All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179616Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th January 2013, 05:15 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Saw The Last Stand this afternoon. After hearing of it's relative failure at the US box office, I wondered if The Austrian Oak had lost his touch. I needn't have worried. Arnie is back in business! The movie is funny, with some great one-liners and action. They wisely kept the action (fairly) realistic. No sequences on the wings of fighter jets like Bruce Willis! Highly recommended.
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 26th January 2013, 07:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Pans Labyrinth last night and i was left in awe of this fantastic film, i regret to say this was my very first viewing and it will not be my last.
Old 26th January 2013, 07:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Well I finished by Bond Bluray box set last night with the wretched A view to a kill. The only thing I like about this film is Duran Duran's theme tune.

Today I caught up on some new arrivals with Django. I bought the Blue Underground blu-ray when it was released a couple of years ago (if I recall correctly it was one of their first blu-ray releases) but unfortunately due it being locked to region A I never got round to watching it. The U.K. release from Argent has remedied the situation. A great film and easy to see why it has so many fans. Now if we could have the Great Silence on blu in the next 11 months it will truly be a great year.

Final film for tonight was The Business. First of all I have to say Nick Love's films are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I was at the U.K. (world?) premier when this played the Edinburgh International film festival in 2005 (before Hannah McGill became artistic director and destroyed the festival that Shane Daniels and Lizzie Franks had built, but that is probably a topic for a different rant) and owned it on DVD before my move to foreign shores resulted in a clear out my collection. I was 8 years old in 1980 began and 18 in 1990 so I guess I am a child of the 80's and so the business' rather excellent soundtrack is perhaps that of my formative teenage years. The film itself is not only great fun but the subtext, if you look for it, is also an interesting critique of the basic ideals of Thatcherism. I would recommend it, but those of you who didn't grow up or live through the 80's may not appreciate it in the same way.

Last edited by SShaw; 26th January 2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 26th January 2013, 07:55 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

EATING RAOUL - I loved this twisted black comedy. I'm a massive Mary Woronov fan, and really dig Paul Bartel for that matter, so I'm totally biased. That doesn't matter, it's a great film anyway - not the satirical take on contemporary (for 1982) mores it first appears to be, more a withering socio-political critique. Paul and Mary are a couple of self proclaimed and self-righteous squares who hate their swingin' Calif neighbourhood. They dream of opening their own quaint restaurant, but find that the only real way of raising cash is by offing the monied libertines they claim to despise. Enter locksmith / professional thief Raoul who has an eye for Mary and a morbid business interest of his own. What begins as an apparent fish out of water piss-take becomes much darker and more politically poignant as it rolls along. I could gush forever about the amazing and lovely Mary Woronov, but even if you don't swoon at the mention of ex-Warhol dominatrix groupies this is still a nicely skewed treat.
Old 26th January 2013, 08:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just watched suspiria for the first time and all I can see is why has it taking me so long to see it and wow what a fantastic film!
Old 26th January 2013, 08:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Just watched suspiria for the first time and all I can see is why has it taking me so long to see it and wow what a fantastic film!
Old 26th January 2013, 09:09 PM
Cult Master

Speaking of Suspiria whats the Blu Ray like
Old 26th January 2013, 09:15 PM
Cult Veteran

I like the blu of Suspiria, but a lot of people have problems with it, particularly with the over saturated colours, some of the whites are a bit pink, but until Criterion remaster it (I wish) we have to make do with what we get

I think it's out of print now anyway?

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th January 2013, 09:20 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I like the blu of Suspiria, but a lot of people have problems with it, particularly with the over saturated colours, some of the whites are a bit pink, but until Criterion remaster it (I wish) we have to make do with what we get

I think it's out of print now anyway?
12980660_500x500_1.jpg

Is this the only Blu Ray its €21 on play. Is it worth it or should i just stick with the dvd until a decent version comes out.
Old 26th January 2013, 09:24 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Went to see Les Miserables today, while it is well acted and directed i found it to be immensely boring and for the first hour kept checking my watch every five minutes. At one point i was seriously considering leaving the film to go an watch The Last Stand instead, but as i didn't pay for the tickets and it was a birthday present for my mum, i decided to stay. I just didn't like the film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!