2 Fantastic films 10/10
PaulD likes this.
Old 18th February 2013, 06:12 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Alone With Her (2006)

Now don't get me wrong stalking is a serious subject and anyone who has been a victim of it may see this film differently to me.

Unfortunately Alone With Her is a tiresome excuse for cheap film making. The majority of the movie is filmed through the various spy cameras bought by Colin Hanks to do his lecherous deeds with, meaning the film looks like a cheap found footage movie rather than a polished production.

The main gripe i had about the film was its storyline. Yes, fine, stalk the poor girl, but at least have a reason to do it. I just don't get why you would stalk someone you are actually friends with, dating and sleeping with. Its not like she ignores him or anything.

Others may find inner meanings and values here but i just thought it was tension free bollocks.

Yes! I really hated this film. A regrettable Poundland purchase. When it became clear in the first 10 minutes that the whole thing was to be shot through the spy cameras it took me all the will in the world to keep watching it as I am so fatigued with the whole found footage genre. It genuinely seemed like it used the spy camera footage 100% of the time to avoid having to deal with all of the other aspects of filmmaking like cinematography, composition, editing etc. An ugly-looking and tedious piece of pap

I watched the original The Stepfather last night for the 2nd time in the last 6 months for some reason. Really love these silly horror/thrillers. It's completely nonsensical and absurd but thoroughly entertaining and Locke from Lost really hams it up to great effect. Going to dig out the sequels and remake soon I think
Old 18th February 2013, 06:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicbomb View Post
Just finished watching a Guillermo Del Toro Double Bill
Pan's Labrinth
The Orphanage
2 Fantastic films 10/10
Awesome flicks but Toro only directed Pans Labyrinth.
He produced Orphanage.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 18th February 2013, 09:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Jason Lives - Friday the 13th Part VI

Lord knows how many times I've watched this over the years. And while I've always appreciated the little in-jokes and the way some dialogue is linked across scenes etc. I've only just now picked up on the "My heart can't take much more of this." ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jason Lives Friday the 13th Part VI 2.jpg (53.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 18th February 2013, 10:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

yesterdays viewings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0107.jpg (97.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 18th February 2013, 10:40 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Awesome flicks but Toro only directed Pans Labyrinth.
He produced Orphanage.
Yes I know
But it still count it as a Guillermo Del Toro double bill.
Old 18th February 2013, 12:46 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Last week I finished my 'Oscars challenge' by watching the final 12 Best Picture Oscar winners:

Shakespeare in Love – Not the best film ever to win the award, but a really entertaining one
American Beauty – Okay, it is one of those which is never as good as the first time you see it, but it's superbly directed and acted.
Gladiator – It may have its detractors, but I think it's a magnificent film with some really stirring scenes.
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King – Too long and with too many endings, but it won for the trilogy as a whole.
Million Dollar Baby – I have serious issues with the third act, but it's a powerful and evocative movie.
Crash – Some of it is over sentimentalised guff and Brokeback Mountain was the best film of the year and should have won.
The Departed – More watched this, the more I prefer it to Infernal Affairs and think it's a better movie.
No Country for Old Men – One of the Coen brothers best films which easily stands up to repeated viewings.
Slumdog Millionaire – I thought this was brilliant when I saw it at the cinema and haven't changed my mind.
The Hurt Locker – An extremely powerful war film which feels authentic despite some of the big-name cameos.
The King's Speech – With Colin Farrell's career-best performance, this seems to improve each time I watch it.
The Artist – The first silent films since Wings (1927) and the first B&W film since The Apartment (1960) to win Best Picture is another I never tire of watching.

Last night I watched four out of the five films in the Columbia Pictures Film Noir Classics I box set which, aside from Fritz Lang's brilliant The Big Heat, are average-to-pretty good but, at about 90 minutes each, easily pass the time.

Of the four rentals, the French drama-comedy Untouchable (Intouchable, 2012) is easily the best and a strong contender for the Best Foreign Film Oscar. I found it to be very inspiring as well. Ted isn't as funny as when I saw it at the cinema, with the titular bear merely a continuation of Seth McFarlane's previous creations, particularly Stewie and Roger; Grabbers is a really finish Irish monster movie which is well worth checking out; I wasn't sure what to expect from The Perks of Being a Wallflower but liked it a great deal due to the strong performances and authentic, almost semiautobiographical, feel.

At the cinema, I Give It a Year was funnier than I expected, but fairly predictable, Warm Bodies was also better than I expected with some really good laughs, heartfelt moments and nods to other zombie films and Wreck-It-Ralph shows why it's Oscar-nominated due to the great animation, excellent voice acting and engaging story.
bdc, Frankie Teardrop and sawyer6 like this.
Old 18th February 2013, 04:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

about to watch lost in translation,a big Bill Murray fan, but never got around to watching it.
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 18th February 2013, 04:45 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
about to watch lost in translation,a big Bill Murray fan, but never got around to watching it.
Amazing film, if you don't thoroughly enjoy it I'll be very surprised.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th February 2013, 05:07 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Amazing film, if you don't thoroughly enjoy it I'll be very surprised.
I love Lost in Translation – Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson are both superb.

Like this? Share it using the links below!