Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179480Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th July 2013, 09:03 PM
Cult Addict

Also just finished EXTERMINATOR 2. Terrible movie in many ways but its so hard to dislike, pretty much epitomises the best of Cannons output!
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 7th July 2013, 09:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium View Post
A Field in England

Really enjoyed this, but it's guaranteed to divide people as it's easily Wheatley's least accessible and mad. Considering how much I'd read regarding how weird it gets (and it does) I found myself surprised at its restraint, which was great as it's a slow burner with a few unsettling moments, rather than the psychedelic barrage that I'd somehow expected.

I certainly expect it to grow on me with repeat viewings as it's got loads going for it: a great small cast, beautiful b&w cinematography, trippy imagery and impressive sound design and music. I didn't even try to make sense of it as it's clearly not that sort of film, but rather one you let wash over you. Sure it nods at other genres such as English folk horror, but I was pleased to see it isn't a Witchfinder General, but very much its own peculiar beast. And as for the imagery: there's one slow mo scene involving Reese Shearsmith walking out a tent that I found genuinely unnerving.
Yes. Yes. And thrice yes. Actually, I can't think of much else to say, I agree with it all! I was also surprised at the films restraint. I was expecting 40 minutes of impenetrable Lynchian madness (which also would’ve been good!). And yes, I agree the multiple reviews alluding to Witchfinder General and Blood on Satan’s Claw were a little misleading. I felt the tone was more in line with Antonia Bird’s Ravenous – that kind of playful, blackly comic tone, and curious approach to its period setting. I’ve not seen so many reviews talk about the humor. Personally I found Richard Glover (great in Sightseers) hilarious, and I loved that scene where Whitehead tries to explain astrology to him. I also never had a problem with the unconvincing sense of period, and the series of tableaux helped to enhance that theatrical feel. And yes…slo mo Shearsmith emerging from the tent will probably be the most memorable single shot of the year.

I never really paid attention to the cast list being in alphabetical order. I was surprised how small a role the top billed Julian Barrett had!

So yeah, really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the commentary . . .
Old 7th July 2013, 09:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
I never really paid attention to the cast list being in alphabetical order. I was surprised how small a role the top billed Julian Barrett had!
Him being listed in the cast on IMDb is probably the only reason I stuck it out to the end, what with him being a drinking buddy and former bandmate of a guy I worked with for years(had a few mental nights out in Leeds with him, he's actually funny in person too!)
Slippery Jack and Hawkmonger like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 7th July 2013, 09:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Him being listed in the cast on IMDb is probably the only reason I stuck it out to the end, what with him being a drinking buddy and former bandmate of a guy I worked with for years(had a few mental nights out in Leeds with him, he's actually funny in person too!)
Oh that's pretty cool. I walked past a cafe in London last year and saw him and wife Julia Davies (VERY cool comedy couple ) sat in the window . . .
Old 7th July 2013, 09:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Oh that's pretty cool. I walked past a cafe in London last year and saw him and wife Julia Davies (VERY cool comedy couple ) sat in the window . . .
Yeah, my mate was actually cast as an extra in an episode during the third series, he played some kind of weird dustbin man, think it was the Crack Fox episode, can't remember now
The last time we went out with him( to watch a band play in Bradford), Noel Fielding was supposed to come, but he was ill, I was pretty gutted because a night out with them two would've been insane!
Slippery Jack likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 7th July 2013, 09:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Yeah, my mate was actually cast as an extra in an episode during the third series, he played some kind of weird dustbin man, think it was the Crack Fox episode, can't remember now
The last time we went out with him( to watch a band play in Bradford), Noel Fielding was supposed to come, but he was ill, I was pretty gutted because a night out with them two would've been insane!
Yeah I'd grown bored of The Boosh by the time the third series came around, but the first series is a cracker! He was ace in Nathan Barley too. Rik and his celeb mates . . .
Rik likes this.
Old 7th July 2013, 09:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Yeah I'd grown bored of The Boosh by the time the third series came around, but the first series is a cracker! He was ace in Nathan Barley too. Rik and his celeb mates . . .
Nah, he wouldn't have a clue who I was if I bumped into him in the street, I've only met him a couple of times.
It was the Crack Fox episode, my mates in it for a split second at about 21:50, on the left waving

Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 7th July 2013, 10:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Just finished Knightriders and absolutely loved it. I had fairly average/low expectations since, from the plot description, it sounds like it could only be a complete mess but I'd actually rank it amongst Romero's best. Great transfer on the Arrow blu too
Old 8th July 2013, 11:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Dark Night Of The Scarecrow. For a TVM, it has guts. And twas nice to have a decent print after all these years.

Tender & Perverse Emanuelle. The JF jag continues (have just preordered Hot Nights Of Linda, so my first blu ray will be one of his, wheeee ahem). Whilst not as madly immediate as some of his work,
I still find something of note in this. Watching it again tonight sober.

Black Christmas (Bob Clark). Mate had acquired the remake. I felt ill. Soothed my soul by rewatching this classy, effective thriller.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th July 2013, 01:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

geekdog.jpg

And now... "If you liked Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet you'll like Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women!

Why? Because they're the self same film with some bits cut and other bits added. That's right, three quarters of this film is actually Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet with Basil Rathbone and a few of the original actors cut out and some wooden "blondes" added. Some fab primitive effects and too much shrill "singing" make this film easy to watch but difficult to hear.

Unfortunately the sound and picture quality are not saddled with the epithet of "quality" as most of the colour is washed out and I had to turn the TV up by 50% of the usual volume to catch the dialogue. Turning the volume up had a less than satisfying effect when it came to the theramin produced "siren song" sound effects!

All in all a more satisfying attempt at the same story as Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet. 8/10 for the rubber pterasoaur god, Tera!

That's 2 discs down, 10 to go!

Monster Magnet

Like this? Share it using the links below!