Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th January 2013, 08:54 PM
Cult Addict

DEATH WATCH.

In Bertrand Taverniers sci-fi thriller, Harvey keitel's character Roddy has cameras implanted in his eyes so he can follow Teminally ill Ketherine (romy schneider) for reality tv programme Death Watch.

Tavenier locates the action at first in the streets of 70's glasgow, which manages to evoke a run down urban hell (though in the interests of fairness, the last time I visited it It looked lovely) of ruined buildings and urban decay amongst litter strewn tenement buildings. The future in this film is pretty bleak, teachers are being replaced by computers, unemployment is rife and all popular culture is created by computer in order to appeal to the broadest possible audience. Shops are large warehouse like complexes piled high with cheap packaged goods and the audience stare blankly at televisions that broadcast intrusive sould destryoying reality TV. Death watch is made for this world.

So not really that far removed from today really.

Death watch is a wonderful and very humanitarian piece of film making and deserves to be watched, be warned though its not the happiest film ever made either and left me feeling blue.

Also HARRY DEAN STANTON is in it as the crooked tv executive and he's great. Look out for his office with some amazing posters for cult movies like masque of the red death and a huge mickey mouse phone!
Old 7th January 2013, 09:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
DEATH WATCH.

In Bertrand Taverniers sci-fi thriller, Harvey keitel's character Roddy has cameras implanted in his eyes so he can follow Teminally ill Ketherine (romy schneider) for reality tv programme Death Watch.

Tavenier locates the action at first in the streets of 70's glasgow, which manages to evoke a run down urban hell (though in the interests of fairness, the last time I visited it It looked lovely) of ruined buildings and urban decay amongst litter strewn tenement buildings. The future in this film is pretty bleak, teachers are being replaced by computers, unemployment is rife and all popular culture is created by computer in order to appeal to the broadest possible audience. Shops are large warehouse like complexes piled high with cheap packaged goods and the audience stare blankly at televisions that broadcast intrusive sould destryoying reality TV. Death watch is made for this world.

So not really that far removed from today really.

Death watch is a wonderful and very humanitarian piece of film making and deserves to be watched, be warned though its not the happiest film ever made either and left me feeling blue.

Also HARRY DEAN STANTON is in it as the crooked tv executive and he's great. Look out for his office with some amazing posters for cult movies like masque of the red death and a huge mickey mouse phone!
Thanks for reminding me of this one, I really need to check it out.
Old 7th January 2013, 10:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Santa Claus (1898)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post309946
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 8th January 2013, 05:59 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched Argento's 'Deep Red' this afternoon. Film was very good, but I kept having audio issues - it would switch from the English track, to the Italian with subtitles. It would then switch back when the next chapter started. Happened about six times. Very distracting. Is this a known issue with the Arrow BD?
Lincoln.
Old 8th January 2013, 06:15 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
Watched Argento's 'Deep Red' this afternoon. Film was very good, but I kept having audio issues - it would switch from the English track, to the Italian with subtitles. It would then switch back when the next chapter started. Happened about six times. Very distracting. Is this a known issue with the Arrow BD?
Lincoln.
The longer cut of the film switches to Italian audio at some points because the English audio was always missing/ never recorded.
Old 8th January 2013, 06:50 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Many thanks for clearing that up, Paul.
Old 8th January 2013, 07:21 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Thanks for reminding me of this one, I really need to check it out.
The uk blu-ray release looks fantastic.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 8th January 2013, 07:23 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Catfish - seen it before but felt like a rewatch. Still an interesting documentary although the questionable authority of the filmmakers is a problem. Some scenes are clearly set-up and not captured on the spot as suggested, which isn't to say they didn't happen but does make it harder to fully believe what you're seeing.

Prom Night
- the original. Fairly dull, plodding slasher bereft of scares or decent setpieces and with a predictable ending. I genuinely believe if this film didn't star Jamie Lee Curtis it'd have no reputation at all
Old 8th January 2013, 07:29 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post

Prom Night
- the original. Fairly dull, plodding slasher bereft of scares or decent setpieces and with a predictable ending. I genuinely believe if this film didn't star Jamie Lee Curtis it'd have no reputation at all
No love for the disco scene at least?! I enjoy prom night but it's definately aged badly.
Old 8th January 2013, 08:35 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I had a look at the Microsoft Access database I keep to record everything I watch and last year I watched 1076 films (including duplicates), watching 76 of them with commentaries.

Including commentaries, I have seen 21 so far this year – three a day.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!