Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179038Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2013, 03:15 PM
Cult Acolyte

Casualties Of War (1989)
Brian De Palma Vietnam War film, based on a true story from 1966.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 30th March 2013, 06:22 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit blu last night. Not seen it in about fifteen years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Think a lot if it went over my head last time I seen it. So great film. As a blu ray however it's not the best. The picture in darker scenes is awful with the contrast just collapsing. And the weirdest thing is going on with the surround track which is supposed to be a 5.1 mix but actually plays as a 7.1mix. If anyone else has it and watches it through a surround sound setup let me know if you get the same thing?
I have the Steelbook and will report back on the soundtrack when I've seen it, probably this weekend.
Old 30th March 2013, 06:47 PM
Cult Addict

Appreciated. It's weird. My amp even says 5.1 on the display but is actually putting out full 7.1 dts.
Old 30th March 2013, 08:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

The final film for today was A little bit zombie which is an American comedy. Unfortunately theres nothing here for anybody over the age of 15. A comedy with no jokes. Avoid.
Old 30th March 2013, 09:33 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The Criminals (1976)

Another Shaw Brothers anthology film.

But where Return of the Dead (1979) actually resembled a HK version of Tales from the Crypt,this one resembles a HK version of Crime Suspenstories or Shock Suspenstories...

I especially enjoyed the first two tales (the first one foreshadowing more modern Cat III crime thrillers) but the last one wasn't bad either (the ending could have been better imho).

So far I've really enjoyed these Shaw anthology films so I'll have to seek out more.

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 30th March 2013, 10:28 PM
Cult Rookie

Rik, sawyer6 and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 30th March 2013, 11:50 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It ain't horror, but damn it's good!

A faithful adaptation of Miller's graphic novel DC hit it off with this animation.
sawyer6 and Hawkmonger like this.

Monster Magnet
Old 30th March 2013, 11:54 PM
Ex-member

Grave Encounters
Grave Encounters 2
Old 31st March 2013, 07:08 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Another mixed bag this weekend:
'Bay of Blood'. My first Bava, won't be my last. Really enjoyed it, though I'm not sure about the final scene - wtf?

'V/H/S'. Total garbage. Nothing to like here. Very disappointing.

'A Lonely Place to Die'. Outstanding first hour, let down slightly by the last half hour. Top notch PQ, and the AQ was also great - very clear dialogue etc. Was the first BD I've watched on my new player, and I've turned the Dynamic Range Control on, which apparently makes low-level audio more audible. No more constant changing of the volume, hopefully.

I'm thinking 'Halloween 3' for tonight.
Old 31st March 2013, 12:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

HOME MOVIE - 'Found Footage' type affairs aren't usually my bag, but I thought this was quite good. A camcorder charts the violent breakdown of a young family. The initially likeable parents are in fact raging narcissists, so no wonder their objectified, silent children go on a murderous rampage. Some scenes manage to be both funny and harrowing - the scene at the thanksgiving dinner table, for example. Other aspects stretch credulity - the psychiatrist mother conflates her familial and professional roles in order to treat her children medically, whereas no-one in that position would take such an unsophisticated approach. Still, pretty disturbing viewing on the whole.

THE PSYCHO LOVER - Gonzo trash from yesteryear which could only come from SWV. A Spock-like psychiatrist with a ridiculous car is on the tail of a serial rapist whilst conducting an extra-marital affair and harbouring a hidden agenda of his own. It swerves from sickly exploitation to a weird riff on the Manchurian Candidate and ends in death by television. Quite an oddity.

DEADLY WEAPONS - More SWV, more oddity. Chesty Morgan wants to kill the mobsters who double crossed her boyfriend with her grotesquelly outsized breasts. I think that's all there is to say really, apart from, if you're familiar with the work of Doris Wishman, you'll know what to expect - a feverish collage of off-kilter angles, shots of feet, strange mind games issuing from paintings and decorations... don't press play if in doubt of own sanity.

Like this? Share it using the links below!