Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd March 2013, 11:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

TOWER BLOCK - The top floor residents of a soon to be vacated tower block are picked off one by one by a mysterious sniper. I quite enjoyed this, but its flaws are fairly obvious. There are cliched characters, really clunky moments and a weak reveal / ending, not to mention a narrative which is never anything but straightforward. None of these factors get in the way of 'Tower Block' being entertaining. It's fast moving and slick, and some of the acting is pretty good. It can't conjure the paranoid atmosphere of a classic siege flick like 'Assault on Precinct 13', but it goes about its action horror business quite effectvely.

THE BEYOND - It's hard to go back to certain movies once you've overdosed on them. I watched 'The Beyond' countless times during my teenage years - as a result, for me, overexposure has leeched the magic and the madness from this pinnacle of trash-surrealism. I watched this yesterday for the first time in years, and a musty familarity got in the way of the awesomeness I used to see. The bonkersness is still there, but tempered by a weird nostalgia. I could hardly say that scenes like the completely ridiculous and excessive 'blood scum from mother's acid-destroyed face menaces little girl in morgue' and so many other messed up moments left me cold because they still impress with their utter weirdness and the soundtrack, with its shifts from cliche 'horror moments' to inane disco to subliminal tape manipulation has always seemed inspiring in a mad way, but I wish I could recapture the time when 'The Beyond' worked its spell the way it used to.
Old 3rd March 2013, 11:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

THE BEYOND - It's hard to go back to certain movies once you've overdosed on them. I watched 'The Beyond' countless times during my teenage years - as a result, for me, overexposure has leeched the magic and the madness from this pinnacle of trash-surrealism. I watched this yesterday for the first time in years, and a musty familarity got in the way of the awesomeness I used to see. The bonkersness is still there, but tempered by a weird nostalgia. I could hardly say that scenes like the completely ridiculous and excessive 'blood scum from mother's acid-destroyed face menaces little girl in morgue' and so many other messed up moments left me cold because they still impress with their utter weirdness and the soundtrack, with its shifts from cliche 'horror moments' to inane disco to subliminal tape manipulation has always seemed inspiring in a mad way, but I wish I could recapture the time when 'The Beyond' worked its spell the way it used to.
You have done a good job of summing up how i feel about The Beyond.

Its just not the same as it used to be.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 4th March 2013, 12:39 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
How did you watch Napoleon? Was it this one on YouTube?

It's a film which really needs a fully remastered Blu-ray release.
It was the american cut with the coppola soundtrack. It wasn't a bad copy but I enjoyed the almost fours hours and yes it does need a remaster (MOC are you reading?)
Old 4th March 2013, 12:43 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

1927 continued:

Trolley Troubles
Sunrise A Song of Two Humans
The Jazz Singer
Metropolis

http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post325318
Demoncrat, sawyer6 and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 4th March 2013, 01:05 AM
Ex-member

Just watched
The Devil Rides Out
To The Devil A Daughter
Rik, Demoncrat and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 4th March 2013, 03:24 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched a couple of nice low budget US flicks on the weekend -
Absentia
YellowBrickRoad

Both were very good, and only once or twice gave in to their low budgets.

Speaking of low budgets, last night I watched all the special features on the UK blu of The Evil Dead - superb stuff. Would love to see a decent version of Within The Woods! Found it on youtube, but it's pretty much unwatchable.
Lincoln.
Old 4th March 2013, 08:29 AM
Cult Addict

Finaly got to see Argo on friday. Belting stuff, take's a few liberties with the subject material but all in the name of running time, and little of it of any significance anyway (at least Affleck was honest in his deppication of the stupidity of the guards and the fact they aimed the tear gas cannister's at the mob, most american directors would have depicted them as helpless and moronic). Very tense scene in the airport towards the end and a generally very authentic 70's feel to it all. Reccomended is you can take bio-pics with some salt (and if you don't hate Ben Affleck, which i'm beggining NOT to. This make's up for him staring in Pearl Harbor anyway).
Justin101 and nekromantik like this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 4th March 2013, 11:24 AM
Cult Veteran

I wanted to watch Tourist Trap this weekend but Amazon Prime failed me once again... Hopefully it'll be there when I get home this evening.
Hawkmonger likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 4th March 2013, 12:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I originally posted this in the Soppy Bollocks thread, but as its a review i thought i'd recycle it here as well.

Devils Playground (2010)

For the first twenty minutes this film was so ho-hum, so cheap and nasty, a rip off of 28 Days Later, that it was becoming monotonous.

Then something amazing happened. At some stage in proceedings it seems someone agreed with me and the production sprung into life. The characters suddenly became that bit more believable and well rounded, the acting once overplayed seemed to tone itself down a notch and notorious hardmen such as Craig Fairbrass actually became watchable and somehow interesting and highly watchable.

As with all small groups trapped by the raving hordes outside, factions splinter off, some characters you root for, others you want dead from the get go. Devils Playground is no different except for the fact that it plays with the viewers conceptions and has you rooting for the Fairbrass / Dyer types rather than the lovely Jaimie Murray and her beau, who whilst not being evil as such, are certainly misguided and pretty unpleasant, whereas Dyer retains our sympathies for the whole film.

Credit too must go to the cinematographers. Clearly the film didn't have the money to feature London's landmarks, the zombie hordes never attacked people in Trafalgar Square for example, but the film makers, through cunning location work, often had the cities tourist attractions in shot whilst characters were running down back alleys and especially whilst they were trying to escape down the Thames with the brightly lit Millennium Dome often in view against the night sky. Shots like these helped give the film a sense of scale that probably far outweighed its production budget.

By the end of the film i was sat up on the edge of my seat anxious to know what was going to happen, and thats not something i can say for many modern zombie films.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_laju2tHI2v1qadrjxo1_500.jpg (75.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 4th March 2013, 04:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Class Of Nuke 'Em High last night.
Terrible movie, terrible extras. Have Southern
Comfort lined up for tonight.

Like this? Share it using the links below!