All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th January 2013, 10:08 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Oh, bugger! I really like Moore's films. Most of them anyway, I can just about tolerate Moonraker, Octopussy and A view to A kill, so yes, a couple of the 80's films are dire.
Old 16th January 2013, 10:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Oh, bugger! I really like Moore's films. Most of them anyway, I can just about tolerate Moonraker, Octopussy and A view to A kill, so yes, a couple of the 80's films are dire.
None of those are as deadly dull as Thunderball though.
Old 16th January 2013, 10:18 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
None of those are as deadly dull as Thunderball though.
Really? Not even Moonraker or Octopussy?
Old 16th January 2013, 10:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Really? Not even Moonraker or Octopussy?
Never in a million years is Moonraker dull. Flawed? possibly, but not dull.

Over time i've grown to enjoy Octopussy. I never used to like it much, but these last ten years.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 16th January 2013, 10:25 PM
Cult Addict

macabre..jpg

Another birthday prezzie that also came with a lovely studio canal blu-ray of mulholland drive (with booklet and everything) decided however to give this a whirl and was not at all dissapointed. A group of friends give a strange woman a lift home after she claims to have been robbed. Invited to stay for dinner the friends kindness is repaid by total horror as the twisted family set about killing them all off in a variety of graphic ways. This film packs a bloody intensity i've not seen in a film since INSIDE and is definately not for the squemish with imaplements, decapatations and chainsaw murders abound. The film cracks along at a breakneck pace and makes it abundantly clear everyone is fair game, so no characters where your fairly certain they will get through ok. I've not seen many horror movies from indonesia (in fact the only one that springs to mind was an islamic exorcist knock off from the advantage eastern horror collection) but this is a genuinely bloody and rewarding slice of survival horror!
Old 16th January 2013, 11:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Merry Frolics of Satan (1905)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post313311

Hugo (2011)
Although not quite historically correct I quite liked it. Involving an elderly George Méliès the movie includes a nice montage of his films at the end.
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 17th January 2013, 12:03 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

La notte dei diavoli/The Night Of The Devils - 1972 Italy/Spain d: Giorgio Ferroni

Second Italian film version of Aleksey Tolstoy's "The Family of the Vourdalak" and I think this one surpasses Mario Bava's take for sheer tension and nightmarish effect. This is a very well made film and ought surely be regarded right up at the top of the pantheon of great Italian horror films.

This is deliciously atmospheric, sexual tension simmering beneath the family's fear, and the fear and anger are palpable. Fine acting and wonderful camerawork with a superb score. By the end, this leaves behind the Italian horror blueprint and veers off towards the hallucinatory "otherness" of the likes of Lemora or Let's Scare Jessica To Death.

All hail Raro for releasing this forgotten gem. Their Blu-Ray is exceptional and, to be frank, "exceptional" is the least that this brilliant film deserves.

Last edited by Gojirosan; 17th January 2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 17th January 2013, 08:24 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Kill Bill Vol 1 - I love this film, sue me. Sure it's self-indulgent but I don't care. QT shows he can direct action along with the best of them and the film boasts some spectacular set-pieces. As much as I love Death Proof I do think that Kill Bill is actually his best love letter to grindhouse and exploitation, wearing on its sleeve its influences to samurai films, kung fu, spaghetti westerns and even gialli.

Kill Bill Vol 2 - downplays the frantic action of the first volume in favour of a more relaxed and dialogue-heavy approach but is no more worse off for it. The Elle Driver fight is suitably manic and I love how anti-climactic the final confrontation with Bill is. The stuff with the Bride and her daughter is genuinely touching too in a way QT frequently isn't. In the past I've said it seems hard to care about his characters except in Jackie Brown, a statement I'm retracting upon revisiting Kill Bill. My only gripe with the second volume is that it seems a bit uneven in tone at times due to the soundtrack and really does come off like a mishmash of homages struggling to create a consistent feel. You could probably argue most of his films are like this but this is the only time I felt it jarring.

Inglourious Basterds - there's a real level of wit in this film which I hadn't fully picked up on before. It's one of those films without a main character and the Basterds of the title are oddly side-lined at times in favour of the Jewish revenge story. I still love it and think it's an interesting take on a WWII film although I don't think it's as much a 'men on a mission' film as QT clearly does. The opening scene is one of my all-time favourite scenes directed by Tarantino and the scene in the basement bar stretches tension to breaking point at time. Superb stuff.
Old 17th January 2013, 08:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I like both Kill Bill films, part 1 more than 2. How did you get on at the Tarantino quiz?
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 17th January 2013, 08:38 AM
Cult Acolyte

Count Dracula (1977 BBC adaptation)

The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms (1953)

The Asphyx (1972)

The Blood Beast Terror (1967)

Like this? Share it using the links below!