Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179475Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2013, 08:30 AM
Cult Addict

Can't argue that it's an awesome film. And someone should give Urban an Oscar because he was superb.
Old 20th January 2013, 08:32 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Absentia - 2011 USA d: Mike Flanagan

Damn near brilliant monster mystery reminiscent of the works of Ramsey Campbell. Genuinely unsettling in atmosphere and with a wonderful cast. It's open to interpretation (unreliable narrator?) or reads as a straight horror tale; the script is very fine indeed (the occasional clunky dialogue aside). Shot on a DSLR, it has that "Home Movie Realism" look, but here it suits the piece rather than distracts, and this is accompanied by a wonderful enveloping soundtrack of drones and chirps and swooshes and a superb minimalist score which is simply perfect for the film.

The tone and subject were right up my alley (tunnel?) and I was astounded by how good I found this to be. I recommend this a lot. One of the best horror films of the last few years.
Have just ordered the BluRay from Amazon.de - have been waiting for a local release for ages, got sick of waiting.
Gojirosan, are you a Campbell fan?
SShaw likes this.
Old 20th January 2013, 09:13 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

So last night I watched one of those films that you feel you should have watched years ago and embarrassed because you've never seen it. I watched Casablanca and it was great! So many quotable lines, although it was surprising that the most quoted line is a misquote and no-one says 'play it again Sam' in this movie
Ingrid Bergman is gorgeous as well, you could just spend the entire time watching the film just looking at her face!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th January 2013, 10:19 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
So last night I watched one of those films that you feel you should have watched years ago and embarrassed because you've never seen it. I watched Casablanca and it was great! So many quotable lines, although it was surprising that the most quoted line is a misquote and no-one says 'play it again Sam' in this movie
Ingrid Bergman is gorgeous as well, you could just spend the entire time watching the film just looking at her face!
Better late than never
Old 20th January 2013, 10:22 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
Have just ordered the BluRay from Amazon.de - have been waiting for a local release for ages, got sick of waiting.
Gojirosan, are you a Campbell fan?
I am, not read any of his more recent stuff but I know his work up to "House On Nazareth Hill" well.

I used to know him. He's a local radio film critic, and I did film writing for some local magazines for a few years at the start of the 90s. Sadly lost touch with him and his family.
Linbro likes this.
Old 20th January 2013, 10:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I've never seen it either and I'm not ashamed to admit it, same goes for Citizen Kane, Gone With The Wind and many other "classics", not my cup of tea regardless of how everyone says they're brilliant films and should be seen at least once
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th January 2013, 10:30 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Do yourself a favour and don't see the original, I thought dredd did quite well, at least in the uk
Oh dont worry I wont be watching it! The things I heard and even the trailer made me think its going to be a pile of you know what!

Shame EIV messed up the encode, there are quite a few very noisy scenes that distract even in 3D. The US disc is meant to be very good PQ in 3D. I did not pay for UK disc as it was from a voucher but when the Euro or US release drops in price I will double dip.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 20th January 2013, 10:31 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I've never seen it either and I'm not ashamed to admit it, same goes for Citizen Kane, Gone With The Wind and many other "classics", not my cup of tea regardless of how everyone says they're brilliant films and should be seen at least once
It's hard to be angry with you when you have Darren McGavin there to make me go all smiley!
Rik likes this.
Old 20th January 2013, 10:34 AM
Cult Veteran

Gone with the Wind is awesome I've never seen Citizen Kane though, it'd be hard to view that these days because all the film techniques it pioneered are all common place now so it's not going to have the impact that it once had.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th January 2013, 10:36 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
To be honest i'm usually quite skeptical about alleged 'classics'. I loved cassablanca, citizen kane, it's a wonderful life ect.. But honestly I thought gone with the wind to be an overlong piece of s***, tedious and overwrought.

Perhaps my own biggest heresy was thinking the soderbergh/clooney remake of solaris to be a much better film than the origional. Though I found out recently mark kermode agrees with me on that one.

Like this? Share it using the links below!