Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179450Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th March 2013, 11:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

First film of the day at SShaw Towers was Lovely Molly which I have on the U.K. blu-ray. This is a genuinely scary movie, my initial thoughts can be found over on my diary thread where I reviewed it as part of my visit to Edinburgh last year.

Second film for today was the wonderful Excision (UK Blu) which, you guessed it, you can read more about over on my diary thread.

And finally I started on my David Lynch box set up with Dune. I read the novel as a young teenager when it was republished to coincide with the cinema release, I remember in his introduction Herbert alluded to the fact that Lynch had shot a tremendous amount of footage that had been excised from the film. I still live in hope that one day somebody will assemble a print from everything that was shot.

Last edited by SShaw; 17th March 2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 17th March 2013, 12:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Cabin in the Woods (2012) errr....ok! Homage or rip off of every cliché in horror?
Old 17th March 2013, 01:07 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
The Cabin in the Woods (2012) errr....ok! Homage or rip off of every cliché in horror?
Its a fine line isnt it, I'd say homage because it knowingly nods to its influences from the horror genre.
Old 17th March 2013, 01:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Its a fine line isnt it, I'd say homage because it knowingly nods to its influences from the horror genre.
I'm leaning in that direction as well, but as you say 'a fine line'. Went into it without knowing to much about it and somewhat influenced by some of the reviewers here.
Old 17th March 2013, 05:07 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
Nightmare City

I've always been impressed with Lenzi's epic cheese-fest. But last night I noticed just how insane the body count really is!? Can't think of anything that comes close, Dawn of the Dead makes you numb to the violence over it's running time, but you can't even begin to take in all the carnage going on in Nightmare City!
Well said. That's why I love this flick!

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2
Old 17th March 2013, 05:27 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaKaitlyn View Post
I'm leaning in that direction as well, but as you say 'a fine line'. Went into it without knowing to much about it and somewhat influenced by some of the reviewers here.
Honestly, I think it becomes the things it's paying homage to or poking fun at. And when you are poking fun at cliches by doing those things on screen, it's the same as seeing them in any other horror film. Though Cabin does pick up when they get to the elevator scene.
Old 17th March 2013, 05:49 PM
Cult Addict

Kill zombie!

Dutch zombie film where a russian sattelite crashes into the city spreading green mould that causes a zombie epidemic. Does very little origional, but does it well the film is a lot of mad fun going for a shaun of the dead approach to the horror. As long as you dont expect anything game-changing it'll pass the time well.

Devil's business.

Was worried i'd be getting kill list-light, but this short, sharp slow burning horror works well and dosent really benefit from the comparison, though the 'pinter-esque' label works somewhat better. Very short at a little over an hours running time it has some great dialouge betwen characters, some nasty shocks and is well worth picking up. If you have a thats entertainment near you go for look in the store as I got this one in their 3 for 5 quid deal.
Old 17th March 2013, 06:06 PM
Cult Acolyte

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)

The Evil Dead (1981)

Hammer Films...

Dr Jeykll And Sister Hyde (1971)

The Curse Of The Mummy's Tomb (1964)

The Snorkel (1958)
Old 17th March 2013, 06:12 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
Dr Jeykll And Sister Hyde (1971)
Fantastic film with excellent dialogues and quite a bit of blood. Love it!

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2
Old 17th March 2013, 06:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Town That Dreaded Sundown

Made a start on checking out some seventies horror I’d never seen for the Top 100 Seventies Movies thing. This one won’t make my list for sure! It wasn’t terrible, but I did find it a bit on the bland side. The patronising narration was quite a distraction, especially when he told you “It was March 31st” as the caption ‘March 31st’ appears on screen! Also found it tonally quite muddled. While the attack sequences were well handled, they clashed badly with the jokey, almost farcical scenes with the police (undercover cross-dressing? Really?!). It detracted from the ‘true crime’ realism to have those wacky scenes with the goofy desk sergeant, like two different films edited together . . .
Hawkmonger and Handyman Joe like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!