Like Tree179020Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2013, 03:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
I give up, it was fun while it lasted put you are all pulling my plonker now, aren't you? "the Goatman Murders is fun, it is sick, it is short and it does have some great gags in it but come on it's not THAT great!
You said your daughter loved it.
Old 17th June 2013, 03:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Phase IV (1974)

Wow, this film left me cold. I found it so boring. When it comes down to it its just stock footage from National Geographic of ants under the earth and two blokes in a lab playing with knobs and dials.

Look at the poster below.... cool isn't it? Well its nothing like the film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (12.3 KB, 6 views)
Demoncrat and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 17th June 2013, 05:19 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Aw, you can't tell me the Safe Haven segment didn't at least unsettle you?
Maybe if I hadn't just watched the redband trailer 20 minutes beforehand...... We'll never know haha.
fuzzymctiger likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th June 2013, 05:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
Valhalla rising

Great atmosphere in places, but ultimately it left me cold, thinking is that it.
Aye, but watch it again....see what you think then.....was of same mind initially...now I loves it.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th June 2013, 05:29 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
Depends on the car, meal or woman though.
Even lesser movies can have one or two moments that make 'em worthwhile.
That's definitely true.

Sent from my I9100 Galaxy S II via Tapatalk 2
Old 17th June 2013, 07:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Phase IV (1974)

Wow, this film left me cold. I found it so boring. When it comes down to it its just stock footage from National Geographic of ants under the earth and two blokes in a lab playing with knobs and dials.

I watched "Phase IV" at a small screen cinema when it first came out and again when it was broadcast on T.V. On neither occasion did it leave me "cold" except with the chilling thought that we may be underestimating the intelligence of "hive-minds"!

True, there is a lot of footage of ants, that's what the film was about, it would have been silly to show footage of dung beetles. The film is slow, quite clinical and, I feel, a tad scary. Not demon-possessed-maniacal-vampire-serpent-alien-monster-ghost scary but we-are-living-on-a-planet inhabited-by-other-intelligences-that-could-turn-on-us scary. More of an intellectual fear than a BOO! you've shit your pants fear!

The whole film is story driven and if you don't follow the story then the film will be boring because it will just be images of ants doing what ants do and two guys playing with their knobs! It's like reading a graphic novel if you don't read the story and dialogue all you have is sequential art.

I must admit that I haven't seen the film on dvd, or anywhere else for many years. Maybe the film has been re-cut and edited thereby losing some of the storytelling aspect of the original. Maybe it's just that today's audiences expect more out of a film than images of ants doing what ants do and two guys playing with their knobs! If I can remember a-rightly the image on the poster of ants crawling out of a hole in a hand is actually in the film also so there's no false advertising there. Maybe I'm just prematurely senile and I'm mis-rembering things but I quite liked it and will by the DVD if I see it around AND if I have mis-remembered stuff and I hate it I'll tell everybody here the address of the rest home I'm retiring to so that they can send their hate-mail and dead ants to me!

Monster Magnet
Old 17th June 2013, 07:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
I watched "Phase IV" at a small screen cinema when it first came out and again when it was broadcast on T.V. On neither occasion did it leave me "cold" except with the chilling thought that we may be underestimating the intelligence of "hive-minds"!

True, there is a lot of footage of ants, that's what the film was about, it would have been silly to show footage of dung beetles. The film is slow, quite clinical and, I feel, a tad scary. Not demon-possessed-maniacal-vampire-serpent-alien-monster-ghost scary but we-are-living-on-a-planet inhabited-by-other-intelligences-that-could-turn-on-us scary. More of an intellectual fear than a BOO! you've shit your pants fear!

The whole film is story driven and if you don't follow the story then the film will be boring because it will just be images of ants doing what ants do and two guys playing with their knobs! It's like reading a graphic novel if you don't read the story and dialogue all you have is sequential art.

I must admit that I haven't seen the film on dvd, or anywhere else for many years. Maybe the film has been re-cut and edited thereby losing some of the storytelling aspect of the original. Maybe it's just that today's audiences expect more out of a film than images of ants doing what ants do and two guys playing with their knobs! If I can remember a-rightly the image on the poster of ants crawling out of a hole in a hand is actually in the film also so there's no false advertising there. Maybe I'm just prematurely senile and I'm mis-rembering things but I quite liked it and will by the DVD if I see it around AND if I have mis-remembered stuff and I hate it I'll tell everybody here the address of the rest home I'm retiring to so that they can send their hate-mail and dead ants to me!
I'll watch it again when i recover from the crushing blow that it wasn't a giant ant destruction fest.
bdc, Demoncrat and troggi like this.
Old 17th June 2013, 07:26 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

The US Legend Films dvd can be found very cheap nowadays.
troggi likes this.
Old 17th June 2013, 07:51 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Phase IV (1974)

A classic case of false advertising looking at the cover.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 17th June 2013, 07:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
A classic case of false advertising looking at the cover.
How come Saul Bass didn't do a cool poster for it You'd think he'd want to pull out the stops for his own film . . . !
troggi likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!