Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179473Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2013, 08:09 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Recent viewings:

The Ward - Perfectly watchable but unremarkable and forgettable John Carpenter effort. The twist ending was particularly weak and has been done to death but it wasn't the worst way to kill 90 minutes.

Detention - Really original teen high school/slasher horror/alien invasion/90's popculture-a-thon/sci-fi/body horror/alien bear/body swap/time-travel genre defier. I can imagine it being divisive as after my first viewing I really wasn't sure what to think but I absolutely loved it on the rewatch I did later on the same day. It's a real credit to all involved that something so unexpected can be made in this day and age and even though some of it falls flat you really can't fault it. Plus, any film that references Morrissey's much-maligned Kill Uncle album is ok by me.

The House of Clocks - Solid late-career Fulci tv movie which never skimps on the blood and gore about an elderly couple whose house is broken into by some thugs when the old mans clock collection turns back time and gives the elderly couple the upper hand. Probably only one for Fulci aficionados as it's probably a bit harder work than his more accessible stuff but I really enjoyed it.
Old 15th February 2013, 10:22 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Detention - Really original teen high school/slasher horror/alien invasion/90's popculture-a-thon/sci-fi/body horror/alien bear/body swap/time-travel genre defier. I can imagine it being divisive as after my first viewing I really wasn't sure what to think but I absolutely loved it on the rewatch I did later on the same day. It's a real credit to all involved that something so unexpected can be made in this day and age and even though some of it falls flat you really can't fault it. Plus, any film that references Morrissey's much-maligned Kill Uncle album is ok by me.
Wow, sounds great! Think I'd been put off by the cover before (just another hoodie horror), but it's definitely going on the rental list now . . .
Old 15th February 2013, 11:37 AM
Cult Rookie

Watched Ryan Nicholson's later...well at least before B.F.M anyway...FAMINE.

All Indie Film Makers
Come Share Your Nightmare Visions
www.extremehorrorcinema.com/index.php?board=13.0
Old 15th February 2013, 11:47 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Finally got round to watching Hugo last night. A great little film, and what a love letter to Georges Melies!

The cinematography was superb, and unlike any Scorsese to date, and I loved the little nods/cameos of historical artists like Django Reinhardt and Salvador Dali
Old 15th February 2013, 01:11 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Recent viewings:

The Ward - Perfectly watchable but unremarkable and forgettable John Carpenter effort. The twist ending was particularly weak and has been done to death but it wasn't the worst way to kill 90 minutes.

The House of Clocks - Solid late-career Fulci tv movie which never skimps on the blood and gore about an elderly couple whose house is broken into by some thugs when the old mans clock collection turns back time and gives the elderly couple the upper hand. Probably only one for Fulci aficionados as it's probably a bit harder work than his more accessible stuff but I really enjoyed it.
I really liked Detention, but the whole 90's retro thing made me feel old!
Old 15th February 2013, 05:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Tonight I watched Oliver Stone's Savages on the German Blu-ray. I saw this at the cinema towards the end of last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think I liked it better second time round. Recommended.
Old 15th February 2013, 07:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Nightmare Castle (1965)
The Warriors (1979)
Old 15th February 2013, 08:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

some of my latest's viewings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0097.jpg (95.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 15th February 2013, 10:37 PM
Ex-member

Just watched Let The Right One In
Great film the two leads are fantastic actors who deserve a long career
Ahead of themselves
Old 15th February 2013, 11:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just seen Brandon Cronenbergs Antivirial. It is a great first flick and is very much like his fathers "body horror" subgenre! Plot is about the future where people are obsessed with celebs and where there are clinics where you can buy ilness and viruses that celebs have had. Yes that is very WTF like but thats Cronenberg style for you! You also get cells been replicated and "celeb meat" been sold at a butchers!

If you are a Cronenberg fan you may like this as it is very Cronenberg like and gotta hand it to Brandon for making such a film for his first. There is a very white color scheme though which I found to be quite tiring for my eyes ha ha
Metallicbomb likes this.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr

Like this? Share it using the links below!