Like Tree179515Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st December 2012, 12:31 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
THE DEVIL'S CHAIR - From the director of 'Broken'. I veered between liking it and finding it really irritating. A man at the centre of a killing in an abandoned mental hospital is released from a forensic unit by a psychologist who wants to take him back to the scene of the crime. Here, we find that whoever sits in 'The Devil's Chair' slips into another dimension where a fly-blown reaper demon chases and murders them. OK, I liked the demonic stuff, but, beyond the first ten minutes, the build up was protracted and dull. The central character's narration I found annoying, apart from the bit where he seemed to flip out and launch into a frenzied diatribe against horror fans! That was good, as was the descent into violent sadism at the end, which followed a bunch of ridiculous 'or are they...' type 'twists' and reality breakdowns. Some plus points, so worth a watch for the curious, I guess. It's confusing, but that doesn't make it 'Videodrome'.

I quite like Adam Mason's films, he seems to attempt something a little different to the norm. I thought Broken
was excellent. After its gruesome and gory opening it really settled down into a completely different film.

The Devil's Chair is as you say flawed in places but also attempts to take us out of our horror comfort zone.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Fassbender was the bad of a bad bunch, for sure. He was operating on another level to the rest of the cast. But he was still a bit "ROBOT MORE HUMAN THAN HUMANS!!! OMGZors!!". It was a performance from the Big Book Of SciFi Tropes.

I had no expectations. I kind of hoped Ridley Scott would find the form he hasn't shown since 1992, but that was about it.

I didn't like it because it was boring, overlong, the plot was badly developed and stretched very thin, the acting was mostly rubbish, the idea was utterly stupid, it was hollow and empty...it was just a very bad film. I felt like I wasted a lot of time sitting through it.

Other than a few pretty looking scenes it had no redeeming qualities at all.
I felt almost the exact opposite. I found it fascinating, gripping, exciting, very well written and planned out in connection to the first movie, sure some of the acting was ordinary, but some of the original films acting wasn't great either, as were some of the character decision. I found the idea great, and over all, a fantastic return to the franchise after *shudder* Alien Ressurection

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 21st December 2012, 12:38 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
I felt almost the exact opposite. I found it fascinating, gripping, exciting, very well written and planned out in connection to the first movie, sure some of the acting was ordinary, but some of the original films acting wasn't great either, as were some of the character decision. I found the idea great, and over all, a fantastic return to the franchise after *shudder* Alien Ressurection
I genuinely prefer Alien Resurrection and AvP to Prometheus.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I genuinely prefer Alien Resurrection and AvP to Prometheus.
I prefer it to AVP definantly, nothing can worse than that pile of crap, but I thought Prometheus was fantastic!

But I always get in disputes over sequels, like arguing how good Terminator Salvation is, arguing against people who say Back to the Future 2 is the best, people who bag the 4th and 5th NOES, but love the 2nd...

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 21st December 2012, 12:48 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
I prefer it to AVP definantly, nothing can worse than that pile of crap, but I thought Prometheus was fantastic!

But I always get in disputes over sequels, like arguing how good Terminator Salvation is, arguing against people who say Back to the Future 2 is the best, people who bag the 4th and 5th NOES, but love the 2nd...

I think AvP is the best of the three I mentioned! It's a good fun film, and I was expecting to hate it. I've seen it about 3 times now. I will probably never watch Resurrection or Prometheus again.

Anyway...

I have never heard of this Adam Mason cat before. I am intrigued. What flicks of his should I check out? Dem? Frankie?
Old 21st December 2012, 12:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:

I think AvP is the best of the three I mentioned! It's a good fun film, and I was expecting to hate it. I've seen it about 3 times now. I will probably never watch Resurrection or Prometheus again.

Anyway...

I have never heard of this Adam Mason cat before. I am intrigued. What flicks of his should I check out? Dem? Frankie?
Broken or The Devil's Chair can both be picked up pretty cheap from Marketplace sellers.

Dust is also pretty good, I haven't seen Blood River yet but i would avoid The Thirteenth Sign as Mason populates it with wierd colours everywhere.

Now i come to look all his films are cheap from Amazon sellers so you won't waste too much should you hate them.
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 21st December 2012, 01:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Cheers, squire.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 21st December 2012, 01:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:

Anyway...

I'd definitely vouch for 'Broken'. It's fairly gruelling and mean-spirited and feels like quite a black-hearted experience (which in my book is usually of interest).

As for 'The Devil's Chair', well, there are elements of interesting weirdness sandwiched between more tedious and / or irritating aspects. But it's worth a go, I almost liked it.

I haven't seen any of his other flicks, but I think he did one called 'Pig' which sounds like it might be quite full-on. Defer to Dem regards the rest, which I'm tempted to get hold of.
Old 21st December 2012, 01:09 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:

Gojirosan and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 21st December 2012, 01:12 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I shall put Broken on the wish list for the New Year. Cheers gents.

Like this? Share it using the links below!