All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179478Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2013, 04:35 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
just finished gremlins 2 and watched deadly blessing a few days ago
I'm sorry that I've asked every person who talks about their copy, but what card did you get?

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 30th March 2013, 07:18 AM
Active Cultist

3 viewings so far over Easter

Red Road - one I missed and was glad to get the blu for 6 quid in HMVz last knockings. I'm glad I did its excellent, even if it makes my native Glasgow look like an ante chamber of hell. Actings great across the board and I love the directors visual eye - that's Fish Tank added to the ever lengthening Criterion wish list.

Got Zombieland in Poundland (indistinguishable!). Never seen this either. Not really my bag but had its moments. Some of the writing in the VoiceOver made me cringe but I don't think script polishing was high on the agenda here. File under OK timewaster. Edit - how could I not mention BMs cameo - a keeper for that alone.

Session 9 - old fav, not seen for about 10 years. Holds up really well, but you have the nagging feeling with a little more work on the dialogue/characterisation/plotting it could have been a masterpiece. Never has a movies location carried so much weight - that place is terrifying. Some great shudders in here - deserves a blu ray so we can see into those shadowy corners...
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 30th March 2013, 08:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Got Zombieland in Poundland (indistinguishable!)

Agreed on all three of those. I love those two Andrea Arnold films, yet to see her Wuthering Heights. I too found the Zombieland narration let the side down, far too smugly hip / Americanly sentimental for my taste . . .

Compliance

Brilliantly maddening, 'based on true events' tale of a prank caller, posing as a cop, who convinced employers to humiliate employees he said were stealing from them. As an examination of how blindly we comply with those in perceived power, I found it pretty compelling. You find yourself asking ‘what would I do in this situation?’ Sadly I think I would be manipulated in much the same way – the merest whiff of authority and I become a submissive wuss! The superb performance of Ann Dowd as the wholly manipulated employer helps to sell the premise, although believability is stretched to breaking point well before the end. The Innkeepers Pat Healy is also fantastic as the prank caller, milking the audience hatred of his character for all it’s worth! Well worth seeking out.
Old 30th March 2013, 09:13 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Compliance

You find yourself asking ‘what would I do in this situation?’ Sadly I think I would be manipulated in much the same way – the merest whiff of authority and I become a submissive wuss!
Well that's what it's all about. Personally I wouldn't. But then I already manage a large team of staff, many of whom handle cash, so it's easy to imagine that situation taking place and just as easy to know I would have bluntly told them to come in and deal with it themselves if there's criminal implication involved, or no deal. I think at most it would result in the staff member being taken aside and questioned, but nothing else. I think that's why I found it so immensely frustrating (and fascinating).
Old 30th March 2013, 09:31 AM
Cult Acolyte

Frustrating and fascinating is right! Mad to think the same prank was carried out over 70 times across America Wikepedia tells me the incident was also dramatised in Law & Order, with Robin Williams playing the prank caller . . .
Old 30th March 2013, 10:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Frustrating and fascinating is right! Mad to think the same prank was carried out over 70 times across America Wikepedia tells me the incident was also dramatised in Law & Order, with Robin Williams playing the prank caller . . .
Yeah, I read about the L&O episode. Never watched it, but could be a fun one to check out. I can imagine Robin Williams doing very well in that, as the guy can do creepy.

I also looked up the real-life case afterwards, as at the time I thought "It can't have gone that far in real life". But yes, yes it did. Astounding.
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 30th March 2013, 10:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
I'm sorry that I've asked every person who talks about their copy, but what card did you get?
Knightriders
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 30th March 2013, 10:51 AM
Cult Addict

Watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit blu last night. Not seen it in about fifteen years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Think a lot if it went over my head last time I seen it. So great film. As a blu ray however it's not the best. The picture in darker scenes is awful with the contrast just collapsing. And the weirdest thing is going on with the surround track which is supposed to be a 5.1 mix but actually plays as a 7.1mix. If anyone else has it and watches it through a surround sound setup let me know if you get the same thing?
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 30th March 2013, 12:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

last nights viewings, really disliked dead and breakfast the reviews on the back, people had to be watching a different movie than me it was just awful and painful too watch and comparing it to shaun of the dead
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0291.jpg (94.3 KB, 8 views)
PaulD and Metallicbomb like this.
Old 30th March 2013, 12:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

First half of the afternoon was spent in front of Livid (U.K. blu-ray). I saw this when it was on at the pictures last year and really liked it. I see no reason to change my view after rewatching it at home. Now I am off into the snow to see if I can find something to watch later this evening.
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!