Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179617Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th May 2013, 09:28 PM
Cult Addict

Tuesdays recently have involved me keeping one of my friends up to date with a few films. Today watched...

PUBLIC ENEMIES: Real shame this underperformed at the box office, Michael mann is a great director and he really delivers with this one. Johnny Depp is great as John Dillinger and the film really captures the period tone. Mann handles the robbery scenes brilliantly, but then he did also direct a little film called HEAT.

13 ASSASINS: Takeshi miikes occasionally offbeat action movie may feel a little 'mainstream' than some of his wilder films but it proves beyond doubt he can shoot solid action scenes as well as any director i've seen. The film still holds up on repeat viewing as does...

OUTRAGE: Takeshi Kitano back in full yakuza mode with this excellent tale of deception, betrayal and double crossing. Still retains the pitch black humour of earlier Yakuza films and while as a director he may have spent some time shooting somewhat 'artier' fare he's still able to deliver classic Yakuza action as well as the master Kinji Fukasaku.
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 28th May 2013, 09:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Evil Dead (2013) not the road crash I expected. Adequate.
Old 28th May 2013, 11:10 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

SINISTER. Pretty good in a nonsense sort of way, as are all these ghost and demon films of late, except the excellent LOVELY MOLLY. One word of advice when watching films with ghost/demon children in them, make sure your own 5 year old son is in bed and not out of bed to stand in your peripheral vision making you jump up to the ceiling in fright. Little f*cker.

THE SAPPHIRES. Fun with a travelling band in 'Nam.

HARDBOILED. Chow Yun Fat is possibly the coolest man to walk the earth, well until BULLET PROOF MONK anyway. Woo's Hong Kong action films have never been bettered by the West and this is my favourite of them. Outstanding even today.

THE SHRINE. I know this has been getting a lot of love on here lately but I found it lacking until the all out Hammer/Eurohorror assault at the end. Interesting,but a bit too flat for my liking. Any Polish Labbers care to tell me what was being said for the most part of the film?
Old 29th May 2013, 03:18 AM
Cultist

Inugami (Japan, 2001)

Akira, a teacher from Tokyo, has just arrived in a small rural town to begin his new job. Soon after arriving, he meets, and begins to fall for, Miki, a papermaker and part of a large and unusual family. When he learns of an ancient legend that the family carries the curse of the Inugami, or Dog God, he brushes it off as silly superstition. After a series of mysterious deaths, however, the townspeople begin to grow restless, and Akira must confront the truth about Miki and her family.
keirarts, sawyer6 and troggi like this.
Old 29th May 2013, 07:30 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched Star Trek Into Darkness yesterday, loved it; less lens flares, excellent acting by Pine, Quinto and Cumberbatch and at some parts completely surprising
fuzzymctiger and troggi like this.
Old 29th May 2013, 09:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by klownz View Post
Inugami (Japan, 2001)

Akira, a teacher from Tokyo, has just arrived in a small rural town to begin his new job. Soon after arriving, he meets, and begins to fall for, Miki, a papermaker and part of a large and unusual family. When he learns of an ancient legend that the family carries the curse of the Inugami, or Dog God, he brushes it off as silly superstition. After a series of mysterious deaths, however, the townspeople begin to grow restless, and Akira must confront the truth about Miki and her family.
And?? I liked this, though it's been a while.

AAAnyway. Manhattan Baby (L Fulci, 1982). Say what you like about MB, you certainly know it's on screen haha. Mate has expressed an interest in seeing CITB (as his first LF? Nae on my watch haha), though I'm going to steer him towards ALIAWS.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th May 2013, 09:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
AAAnyway. Manhattan Baby (L Fulci, 1982). Say what you like about MB, you certainly know it's on screen haha. Mate has expressed an interest in seeing CITB (as his first LF? Nae on my watch haha), though I'm going to steer him towards ALIAWS.
Acronym's 'r' Us . .
Old 29th May 2013, 09:53 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
And?? I liked this, though it's been a while.

Yea I thought it was pretty good but I do need to re-watch the last 15min or so to make my mind up on it, and the film was a bit more ambiguous than what I was expecting overall, the scenery throughout the film is beautiful, I even found myself being distracted away from the subs because I was admiring the view really well shot I thought all the scenes in the woods were.

AAAnyway. What did you make of the ending?
Old 29th May 2013, 10:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by klownz View Post
Yea I thought it was pretty good but I do need to re-watch the last 15min or so to make my mind up on it, and the film was a bit more ambiguous than what I was expecting overall, the scenery throughout the film is beautiful, I even found myself being distracted away from the subs because I was admiring the view really well shot I thought all the scenes in the woods were.

AAAnyway. What did you make of the ending?
Hmmm. Ambigious is a good word. Was it all hysteria brought on by belief in a "curse"? But as I say its been a few years.......

I also watched Gangsters, Guns & Zombies, which has 3 decent lines in it. To give you an idea, one of them is....

protagonist trapped in toilet cubicle by horde, responds to their clamouring with the exclamation "This one's taken!!!" (yeah, I know, but after 80 minutes of geezah cliches....)
klownz and troggi like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th May 2013, 05:38 PM
Cult Addict

I watched I Monster, with Cushing and Lee on the horror channel yesterday. One of the weakest films I've seen these two great actors team up in. Although probably not helped by the incredibly dark murky print that was screened.
Then last night i gave Romasanta The Werewolf Hunt a go. Poo poo, that's what I thought.
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!