.

Die Monster Die (1965)

How the hell i've never seen or owned this gothic classic before is beyond me.

Produced in England by AIP as a vehicle for the great Boris Karloff. Very loosely based on Lovecraft's story The Colour Out of Space. Set typically in Arkham County, the story involves an American (Nick Adams) searching for his bride to be who is holed up in Karloff's gothic mansion. Adams soon discovers something from outer space is mutating the locals and fear runs deep in the village.
This was one of the very first horror films I ever saw on the telly as a kid and it frightened the shit out of me! I have the R1 disc and I still love the film. Looking forward to your Gothic review on this one, Dem.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 20th December 2012, 08:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
December 19th.

Plot of Fear (1976)

Not a conventional giallo by any stretch of the imagination. I freely admit to being totally lost by its events during the first forty minutes, continually referring to the Raro dvd sleeve to try and fathom what i was watching, then saying to myself "Well that hasn't happened yet" Fortunately it did work itself out in flashbacks as told by Corinne Clery to the police inspector so i was happy enough but it was a frustrating watch.

Plot of Fear as i mentioned isn't a conventional giallo, there's none of the excesses which are prevalent in the finest examples of the genre, the sex and violence is kept to a minimum, however there is a cartoon featured in the film which borders on the perverse.

The highlight of the film to me was the decent sized role given to Eli Wallach who's always a joy to watch.

I wasn't too impressed by Raro's presentation of the film. Neither the Italian nor English dub seemed to fit the action, the characters were speaking English, but all had daft dubs and the subtitles barely matched anything at all. After about fifteen minutes i eventually went with the English dub track as it seemed less intrusive than the Italian one which often continued after the players lips had stopped moving.

A second watch may prove more fruitful but on the whole i felt Plot of Fear was a bit of a letdown.
Personally I like it...
Have you ever seen Black Belly of the Tarantula (1971) Dem?

Both are Paolo Cavara gialli where the main character is a policeman.
Old 20th December 2012, 09:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Personally I like it...
Have you ever seen Black Belly of the Tarantula (1971) Dem?

Both are Paolo Cavara gialli where the main character is a policeman.
I didn't dislike it, and hope it didn't come across that way.

Black Belly of a Tarantula from Blue Underground was one of the first gialli i bought. To me its better all day long. For a start it has a great female cast - Bouchet, Auger and Bach, and Giannini is perfectly cast as the detective. Black Belly is more of a traditional giallo than Plot of Fear i felt and is a showcase for all that makes gialli essential viewing.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 20th December 2012, 10:14 PM
Cult Master

images (2).jpg

Four friends set off on an epic journey to see their heros KISS live. Needles to say its nots a smooth ride.

Always gives me a good laugh
VicDakin, Rik, Gojirosan and 1 others like this.
Old 20th December 2012, 10:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 94201

Four friends set off on an epic journey to see their heros KISS live. Needles to say its nots a smooth ride.

Always gives me a good laugh
Unsurprisingly i also like it. One of the few films i've bought twice. After my first viewing i managed to drop it taking it out of the dvd player, somehow because i tried to catch it as well i managed to flick it against the corner of a wall and it cracked.

Thats what happens with being a 5-a side goalkeeper. You automatically think you can catch everything. I must admit i do have very good reflexes and was a bit stunned i failed to catch said disc.
Rik and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 20th December 2012, 10:41 PM
Cult Addict

I've been up all night wrapping, and i've only got 2 hours of College tommorrow. I can watch a film a guess, people, reccomend me something!

Like this? Share it using the links below!