Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Rik 30th January 2013 10:00 PM

Dredd-After the 4th attempt, I managed to make it to the end and although not completely blown away, I did enjoy it, at least I managed to stay awake, unlike when I saw Judge Dredd at the cinema back in the day.So, there you go Hawk, no reason to kill me anymore ;)
I'll probably add it to my collection if I find it cheap

keirarts 30th January 2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 317789)
You're right, it's anime talk, you call your friends -kun, your same age peers -chan and sempai is someone of authority such as a teacher or elder :D

I thought chan meant cute, little ect,

keirarts 30th January 2013 11:11 PM

The LAST STAND.

This got a critical drubbing so I went in with low expectations....

AND REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY enjoyed my self immensly.

Its daft, arnies acting is as ropey as ever but its a gunuinely fun film with plenty of chuckles, a fair bit of violence and daft stunts and its very well photographed and the action scenes and gunplay are well handled.

It actually kind of stinks that this didn't get a better reception.

fuzzymctiger 30th January 2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 317857)
I thought it was a great film. Some might disagree, but It's also one of my favourite Tarantino soundtracks. The use of music from other westerns is inspired.

Trinity (Titoli) (Annibale E I Cantori Moderni) - YouTube

05. "His Name Was King" - Luis Bacalov DJANGO UNCHAINED SOUNDTRACK [HD] - YouTube

Another great song, not from a western, but The Last American Hero...

10 I Got a Name 'Django Unchained' Soundtrack - YouTube

If I remember correctly, during the raid scene, as they're riding down the hill, the Battle Royale theme starts playing.

monkeyscreams 30th January 2013 11:46 PM

Berberian Sound Studio (2012) Peter Strickland
The second time I've watched this, and I will watch it again. It is a great film about the genre I love so much. The idea behind this film is very original, and that, and the way it is executed, makes it good film. Toby Jones plays an unforgettable character. He will stick with you for a long time.
Strickland mentions Herz's The Cremator as one of the main influences for this film. To be honest, I don't really see this influence in Berberian Sound Studio. The Cremator is a masterpiece still after 40 years or so. But Berberian is a great film nonetheless.

monkeyscreams 31st January 2013 12:00 AM

American Mary (2012) Soska Sisters
American Mary proves that (real) horror films aren't dead yet. Liked it very much. Shot in 15 days with a limited budget, but much better than the stuff that is oozing from your screen nowadays.

Ranarchy 31st January 2013 07:28 AM

Another weird day....a lotta films I have my best friend hasn't seen, so it's more for her to see

The Last Unicorn: Beautiful, I'm still such a sucker for animation. I love it.

Hostel 1 and 2: Had a huge discussion about how ungodly terrible the third movie was afterwards

Army of Darkness: BECAUSE!

Hawkmonger 31st January 2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 317864)
Dredd-After the 4th attempt, I managed to make it to the end and although not completely blown away, I did enjoy it, at least I managed to stay awake, unlike when I saw Judge Dredd at the cinema back in the day.So, there you go Hawk, no reason to kill me anymore ;)
I'll probably add it to my collection if I find it cheap

......'whisper'Sniper. Stand down.'whipser'

:laugh:

Femina Ridens (AKA The Frightened/ Laughing Woman-Piero Schivazappa-1969): this one should take no introduction. A deeply unnerving, strange film with an amazing atmosphere and amongst the best cinematography i've seen from a 60's soft core film (though it's a stretch to call it even that, it's a bit of a genre bender). A must for any self enfused art house chump.

trebor8273 31st January 2013 01:51 PM

not a film but been watching some mash, like how you have a audio track without the god awful laugh track which really doesn't suit mash.

Beyond72 31st January 2013 03:04 PM

The Fan
(The Robert De Niro & Wesley Snipes film.) Meh.

Blow

Jackie Brown