Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Mojo 20th May 2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 151881)
I've had the disc for a while and haven't watched it yet so didn't realise that was one of the extra features until I had a close look at the back cover following your post! I would have realised it was there eventually (i.e., when I found time to watch the disc and the special features), but this gives me a real incentive! -- thanks.

No probs nos :) It's not exactly well promoted on the back cover, is it? And it's a strange 'extra' to have ( but very welcome ).

I originally saw this more years ago than I care to remember at the flicks on a double bill with Bava's Shock.

Didn't know what to make of it at the time ( mind you neither did the rest of the audience :D ) but I've grown to like it a lot over the years. A Blu-ray release would be nice....

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th May 2011 08:39 PM

I watched the 'controversial' Shriek Show Blu of Beyond the Darkness earlier, and whilst it is by no means a perfect release, it is a lot better than what I expected having read some of the damning comments online.

It is certainly an upgrade over the DVD and shows no traces of DNR, instead it is grain heavy (but not to the point of distraction). The image looks slightly soft in places, plus there are a couple of audio sync issues - I think these may of been present on the DVD too.

Overall, I'd liken the presentation to an upscaling of the DVD, and aside from the 'alternative' (edited) opening sequence, there is still definitely room for improvement. However, I was generally happy with the transfer, particularly as it is a 1970s low-budget indy Italian horror film using post-production dubbing incorporating a dual mono audio track - you're not exactly going in expecting the best transfer. ;)

Also, as you get the DVD anyway (which incorporates the longer opening sequence) I think the £11 odd I spent on it was a pretty fair price for what I consider to be an essential slice of Euro-horror from D'Amato.

There is talk that Midnight Legacy will release this in the not-to-distant future, and if they do I'll weigh up the merits of both releases and decide which one I prefer.

Kyle 20th May 2011 08:45 PM

watched king frat last night not sure what to watch now though :decision:

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st May 2011 12:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I watched The Deaths of Ian Stone last night.

An interesting London based, horror fantasy about a man who takes on a new persona each day and is killed at the end of it.

Can he find out what is happening to himself?, and just as importantly, why?

With excellent camera work in the capital, this film is certainly not the norm when it comes to genre film making. It features Jaime Murray (Hustle, Dexter) in a large supporting role.

pedromonkey 21st May 2011 01:14 PM

i have The Deaths Of Ian Stone but not watched it yet...

last night i watched Quigley Down Under and bloody loved it, you get Tom Selleck being unbelievably badass and Alan Rickman giving another over the top villainous performance, there's some great action and it's quite funny too.

Kyle 22nd May 2011 06:04 AM

watched the headhunter and due date

PaulD 22nd May 2011 10:59 AM

All night cinema marathon of:

Battle Royale
Peeping Tom
Faster Pussycat Kill! Kill!
Cat People (1942)
The Wizard of Oz

as part of Tyneside Cinemas 75 Years of Film

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd May 2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 152316)

Battle Royale
Peeping Tom
Cat People (1942)
The Wizard of Oz

What an excellent bill of films. All so out of place in each others company that it would be impossible to get bored.
Every one a 5* film. :popcorn:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd May 2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 152316)

Battle Royale
Peeping Tom
Cat People (1942)
The Wizard of Oz

It's a great selection of films they have in Newcastle and I'd love to spend all day and night there but, sadly, it's just not logistically possible. It's a brilliant cinema as well.

nekromantik 22nd May 2011 11:46 AM

I enjoyed deaths of ian stone.
but I am a bit impartial to Mike Vougel :lol:
was only £3

last night I watched Beyond the Darkness,
was weird flick and had some pretty decent gore scenes :)
overall it was alright nothing brilliant tho.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd May 2011 12:02 PM

Over the past couple of nights I've seen:
Crocodile (Tobe Hooper)
Return to Horror High
Children of the Corn (BD)
Night of the Living Dead (the colour version -- it's rubbish like that)
The Lady Eve
No Way Out
Beau Gest
Burial Ground: Nights of Terror

There's nothing wrong with a bit of variety, is there!?

dream demon 22nd May 2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 152161)
I watched The Deaths of Ian Stone last night.

An interesting London based, horror fantasy about a man who takes on a new persona each day and is killed at the end of it.

Can he find out what is happening to himself?, and just as importantly, why?

With excellent camera work in the capital, this film is certainly not the norm when it comes to genre film making. It features Jaime Murray (Hustle, Dexter) in a large supporting role.

Great film. :thumb: This was one of the ones I picked up in Home Bargains for 99p mainly due to it featuring Jaime Murray and really enjoyed it. A definite 'keeper'.

Just watched Terror Train yesterday and thought it was great. I'm surprised it is not better know outside of genre fandom. It was a shame they didn't use the Groucho Marx mask throughout the film as it was supremely creepy. :) This may sound a bit odd, but I thought that it actually had more of a Giallo feel to it, rather than your typical US teen slasher fest.

Watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show last night with a mate at the Tyneside Cinema. The film was great, the crowd less so - lot's of pissed up students, including one young lass who threw up next to us. :rolleyes: I'll be going back next month for the new print of Apocalypse Now! :pop2:

I think I'll watch either New York Ripper or Bay Of Blood tonight as I've just received the AWE releases in the post this week. :woot:

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd May 2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 152340)
Over the past couple of nights I've seen:
Crocodile (Tobe Hooper)
The Lady Eve

There's nothing wrong with a bit of variety, is there!?

I picked up Crocodile in a killer creatures 10 disc cheap set a few years ago. I had no idea Hooper directed it, i really enjoyed it, as i did with the rest of the set - Croc 2, Shark Attack 1, 2,3, Spiders, Octopus 1,2 etc .All the films are good quality.

All good fun, Octopus 2 has a pretty high budget - the creature attacks an American city, forget which one.

What is The Lady Eve btw?

pedromonkey 22nd May 2011 01:14 PM

watched True Grit (2011) last night and thoroughly enjoyed it, Jeff Bridges is brilliant as Rooster Cogburn and it has some of the most beautiful cinematography i have ever seen.

PaulD 22nd May 2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 152346)
Watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show last night with a mate at the Tyneside Cinema. The film was great, the crowd less so - lot's of pissed up students, including one young lass who threw up next to us.

I was at Battle Royale at that point but a mate was at Rocky Horror and said it was great with people singing and dancing. We had a similar audience problem with Peeping Tom last night with some jackass sneeringly laughing at what seemed to be just the fact that it was an old film with old fashioned dialogue.

Rocky Horror was sold out but was it full? Battle Royale was sold out but loads of people didn't turn up and so there were loads of empty seats, preventing other people from getting in.

dream demon 22nd May 2011 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 152363)
I was at Battle Royale at that point but a mate was at Rocky Horror and said it was great with people singing and dancing. We had a similar audience problem with Peeping Tom last night with some jackass sneeringly laughing at what seemed to be just the fact that it was an old film with old fashioned dialogue.

Rocky Horror was sold out but was it full? Battle Royale was sold out but loads of people didn't turn up and so there were loads of empty seats, preventing other people from getting in.

Oh yeah, it was a great laugh, but a small minority near us did get a bit carried away and just seemed to be generally taking the piss out of the film and just being a bit obnoxious. :mmph:

RHPS was about 75% full despite being sold out; it's a bit annoying to know that people were buying tickets for the others and not turning up, or we could have got to see The Shining or BR.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd May 2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 152347)
I picked up Crocodile in a killer creatures 10 disc cheap set a few years ago. I had no idea Hooper directed it, i really enjoyed it, as i did with the rest of the set - Croc 2, Shark Attack 1, 2,3, Spiders, Octopus 1,2 etc .All the films are good quality.

All good fun, Octopus 2 has a pretty high budget - the creature attacks an American city, forget which one.

What is The Lady Eve btw?

My copy of Crocodile came in the B-Movie Collection box set along with the colourised Night of the Living Dead, Return of the Killer Tomatoes, Rats and other such oddities.

The Lady Eve is a 1941 romantic comedy with Henry Fonda and Barbara Stanwyck, written and directed by Preston Sturges, the man who made the brilliant Sullivan's Travels.

The Lady Eve (1941)

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd May 2011 07:26 PM

The Lady Eve sounds good, just ordered it, £3.99, you can't really go wrong. I love comedies from the thirties/forties. The Thin Man box set is one of my best dvds full stop. I wouldn't swap it for the entire Arrow/Shameless back catalogue.

Not seen too much of Stanwyck, just Forty Guns and Double Indemnity spring to mind from my collection.

mercury 22nd May 2011 07:33 PM

Total recall
Sixth sense
Bounty Hunter
Iron Man 2

DryJack 22nd May 2011 09:35 PM

Watched Moon, which I thought was pretty good and The Sword and the Sorcerer which I haven't seen since I was a kid and is still a fun watch.

Sam 22nd May 2011 09:52 PM

It's Alive 3 - The lesser of the 3 films in my opinion, this one is more action packed than the other 2 but isn't quite as engaging. Still good fun though and features a great unhinged performance from Michael Moriarty.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - Have to admit that I enjoyed this when I watched it at the cinema and did so again on blu ray. Not everyone's cup of teaI know but if you want a daft, effects-lead action film you could do worse (although they could've easily cut a good half hour). Also, it's the best looking blu ray I've seen so far!

Make Them Die Slowly 22nd May 2011 11:39 PM

Weird, I thought I'd just posted on this thread but nothing has appeared so I'll post again and apologies if my original post reappears, or I placed it in the wrong thread.

"The Last Lovecraft". The idea of a comedy based on the writing of H.P. Lovecraft doesn't sound like the most promising thing, and guess what, it ain't. This film lacks any tension in it's horror or it's comedy leaving the viewer feeling that it worked much better in the mind of the writer as he scrawled the script out over a drunken weekend. May shoggoths devour all involved.

nekromantik 23rd May 2011 12:18 AM

just seen Dominion Prequel to the Exorcist

was a pretty good story but I wasnt too sure about the possessed boy thing.

Kyle 23rd May 2011 06:59 AM

watched the orphan on tv last night

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd May 2011 01:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Watched The Gravedancers last night.

Originally part of the 2006 After Dark Horrorfest 8 Films to Die For.

Although never a classic, the Gravedancers is an effective little ghost story.The story centres on three friends who spend a night drinking and fooling around in a graveyard to celebrate their recently deceased friends life.
Unbeknown to them they have disturbed the spirits on whose graves they danced and all hell breaks loose.

I found it refreshing as the main protagonists in the film are not the usual high school idiots, but rather well rounded adults. The film is certainly well acted with excellent camera work, good location filming, superb production values and lush musical scores.

Kudos must go to the creature/ghost designers whose creations are extremely effective and rise above the poor CGI monsters in most other indiependant movies.

All in all if you enjoyed Poltergeist, The Legend of Hell House and The Evil Dead, then The Gravedancers is probably just up your street.

The film stars Dominic Purcell (Prison Break), Claire Kramer (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Thirst) and the always watchable Tcheky Karyo (The Core, Bad Boys, Dobermann)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd May 2011 02:22 PM

Sounds good -- I'll add it to my Lovefilm rental queue and then see if it's worth buying.

nekromantik 23rd May 2011 02:27 PM

i enjoyed gravedancers :)
was a fun flick

gag 23rd May 2011 05:15 PM

Just watched

The Experiment with forest whitaker.....wasnt aware till recently this was a remake..Any 1 seen original is it worth buying..?

pedromonkey 23rd May 2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 152536)
Just watched

The Experiment with forest whitaker.....wasnt aware till recently this was a remake..Any 1 seen original is it worth buying..?

The original is a fantastic film, the remake was good but not a patch on the german version...

Sam 23rd May 2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 152541)
The original is a fantastic film, the remake was good but not a patch on the german version...

I'd second that, the original is amazing. Can't comment on the remake as I've not seen it

nekromantik 23rd May 2011 08:53 PM

I liked the remake need to check out original

Pete 23rd May 2011 09:25 PM

Just watched the Mill Creek blu of the spag western 4 DOLLARS FOR REVENGE and it wasn't bad. The transfer wasn't the best with lots scratches and scuffs on the image but considering how obscure the film is it's better than nothing.

Kyle 23rd May 2011 09:56 PM

just watched blood diner, such an awesome shitty film , loads of fun!

necroluciferia 24th May 2011 09:12 AM

Watched Who Can Kill A Child last night. Was a bootleg, but think Shameless are meant to be releasing it soon. Good film. :)

nekromantik 24th May 2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necroluciferia (Post 152623)
Watched Who Can Kill A Child last night. Was a bootleg, but think Shameless are meant to be releasing it soon. Good film. :)

Nah its not Shameless its by Eureka and its already out :)

necroluciferia 24th May 2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 152625)

Ah my mistake :blush: Cheers for clearing that up!

pedromonkey 24th May 2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 152625)

where nek, amazon don't have it. Play have it up for pre-order and says it out on 23rd of May which was yesterday.

pedromonkey 24th May 2011 05:37 PM

watched The Deaths Of Ian Stone last night, what a great little hidden gem of a movie, really interesting story, not the best acting in the world but had shades of Dark City running through it. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th May 2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 152733)
watched The Deaths Of Ian Stone last night, what a great little hidden gem of a movie, really interesting story, not the best acting in the world but had shades of Dark City running through it. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Glad you liked it.

I was just wondering, did my post from the other day, with the film overview and film stills make you decide to dig out the film at all.

Other posters just list what they have seen, which is a lot easier than writing a small synopsis and finding pictures, especially if they don't interest people at all. :)

pedromonkey 24th May 2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 152738)
Glad you liked it.

I was just wondering, did my post from the other day, with the film overview and film stills make you decide to dig out the film at all.

Other posters just list what they have seen, which is a lot easier than writing a small synopsis and finding pictures, especially if they don't interest people at all. :)

it did indeed, i also got it from Home Bargains for 99p and it's just been sitting there gathering dust. Really did enjoy it. That's the best thing about this thread, it's like a mini review site. Cheers for that.