Like Tree179604Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2013, 06:54 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Which reminds me,this month we're visiting the fragrant harbour (any Hong Kong film released between 1980 and 1997) over at:

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...-new-post.html

What are you on about? The fragrant harbour???

Are you Hawkmonger in disguise?
bdc and Rik like this.
Old 2nd February 2013, 07:04 PM
Cult Addict

amicusdoc.jpg

Just finished. (mentioned this in another thread)

Pretty much the last word on Amicus. Its a huge documentary with loads of interviews from a whole bunch of people involved with the studio. Stupidly expensive at the moment, especially considering the thing comes on 2 dvd-r's but shop around and pick it up if you like amicus, its an interesting watch with a nice tribute to peter cushing.
bdc and Dave Boy like this.
Old 2nd February 2013, 07:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Having pretty much slept through Thursday and most of Friday and most of January it seems I decided to get in bed fairly early last night to watch a film.

Decided it was time to tackle some of the Mill Creek box sets.

Single Room Furnished (1968) Final film of Jayne Mansfield which appears to be heavily pushed but as I wasn't around when it's first out this is more of an assumption. Really quite enjoyable although it did strike me as being a bit "overacted" by most of the cast, not as if they were bad actors more as if they were performing on stage rather than film. I was impressed with the picture quality from this dvd, not sure if my blu-ray upscaling played a part. I really found it entertaining, a cross between a propaganda film and a kitchen sink drama. I'm really quite impressed with the Mill Creek collections, I can't wait to watch more of them.

Hoping for a bit more excitement tonight so plan to watch the made for tv movie Killdozer (1974) which is basically what it sounds like, a strange spirit takes over a bulldozer turning it into a killing machine.
Old 2nd February 2013, 07:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
With the first two films, there was a real sense of dread. People who knew or had suspicions about Damien being the Anti Christ were terrified. That seemed to be missing from The Final Conflict. It all starts off well enough, with the death of the Ambassador but then it just can't keep up the uneasiness that the previous films had. The monks that were sent to kill Damien, knowing full well just who and what they were dealing with, decide then to confront him on a one to one basis ! Damien is killed with just one dagger.It was explained in the first film that it needed to be the full set, in the shape of a cross to kill him.
A disappointing end to the films, but it does have it's moments, and Jerry Goldsmith's score is once again a joy to listen to.
Love that score especially 'The Hunt' section!
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 2nd February 2013, 07:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

This evenings film was Dredd. I missed this at the cinema but was looking forward to seeing it given the largely positive reception here and elsewhere. I found it to be pretty solid and entertaining and while it is one of the better action films of the last couple of years I'm not sure its as deserving of some of the superlatives it has garnered - unless your yardstick is the 80's Stallone Dredd adaptation.
nekromantik likes this.
Old 2nd February 2013, 08:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Haunted Spooks (1920)
The Golem: How He came Into the World (1920)
Anna Boleyn (1920)

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post318575
bdc, Demoncrat and sawyer6 like this.
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Feed a gross out film that was enjoyable and entertaning but could have been slighter better made,
Old 2nd February 2013, 11:50 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
This evenings film was Dredd. I missed this at the cinema but was looking forward to seeing it given the largely positive reception here and elsewhere. I found it to be pretty solid and entertaining and while it is one of the better action films of the last couple of years I'm not sure its as deserving of some of the superlatives it has garnered - unless your yardstick is the 80's Stallone Dredd adaptation.
that would be 1995 Stallone Adaptation, i watched DREDD last night and absolutely loved every minute of it.
Dave Boy likes this.
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

V/H/S - brilliant, a shot in the arm for modern horror (in my opinion) and the best 'found-footage'-style film I've seen.

Cheerleaders - crap

Revenge of the Cheerleaders - crapper
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 3rd February 2013, 07:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
that would be 1995 Stallone Adaptation, i watched DREDD last night and absolutely loved every minute of it.
Thanks, it seems so much longer ago. Perhaps it's my way of dealing with the disappointment.
pedromonkey likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!