Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2013, 10:38 AM
Cult Addict

And of cause, Kermode himself is perfectly respectable. Can't stand the guy tbh.
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I can add It's A Wonderful Life to that list too
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Cult Addict

The word classic is thrown around far too easy. To me a 'classic' should endlessly rewatchable. That I actually think applies to Casablanca. Gone With The Wind? No. Watch it once, job done. Don't know about Kane. Tried it but didn't last long, it bored me.

Last edited by J Harker; 20th January 2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 20th January 2013, 10:43 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
And of cause, Kermode himself is perfectly respectable. Can't stand the guy tbh.
I used to have the same opinion but I read his 2 books and went to a lecture he did and I changed my mind he's actually a very funny guy with some interesting opinions

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th January 2013, 10:43 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I am, not read any of his more recent stuff but I know his work up to "House On Nazareth Hill" well.

I used to know him. He's a local radio film critic, and I did film writing for some local magazines for a few years at the start of the 90s. Sadly lost touch with him and his family.
He's my favourite author, by a long way. I re-read all his short story collections, in order, last year. He's the sort of writer that pulls you into his 'world', and it can be very hard to move onto something else. After I finished my re-read, I kept wanting to return to his work - doesn't help the to-be-read pile!
Crying shame that more of his stories haven't been adapted for the screen - an anthology type film would be ideal.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 20th January 2013, 11:04 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linbro View Post
He's my favourite author, by a long way. I re-read all his short story collections, in order, last year. He's the sort of writer that pulls you into his 'world', and it can be very hard to move onto something else. After I finished my re-read, I kept wanting to return to his work - doesn't help the to-be-read pile!
Crying shame that more of his stories haven't been adapted for the screen - an anthology type film would be ideal.
I agree on all points!
Linbro likes this.
Old 20th January 2013, 11:17 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching piranha 3d for 2.50 thought I would give it a go, and need more 3d movies. Makes me feel old that Elizabeth Shue is a teenagers mother, As I remember her from films of MY teenage years.
Old 20th January 2013, 11:29 AM
Cult Veteran

She's 49 now! it was over 20 years ago when she was in Back to the Future 2 & 3... thinking like that makes ME feel old I saw them both in the cinema when they came out, tickets cost £1.00 for the Saturday matinee and they still had an ice cream break in the middle

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 20th January 2013, 11:38 AM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Haven't been on much recently but I did watch a bunch of films yesterday, some brand new films and some old favourites but I will mention the new ones:

Beasts Of The Southern Wild - While occasionally displaying brief moments of interesting direction and charm, I personally found this to be an often irritating 'manufactured' and intentionally quirky movie with the sole purpose of making people go 'awwww' come Oscar time. Easily the most egregiously overrated film of the past few years for me. Avoid.

Berberian Sound Studio - Another awards darling I expected little from, especially as many of my peers loathed it. I personally thoroughly enjoyed it, a taut mixture of Blow Out and my kind of wacky albeit unnerving surrealism with a great fish out of water performance from Toby Jones. See it if you are an open fan to horror cinema.

Dredd - Rewatching this on Blu my original opinion remains the same, arguably my current favourite comic book action movie; this was the 2000AD movie I wanted since childhood.
Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 20th January 2013, 11:38 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
She's 49 now! it was over 20 years ago when she was in Back to the Future 2 & 3... thinking like that makes ME feel old I saw them both in the cinema when they came out, tickets cost £1.00 for the Saturday matinee and they still had an ice cream break in the middle
How's this for feeling old....if they were to remake Back To The Future, they could do it in 2015, and he'd travel back to 1985. That thought depresses me.

Like this? Share it using the links below!