Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st December 2012, 09:39 AM
Cult Acolyte

Super Happy I hate you Butler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I should be honest i've never seen any of the Hammer Buses films. My dislike stems purely from the tv series.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I hate you Butler.jpg (27.8 KB, 55 views)
Old 31st December 2012, 11:39 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
EVIL DEAD II. I caught this on telly last night and was pleasantly surprised that my last evaluation of it hasn't changed...it's bloody awful, not unlike the World Gurning Championships with blood. Still, at least its not the third one...
While I prefer the first film and I'm not one of those who think Bruce Campbell is the second coming or something, I don't think it's a bad horror movie. Plus I adore that finally shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Still, at least its not the third one...
I've never been a fan of the third, but looking back now, at least it was different, esp after how the second film was so similar to the original film in many ways.
Old 31st December 2012, 12:26 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I should be honest i've never seen any of the Hammer Buses films. My dislike stems purely from the tv series.
I haven't seen a single episode of On the Buses, nor any of the films and, similarly, I don't think I've seen a single Carry On film all the way through.
Old 31st December 2012, 12:37 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

These are the films I watched last week:

Old 31st December 2012, 01:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Children of Insidious...

So, I've just done a double bill of two 2012 Hollywood horror films, The Possession (d: Ole Bornedal) and Sinister (d: Scott Derrickson). Both seem to be rivulets following the gush of big box office hit Insidious, yet oddly, they both are superior, though do not thus leap to the conclusion that these are great films just because they are better than Insidious.

The Possession takes on the hoary cliché of a child possessed by an evil spirit - here a dybbuk rather than Satan - and doesn't really bring much new to that well trodden path. The story unfolds predictably and is never surprising, but as familiar stories go, this one is told fairly well. It starts off rather dull, to be honest, but does improve. There is an arty experimentalism to shots and editing that keep the eyes interested and there are some very fine performances from the likeable cast, and a rather clumsy but well-intentioned effort to parallel childhood demonic possession with the effects of divorce. In all, this is an OK entertainment. It's not going to ever be seen as a classic or garner rave reviews, but it shuffles along quite pleasingly.

Much darker and yet paradoxically more commercial is Sinister. There are more ideas here and a better script all around. Lead performances are good, but the visual style is pretty flat and "comfortable". Sound and music are exceptional, however, and almost make up for the unadventurous look of the piece. It has a good ending, yet one can practically smell the desire to turn the antagonist into a Freddie-esque franchise, and this sullies the tone. Again, it is not bad, not a great film, and more likely to be remembered fondly than The Possession. Fans of Manhunter will smirk to themselves in recognition at several points; Sinister is not afraid to recycle old ideas either.

Neither film is a gem. Both are fine. But they are interesting in the sense of seeing the current trends of Hollywood horror, a trend aside from the found footage thing. I think we may say, and considering other recent films, that there is truly a "Post-Insidious" era upon us.
I gotta disagree with you on Insidious, I loved it!! Also loved Sinister. I didnt think it was very Hollywood compared to recent remakes. These low budget flicks are so much better then recent big hollywood horror like Scream 4 etc

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 31st December 2012, 01:50 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I've probably said this before but the best bit about Sinister was near the end when the main character makes the sort of logical decision normally absent from these sort of films to the point where it seems there's no way for the film to have a resolution. I loved that as it was a real antidote to the usual "just get out of the house then!" issues that usually plagued these films.

I really enjoyed Sinister but thought The Possession was very by-the-numbers. Odd that the editing was seen as experimental when I thought it was just unintentionally poor and misjudged.
Old 31st December 2012, 02:04 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Odd that the editing was seen as experimental when I thought it was just unintentionally poor and misjudged.
Oh it didn't necessarily work, but it was at least different. And it was very "by the numbers". But the acting kept it (just) aloft and it wasn't a total disaster. I will have forgotten seeing it within a month, though, as with most of its ilk.

Still preferred it to Insidious however.
Old 31st December 2012, 03:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
Scrooged.........2 of my favourite Christmas films

All I want for Christmas...nice christmas tail of 2 children trying to get their parents back together for Christmas.....stars Thora Birch

Total Recall "2012" .....must admit I really enjoyed this film which I didn't think I would as I don't like remakes. But this remake seems like a total new film instead of scene for scene reproduction. I am also gaining lots of respect for Colin Farrell who I think is a great actor

A very Harold and Kumar Christmas.....not as good as the previous films but still fun. I think you either like these films or you hate them, I just think they're great

Vamp......Nice little film which I now recall seeing as a child but never knew what it was untill now I only remembered the bow and arrow scene.

There is one film left from my childhood that I still do not know what it is. All I can remember is:

A guy and girl flee to a house form zombies or vamires I think. When inside a hand squeezes through the door and they chop off the hand or fingers to get a ring.

If anyone has any ideas which film this is from please let me know
Old 31st December 2012, 03:48 PM
Cult Addict

A night in the woods.

Decent but a little overrated by some, I liked how it could all be a result of the characters various paranoias and nuroses and that no-one is quite how they first appear but it was all a little TOO blair witch for me and not quite scary enough. Found it for £1.65 in scope and it was well worth it at that price though.

The lost coast tapes.

Some people will probably disagree but I preferred this found footage film to Night in the woods. Perhaps its because I have a soft spot for bigfoot movies. The people who made it look to be big fortean times fans, as a crew of film makers head into the middle of nowhere to make a film about an alleged bigfoot capture only to find there might be more at play, incluiding either aliens or demons! A lot of daft fun and is a well crafted entry into the bigfoot sub genre!
Old 31st December 2012, 06:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Jaws 4: The Revenge (1987)

The second best film in the official quadrilogy imo.

Like this? Share it using the links below!