Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

bankzzy 30th December 2008 09:11 PM

Ones I got for Xmas...

The Warrior
The Ruins
Boarding Gate
The Orphange
Shrooms
Death Note 1 & 2
Frankie Boyle Live
Mum & Dad
Tokyo Gore Police

Hope to watch some of them soon!

Ps Watched Wall.E on blu-ray over Xmas - AMAZING! :)

bedorca 30th December 2008 10:34 PM

The Warrior any good?

Was tempted to get that today!!!

Pete 31st December 2008 01:07 PM

I got for chrimbo:

Bill Bailey Live Tinsle Worm
The Devil Hunter
Felicity
Vanessa
The Vengeance Trilogy Limited Edtion with hammer
Oasis of Fear
Convoy
Breathless
Hard Boiled
The Isle

jim corrupt 1st January 2009 04:51 PM

my xmas haul;

the x files season 1 box set
the best of hammer box set
tetsuo 2 body hammer
marebito
three extremes 2
mother of tears
hellboy 2
peep show series 5
that mitchell and webb look series 2
torso (shameless)

trench 1st January 2009 07:15 PM

Recently acquired :

Tony Hancock boxset
2 Mario Bava boxsets
Noroi : The Curse
Hellraiser 1 and 2
High Plains Drifter
Night of the Hunter
Don't Look Now

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 1st January 2009 07:39 PM

Nice pressies guys!

I got these babies:

-Bloodbath At The House Of Death
-I Drink Your Blood
-The Living Dead At Manchester Morgue
-[REC]
-The Warriors
-Sleepaway Camp Boxset
-Mario Bava Boxset
-Mountain Of The Cannibal God
-Creepshow 2
-Blood Feast
-Torso
-Frankenhooker
-The Marx Brothers Boxset

and a Dawn Of The Dead and Saw t-shirt, with 'Shock! Horror!' and 'Gospel Of The Living Dead' , 'Crystal Lake Memories' books.

:D

jim corrupt 1st January 2009 07:49 PM

Nice haul ILUV!!

Sleepaway Camp!!!! Sweeeeeeet!

bankzzy 1st January 2009 07:50 PM

Managed to watch...

So far today have managed to watch :

Frankie Boyle Live - Funny and near the knuckle!

The Warrior - A bit long, quite brutal battle scenes that actually seem realistic for a change...

Tokyo Gore Police - Quite simply the most insane film I think I have ever seen! It is bonkers! :D

Boarding Gate - A bit slow, not brilliant but Asia Argento looks ok in it!

Pete 2nd January 2009 01:24 PM

The Another World discs of Violence in a Womans Prison and Caligula and Messalina poped through my letterbox this morning. Cant wait to watch C & M.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 2nd January 2009 06:20 PM

Got for pressies....
HALLOWEEN 3 Japanese import-don't buy -it's ****ing cut!:headbang:
THE DEVIL HUNTER -SEVERIN-Great transfer!
BLOODY MOON-SEVERIN
PIECES-GRINDHOUSE
ICONS OF HORROR-HAMMER FILMS-The Gorgon and the Two faces of Dr.Jeykll are enjoyable!-Not watched the other 2 yet.
L'ABIME DES MORTS VIVANTS-SYNERGY
FUNERAL HOME-SYNERGY
HOW TO KILL A JUDGE-BU
MANIAC-BU
THE HEROIN BUSTERS-BU
ANGUISH-BU
CASE OF THE BLOODY IRIS-BU
STREET LAW-BU
INFERNO-BU
DEEP RED-BU
THE BEYOND-GRINDHOUSE
And while I've been out and about I picked up:
10000 BC TIN-Shite!
VERTIGO SE
THE STRANGERS-Looking forward to this!
MERRY CHRISTMAS MR LAWRENCE-OPTIMUM
RITA,SUE AND BOB TOO!-Excellent!
HELLBOY II-Just CANNOT get into HELLBOY at all!

bedorca 3rd January 2009 08:01 AM

Nice to see Santa is a Shameless fan too!! :D

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th January 2009 10:39 PM

Just watched THE STRANGERS,Jesus,talk about cranking up the tension...:eek: If you like 'THEM' then you'll love this.....highly recommended:cool:

KPWNINJA 5th January 2009 08:34 PM

Alright so christmas is over and guess what I got... :p

The Ultimate Hammer Collection
HELL YEAH!!!! :woot:

cloud 5th January 2009 09:42 PM

I bought the 21 film Hammer set a few months ago for £27 used. I had over half of them already as I imported the Anchor Bay USA double bills for a tenner or so each a few years ago but the set looks so good, is so cheap and helps complete my collection. If you don't have any of the films then for the £30 it's going for now you've pretty much commited daylight robbery ;).

Enjoy the set cause they certainly don't make 'em like that anymore.

jim corrupt 5th January 2009 09:50 PM

my mate from work got me the Best of Hammer one for xmas.

KPWNINJA 5th January 2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 19836)
I bought the 21 film Hammer set a few months ago for £27 used. I had over half of them already as I imported the Anchor Bay USA double bills for a tenner or so each a few years ago but the set looks so good, is so cheap and helps complete my collection. If you don't have any of the films then for the £30 it's going for now you've pretty much commited daylight robbery ;).

Enjoy the set cause they certainly don't make 'em like that anymore.

I had been putting off buying the Hammer films separately for a while because I had my eyes on this set. I just never had the money to get it! :p (Or rather I did but the girlfriend would kill me!)

So far I've only watched The Reptile which was great fun! :D
I believe Hammer have started producing films again. True they won't have the same atmosphere and charm but it's great to see UK horror making it's comeback!

KPWNINJA 5th January 2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jim corrupt (Post 19839)
my mate from work got me the Best of Hammer one for xmas.

Have you watched any of the films yet? If so what did you think? :D

cloud 6th January 2009 12:48 AM

I know what you mean. I was warned by my wife to stop spending money on DVDs just before Xmas. The day before I ordered around 25 new discs so every morning I figure out what time the postman will come, sneak downstairs and hide the discs ;). Doesn't seem to be working anymore though because today she figured me out. I shall have to rethink my strategy.

The Reptile ain't bad, though I do think they'd have been best off not showing the monster at the beginning.

Peter Neal 6th January 2009 10:41 AM

@Cloud: I feel with you, mate. I wouldn't even want to envision what would happen to (and what would be left of) me if I bought 25 DVDs at the hands of my wife....:eek:

Recommended: "Blade: The Series" has hit the bargain bin in Helsinki in its "unrated" version...and luckily I grabbed it- as so far it felt a whole lot better than the sequels to the powerhouse action/horrorcrossover original.:)
Surprisingly hard hitting action paired with a cinema-worthy look and hot, ass-kicking female vampires, nicely portioned into episodes....a good snack when you don't have the time for a feature film.:popcorn:

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 6th January 2009 11:01 AM

That Ultimate Hammer Boxset is beautiful! I luv it. Possibly, one of the best boxsets I own. One Million Years B.C. is probably my fav of the ones I've seen from it so far.

Paul@TheOverlook 6th January 2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 19851)
I know what you mean. I was warned by my wife to stop spending money on DVDs just before Xmas. The day before I ordered around 25 new discs so every morning I figure out what time the postman will come, sneak downstairs and hide the discs ;). Doesn't seem to be working anymore though because today she figured me out. I shall have to rethink my strategy.

Get them sent to your workplace or to a friend ;)

mark meakin 6th January 2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

so every morning I figure out what time the postman will come, sneak downstairs and hide the discs ;). Doesn't seem to be working anymore though because today she figured me out. I shall have to rethink my strategy.

I have to sneak down for the bloody bank statement too.;)

mark meakin 6th January 2009 11:41 AM

My Bloody Valentine (1981)Uncut version arrived today.I resisted the temption to watch the nearly 3 minute of additional gore separately so I'll watch it tonight.Includes trailer & interviews with the cast & crew of the forthcoming remake too which looks like it could be half decent.

KPWNINJA 6th January 2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

The Reptile ain't bad, though I do think they'd have been best off not showing the monster at the beginning.

Yeah it was a shame about the DVD menu and even the disc itself displaying the creature. Almost as bad as ABUK disc of Scanners!!! :ack:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Neal (Post 19863)
Recommended: "Blade: The Series" has hit the bargain bin in Helsinki in its "unrated" version...and luckily I grabbed it- as so far it felt a whole lot better than the sequels to the powerhouse action/horrorcrossover original.:)

Yeah I picked up Blade: The Series over here in the UK a while back, because of it's bargain price, and it's really not as bad as many have made it out to be! :p
Great fun and much better than Blade Trinity! :ack:

NossB 6th January 2009 11:56 AM

In a moment of impulse buying, I bought Halloween on Blu Ray...

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8...cepalm4in8.jpg

Matt 6th January 2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

I know what you mean. I was warned by my wife to stop spending money on DVDs just before Xmas. The day before I ordered around 25 new discs...

That's heroic. I think that's how I eventually want to go, murdered by my girlfriend because of excessive DVD buying.

As a thought, to calm the storm, you could try ordering stuff for her so every day when your films arrive you have a gift to give her. How can she be angry with her when you've just given her a lovely gift?

The only horror-y thing I've got recently was 'Dead Set', which I've been watching whenever I notice Celebrity Big Brother is on. So far, three episodes in, I'm really enjoying it. It's an interesting spin on the zombie genre, and really well made. Unfortunately some of the acting is a little off, but otherwise it's terrific stuff. I love the producer character so much, the things he's done to survive are truly grim so far. Plus, anyone who's sat through a post-eviction Big Brother interview will no doubt enjoy seeing Davina McCall getting her throat torn out.

I think they're showing some of it on Channel 4 tonight. If you have a chance, check it out. It comes highly recommended.

cloud 6th January 2009 01:53 PM

Thanks for the advice chaps. I've decided to bring a backpack downstairs and when they arrive I can quickly shove 'em in there then when the coast is clear will subtly stick them in the pile hoping that they blend in well with the others. I feel like a little kid! All joking aside, I do have a problem I think, I'm addicted to buying DVDs, maybe counselling is the answer?

Going back to Hammer, who else has this set?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA240_.jpg

I think that led to my first ever customs charges and it turned a £28 set into a £38 one :mad:.

Also a recommendation for those who don't have it:

http://www.churchofsatan.com/Graphic...Collection.jpg

That is one of the best sets I have in my collection, 8 Hammer films released onto 2 discs. It was especially nice for me as it meant I got to revisit a part of my childhood with CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF. In my opinion, Hammer's Universal period was when they were at their most entertaining. And yes, I love their adaption of PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, it's my favourite adaption in fact. That set is worth £15 of anyone's money, I remember buying it and the Val Lewton collection together in late 2005, happy memories indeed!

cloud 6th January 2009 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 19877)
My Bloody Valentine (1981)Uncut version arrived today.I resisted the temption to watch the nearly 3 minute of additional gore separately so I'll watch it tonight.Includes trailer & interviews with the cast & crew of the forthcoming remake too which looks like it could be half decent.

It arrived TODAY?!?!?!? You lucky bast.... person. Now you've watched it do you wanna send it my way. I'll send you a fiver for it!

vincenzo 6th January 2009 02:11 PM

Cloud's generosity truly knows no bounds. http://www.shameless-films.com/forum...es/biggrin.gif

cloud 6th January 2009 02:16 PM

Hey that's a fair price, it's classed as 'used' now ;).

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th January 2009 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload (Post 19871)
Get them sent to your workplace or to a friend ;)

Or 1. Tell her they're trades from Shameless ;)

2.Set up a second bank account,get the statements sent to your folks house

3.Tell her your hours at work have been reduced and get your boss to pay a portion of your salary into the secret bank account.;)

4.Tell her you'll use the extra time you have on your hands looking for a part time job-thus covering the fact that you're out the house for the same amount of time....

5.Have a good solicitor waiting in the wings,in case this all goes tits up and you find yourself being dragged through the divorce courts,with her entitled to half your collection......:rofl:

TALL DUDE 7th January 2009 07:43 AM

Was in my local video store last night for a "browse" and came away with:

Talledaga nights-will ferrell comedy-£1.99

Keeping mum-british comedy starring rowan atkinson-£1.99

Exorcism- boulevard release of a 12 cert devil movie.dont bode well.-£1.95,new.

Shark in venice- another classic from nu image.Watched last night....pants!-£3.99

A tenner well spent?;)

Paul@TheOverlook 7th January 2009 09:37 AM

I saw SHARK IN VENICE over the Christmas break - awful, unintentially hilarious flick. Definitely worth 90 mins of anyone's time. :D

mark meakin 7th January 2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 19907)
It arrived TODAY?!?!?!? You lucky bast.... person. Now you've watched it do you wanna send it my way. I'll send you a fiver for it!

Naturally a polite refusal is called for. ***K OFF !.;).I agree that the 8 movie Hammer set is excellent with nice uncut prints including Curse Of The Werewolf.I also have the Val Lewton Collection with the excellent Isle Of The Dead & The Bodysnatchers (Uncut unlike our tv screenings)BTW My Bloody Valentine is a must own for slasher fans.Even if the missing footage of Friday 13th Pt 2 was found & restored tomorrow it's unlikely to match the brutality of this film.Now it lives up to its title !.Hopefully the remake will be half decent.

mark meakin 7th January 2009 01:45 PM

I'm lucky at the moment regarding the missus as due to me being pretty successful winning the Shameless comps,the odd crafty purchase can be passed off as another win.;).My wife does not know a fractionj of the films I own so they're easy to hide on my shelf.The paper shredder also comes in handy for the bank statements I get to first.

mark meakin 7th January 2009 02:01 PM

Tell you what Cloud I'll stick MBV on Ebay £4.99......plus £14.99 P & P like the other rip-off merchants !;)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 7th January 2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 19958)
I'm lucky at the moment regarding the missus as due to me being pretty successful winning the Shameless comps,the odd crafty purchase can be passed off as another win.My wife does not know a fractionj of the films I own so they're easy to hide on my shelf.The paper shredder also comes in handy for the bank statements I get to first.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's brilliant mate! Luckily for me, I don't have a missus problem! But a student problem; DVDs or food? Mmm. Not a tough choice really! ;)

Pete 7th January 2009 02:19 PM

Buy some DVD'S and eat the one's you didn't like. That will solve your problem. They taste lovely with a dollop of tomato sauce.:D

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 7th January 2009 02:31 PM

Thanks for the tip Loops. I'll have to give that a try. Hopefully the shit ones will taste better than they look. Oh, well, they probs taste a hell of a lot better than the ready meals I live off :P

cloud 7th January 2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 19956)
Naturally a polite refusal is called for. ***K OFF !.;).I agree that the 8 movie Hammer set is excellent with nice uncut prints including Curse Of The Werewolf.I also have the Val Lewton Collection with the excellent Isle Of The Dead & The Bodysnatchers (Uncut unlike our tv screenings)BTW My Bloody Valentine is a must own for slasher fans.Even if the missing footage of Friday 13th Pt 2 was found & restored tomorrow it's unlikely to match the brutality of this film.Now it lives up to its title !.Hopefully the remake will be half decent.

Hey come on, don't be like that. You've seen it now so it's not like you'll be revisiting any time in the next year or two. You've been talking too much to Reaps you have, he's corrupting your mind.

My 2nd and final offer, £6 and you cover postage costs... Deal?