Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 17th July 2008 11:07 AM

Nope I haven't seen that yet. But I did watch "Cannibal Apocalypse" last night. Quite a good film, John Saxon was brilliant as always, quite a good story, I was expecting it to be much more bloody and gory though (although there was blood through out there was nothing amazing - except Bukowski's death and the biker fight)

3.5/5

vincenzo 17th July 2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 10001)
Edge of Insanity (1989)Fact is even if all the killings were completely removed it wouldn't add up to even 30 seconds. So clearly a lot more was removed in 1989.

Yes it's an awful film. Perkins had really lost his way by this time (ever seen In The Deep Woods?).

I don't have a list of cuts so I can only assume the distributors removed far more than the BBFC required back then. Probably some of the sex/drug stuff went too. Been a while since I last saw the cut version and I hope it's a while until I see ANY version again.

Angel 17th July 2008 01:47 PM

Yes I saw In The Deep Woods, I can't remember if I made it to the end, it was so awful.

Yeah the cuts to Edge of Sanity (got the title right this time)- there's a lot of stuff the BBFC could have cut including the opening scene where a child watches a couple having sex and also some Crimes of Passion type sexual acts prior to the 2nd murder, which surprised me. There was also a blood on breasts shot. Quite gruesome as well, though the murder scenes themselves were tame.

vincenzo 17th July 2008 02:56 PM

For me Perkins finest moments were the original Psycho, Pretty Poison and Catch-22. I quite enjoyed Psycho 2 (apart from the abysmal ending) but thought the 3rd one was bilge.

Hard to believe now but he was almost in the film of West Side Story. His singing abilities were surprisingly impressive (in a Bobby Vee sort of way).

mark meakin 17th July 2008 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 10070)
For me Perkins finest moments were the original Psycho, Pretty Poison and Catch-22. I quite enjoyed Psycho 2 (apart from the abysmal ending) but thought the 3rd one was bilge.

Hard to believe now but he was almost in the film of West Side Story. His singing abilities were surprisingly impressive (in a Bobby Vee sort of way).

I liked Psycho 2 & 3 a great deal.

mark meakin 17th July 2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 10034)
Watched REVENGE tonight (1971 Joan Collins Kenneth Griffith) an excellent little Brit thriller.......anyone else seen it?

To be honest considering the cast I was disappointed with this one though it's certainly not bad.I prefer it to Sidney Hayer's Assault but the moody And Soon The Darkness is better than both.I've yet to pick it up but may go r1 for the commentary.

mark meakin 17th July 2008 03:32 PM

Sweeney The Definitive Collection will obviously be in most fans of UK cop shows collections.Surprisingly I've only ever seen a handful of episodes over the years including the Morcambe & Wise one.Nice extras including commentaries,the two films and episodes of Redcaps (never seen any of these)Special Branch (same here)Thick as Thieves (ditto) & The Strange Report (ditto again !)

mark meakin 17th July 2008 03:35 PM

I also got the ITV series The Adventurer for only ?9.00 delivered.Gene Barry did not make many friends on this show judging from the Barry Morse & Catherine Schell interviews.Sadly due to the way the episodes were originally shot they don't look very good at all compared to the nice looking restored Persuader episodes.

vincenzo 17th July 2008 03:38 PM

I have an ITC video of Strange Report somewhere. Awesome Roger Webb theme tune (as usual) and fine performance by Anthony Quayle. The lovely former Dr Who girl (and one time Mrs Michael Gough) Anneke Wills is one of Quayle's assistants.

Other than the John Barry theme The Adventurer didn't do much for me. I preferred The Baron.

Angel 17th July 2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 10072)
I liked Psycho 2 & 3 a great deal.

So did I. 2 especially was excellent. Wasn't keen on 3 when I first saw it but now I have taken to it. Love the theme tune that Perkins is also seen playing on the piano later in the film.