Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179412Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th March 2013, 04:55 PM
Ex-member

Wrong Turn 3 4 5 are all directed by Declan O'Brien.
A lot of people who like the first 2 think he ruined the series but I like them all alot, I like how each one is slightly diffrent 2 is the reality show, 3 is a prison bus, 4 is a prequel in a asylum and in the snow and lastly 5 is set with a festival taking place and contains the brilliant Doug Bradley (Pinhead) in it as the leader of the pack.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 16th March 2013, 05:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
So what are the sequels like thought the first two where ok
Like the first two.

The third had no budget and only one cannibal dude and was practically unwatchable in places.

I will watch parts four and five. When i can pick them up for pence on Amazon.
Old 16th March 2013, 06:43 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Saw Lizard in a Woman's Skin last night at my local indie volunteer-run cinema. Had seen it before but always a great film to revisit. They had a bit of a Eurodisco on in the bar after too. Great night overall. They're showing Vampyros Lesbos tomorrow as part of the same Eurocult season and finishing off with a Tinto Brass film in Thursday.
Old 16th March 2013, 06:47 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Saw Lizard in a Woman's Skin last night at my local indie volunteer-run cinema. Had seen it before but always a great film to revisit. They had a bit of a Eurodisco on in the bar after too. Great night overall. They're showing Vampyros Lesbos tomorrow as part of the same Eurocult season and finishing off with a Tinto Brass film in Thursday.
Sounds great.
There are no such places where I live...

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2
Old 16th March 2013, 06:55 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Sounds great.
There are no such places where I live...

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2
Yeah Newcastle has 2 great indie cinemas. The one I was at last night is kinda bohemian and like I said purely run by volunteers. They even have a philosophy whereby people seeking asylum or are unemployed will get in for free and they even make a point of saying they'd never turn anyone away on the door due to lack of funds. The Eurocult seasons been pretty cool too with every film getting an introduction from a film lecturer from the university and they even screened a 35mm print of Possession, which I sadly had to miss. When I get more free time I really must volunteer there.
Old 16th March 2013, 06:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

KILLING SPREE - An unreasonable man with a stuck-on beard gets angry and gets even when his wife goes on a shag rampage with various repair / delivery men... only to find himself in a weird comedy of errors with a living dead climax. This is a kind of fanish non-cinema - it's badly made, but smugly knowing and on some levels clever, before these traits became indie staples. I really got into it. Its deliberate disjointedness invigorates as much as it frustrates, with all manner of bad taste gags played out against an uber-bland eighties backdrop of arid suburban interiors. The high point for me was an unfeasibly drawn out negotiation amongst a bunch of zombies about how best to kill the main character. From Tim 'Truth or Dare' Ritter, and likely to be of interest to fans of long forgotten eighties trash.

TALES FROM THE GIMLI HOSPITAL - Wonderful early Guy Maddin. An oneiric wander through layers of pre-talkie stylisation... maybe it doesn't always 'work' in its attempt to conjure the twenties and thirties, and sometimes betrays an element of clunk, but when it hits, it's beautiful. This is more about symbol and associative drift than plot, but basically it has to do with a guy with a mysterious disease who finds himself in a story within a story within a hospital where all kinds of (seemingly oedipal) fantasies play out. Highly recommended.
Old 16th March 2013, 07:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Default Vengeance

Final film for tonight ...

Vengeance from Hong Kong action director Johnnie To is another of his explorations of the darker side of Hong Kong. After his daughter’s family are gunned down in their Macau apartment, French chef Francis Costello commits to avenge their deaths. To fulfill his promise he enlists the aid of three Chinese hitmen to hunt down and execute the men responsible, a journey that takes him through the darker side of Macau and onto the fragrant harbour of Hong Kong.

Whilst much of the dialogue is in English the (very cheap) German blu-ray is unfortunately not English friendly, the French and Mandarin dialogue having only German sub-titles.

Vengeance cements Johnnie To’s position as on of the most interesting of the current crop of Chinese (Hong Kong) action directors providing both the balletic gun play of masters like John Woo together with an interesting exploration of the relationships between men of violence and the codes of honour that they live by.

Recommended.
bdc and pedromonkey like this.

Last edited by SShaw; 16th March 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 16th March 2013, 07:44 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Thanks for the review,I recently picked up the HK dvd but still have to watch it.
Guess I just couldn't resist a Johnnie To film which stars Johnny Hallyday.
Old 16th March 2013, 09:16 PM
Cult Rookie

Good movie
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 16th March 2013, 11:48 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicbomb View Post
Wrong Turn 3 4 5 are all directed by Declan O'Brien.
A lot of people who like the first 2 think he ruined the series but I like them all alot, I like how each one is slightly diffrent 2 is the reality show, 3 is a prison bus, 4 is a prequel in a asylum and in the snow and lastly 5 is set with a festival taking place and contains the brilliant Doug Bradley (Pinhead) in it as the leader of the pack.
Only ever watched the first one in the cinema, which I really enjoyed except for the one girl in it who just seemed to spend three quarters of the movie screaming and crying about nothing. Really must catch up on the sequels. The lack of Ms.Dushku hasn't really inspired me to prioritise them.
trebor8273 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!