Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th February 2013, 06:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Slaughter Creek.

Look, I admit it, as a Liquid Sky fan, I have no leg to stand on, but when I watch a film I at least expect one of the 3 things, to wit....

To enjoy it
Or endure it
And finally... to understand the talents intentions (hmmm)

None of which I received from this thing. Such is life. I see there is a Grave Encounters II as well.
One can only hope for nuclear holocaust in the face of such unremitting cack.

Tomorrow....How I Sat Through On Golden Pond Drunk.

Frankie Teardrop likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th February 2013, 07:05 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Vulgaria (2012)

"Hong Kong, the present day. Low-end film producer To Wai-cheung (Chapman To) gives a master class to students at a university, moderated by Professor Cheng (Lawrence Cheng).

On the subject of raising finance, he recounts a memorable dinner in Beihai, Guangxi province, China, with a potential investor, gangster Tyrannosaurus (Ronald Cheng), who wanted him to remake his favourite erotic costume drama from his youth, Confession of a Concubine (官人我要, 1976), with the same actress, Yum Yum Shaw.

Tyrannosaurus suggested the title Confessions of Two Concubines (官人我又要). Back in Hong Kong, Wai-cheung couldn't persuade Yum Yum Shaw (Susan Shaw), now in her 60s, to take the part; but he got an old friend, Blackie Tak (Matt Chow), then running an illegal gambling den, to agree to direct.

Yum Yum Shaw finally agreed to take the part when Wai-cheung came up with the idea of using CGI to put her face on to Ka-yan's body in the sex scenes. Production was finally ready to start - but more problems were to follow." (Filmbizasia)

Enjoyable hip Cat III (mainly because of the bad language since there's no nudity) comedy that reminded me at times of Viva Erotica (1996) (which did feature more nudity) as both deal with struggling HK film makers.
There's many subplots to keep you entertained and the film (luckily) doesn't end when you think it does.
Seems there's a UK dvd and bd announced for April 15, 2013 btw (Third Window Films).

And don't ask me about the mule(s)!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 615fS%2B2bjEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (28.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 61uSfJBm5LL._SL500_AA300_.jpg (25.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by bdc; 18th February 2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 18th February 2013, 07:08 PM
Cult Addict

Children of the corn. (orgional 80's version)

While it certainly takes liberty's with the stephen king short story, this is still an eighties classic for me. Certainly who can kill a child may be better but this is a solid well-crafted fright flick thats creepy and entertaining and has a great score as well. The anchor bay blu-ray is region free but surprisingly dear at the minute so probably needs a re-issue, it looks fantastic as well and has 40 minutes worth of featurettes from red shirt pictures that make interesting viewing for fans.
Old 18th February 2013, 08:11 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Children of the corn. (orgional 80's version)
I only watched it for the first time the other day (been commissioned to do a poster for it). Thought it was alright, though it definitely felt heavily padded out from a short story. There were a lot of scenes of charcters just wondering around The third act seemed a little muddled too (the main kid who came back as a ghost/zombie for one shot, then vanished from the film ). Oh yeah, and that ginger kid was godawful! On the plus side, thought the central couple were well characterised, and Linda Hamilton was at her likable best. Think the tension worked best in the opening scenes, deserted villages are always good for generating atmosphere (reminded me of that Dean Koontz adaptation with Ben Affleck - I forget the title ) . . .
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th February 2013, 08:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
I only watched it for the first time the other day (been commissioned to do a poster for it). Thought it was alright, though it definitely felt heavily padded out from a short story. There were a lot of scenes of charcters just wondering around The third act seemed a little muddled too (the main kid who came back as a ghost/zombie for one shot, then vanished from the film ). Oh yeah, and that ginger kid was godawful! On the plus side, thought the central couple were well characterised, and Linda Hamilton was at her likable best. Think the tension worked best in the opening scenes, deserted villages are always good for generating atmosphere (reminded me of that Dean Koontz adaptation with Ben Affleck - I forget the title ) . . .
Phantoms!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th February 2013, 08:31 PM
Active Cultist

3 more Criterion blus, all b&w but otherwise nowt in common which is why they're so addictive to collect

Godzilla - surprisingly thoughtful and sad for a movie featuring a gigantic monster reptile. Great edition this, 2 different cuts each with commentary by David Kalat - ill enjoy those one day. Features Pop-up Godzilla head as well packaging nerds!

A Night to Remember - Another story shat on by Hollywood (there's a similarity) but better here although the wonky continuity drove me crazy during the sinking - it's just about sunk, (long shot) no its not, (medium shot) yes it is, no it isn't etc etc Some great stiff upper lips on board, the Captain and architect/designer (?) are especially stoic. No histrionics here,we're British.

8 1/2 - Best till last - this was incredible, can't believe I'd never seen it, feared it may be pretentious and a bit of a slog but it was actively hilarious in parts (the harem fantasy especially) creepy in others, it was sad, haunting and visually stunning in every scene, hell there's even a sci-fi bit complete with synthesiser music. Can't wait for Eureka's City of Women now.
Old 18th February 2013, 08:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Phantoms!
That's the one! It was one of the first films I bought from the cable on demand service when we first got cable tv . . .
Old 18th February 2013, 08:57 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
The central relationship between the two main characters is entirely different from the story, and sure the film has its flaws, but its still a great fun slice of eighties horror imo. I still remember owning the origional thorn emi vhs!

Just finished REC 3.

I know it got a fair amount of crap online but I really enjoyed it. Nice to see a really ROMANTIC horror movie for once, and I also liked the more tounge in cheek approach that stopped it feeling like merely a retread of the first two.

Also liked john sponge!

Glad to see them trying to take the franchise in new directions.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 18th February 2013, 09:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Also liked john sponge!
He should have his own spin-off . . .
keirarts likes this.
Old 18th February 2013, 09:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
He should have his own spin-off . . .
It had me laughing out loud, considering how depressed i've been lately it really did cheer me up no end.

Like this? Share it using the links below!